Losing inches not weight!

Options
How can I continue to lose inches month after month but not lose a lbs?

Replies

• djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I wonder this also. I am seeing definition, but not losing any weight!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Losing inches = you win. :flowerforyou:
  • kindabored
    kindabored Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    gaining muscle because it weighs more than fat
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Uhhhhh....my advice, if you are losing inches, forget the scale numbers and keep doing what you are doing. Thats a win by any measure.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    ^^ Muscle does not weight more than fat, but it does take up less room.

My inches always change before the scale does.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The lost inches and better definition is what's important. You are obviously losing fat and gaining muscle. This is a good thing!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    No.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.
    AS IN if you had a square inch of muscle it would weigh substantially more more then a square inch of fat.
    You should just worry about body fat percentage and throw the number on the scale out.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Win - Win..

Muscle does Not weigh more than fat.
    A pound, is a pound, is a pound, is a pound.
    It doesn't matter what that pound consists of

Pound per pound muscle is Smaller than fat.

You are (happily) no doubt losing fat and gaining muscle.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches and not pounds I'd guess you're toning up which is awesome. My understanding is that since muscle takes up less space than fat if you're replacing fat with muscle you'll lose inches, but weight will stay the same. 1 pound is 1 pound whether it's fat or muscle, but I'd rather have the muscle.

Congrats on you lost inches. :)
  • queentitania
    Options
    As you gain fitness, you tighten up. You may be gaining muscle and losing fat at the same rate. The scale can go in the garbage, IMO. Your body is shrinking and firming up, so ignore the scale and track with the measuring tape. The scale will move again if you keep up the healthy lifestyle, but the scale is just a number. It won't tell you what is actually happening to your body.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing a serious lifting program and eating a surplus, you are probably not gaining muscle. Sorry.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, who cares about the weight? Way to go!
  • fatt_boyy_slimm
    Options

Muscle does not "weigh" more than fat. Muscle is more dense than fat, meaning given an equal volume of muscle and an equal volume of fat, the muscle will weigh more (be heavier) than the fat. What appears to be happening is that the "weight" (pounds) is simply being contained in a smaller vessel (girth of waist/hip/thigh, etc). Think of it this way: 1 pound of brick = 1 pound of feathers = 1 pound. You need more feathers ( large volume container) to equal a pound of brick (small container). As an earlier poster stated: Losing inches = Winner!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Packing on the muscle and shreddin the fat.

1 pound of fat weighs as much as 1 pound of muscle but takes up much more space!!!!
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    ^^ Muscle does not weight more than fat, but it does take up less room.

My inches always change before the scale does.

For love the of water! LET IT DIE...
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    This is fast becoming a "muscle vs fat weight" thread.

Need a gif ...

STAT !!
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to read your question; either you're finding you're losing inches and the scale isn't budging, or you're happy with the number on the scale, just not with how your body looks. I'm going to go with the assumption of the former.

To lose inches without losing weight would mean that you're:
    a) building muscle mass and
    b) losing fat in proportion to the muscle mass you are gaining.

This is a very good thing. Unlike fat, muscle is active tissue which only serves to increase your base metabolism. Your body needs more calories to maintain itself when you have more muscle tissue.

The major problem with scales is that they only tell you one thing, how much the whole package (water, bone, fat, muscle) weigh. Because you don't know the proportions, you might come to the erroneous conclusion that nothing is happening because the number isn't changing. The fact that the total volume (i.e. the fit/size of your clothes) is changing means something is happening. Its all about density. Looking at fat vs muscle, the volume of material for the same weight is noticible. Take 1 lb of butter and 1 lb of steak and physically do a side by side comparison. You'll see that the space occupied by the pound of butter is much greater than the pound of steak.

Do yourself a favour and pay more attention to your tape measure and how you're physically looking and feeling than a number that doesn't give you the whole story.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Seriously. everyone knows 1lb of fat and 1lb muscle are the same weight. the amount of volume the 1lb muscle takes up is alot less than the 1lb of fat. so if you have the same exact volume of each the fat would weigh more.

but yes that is a good thing.
  • TanyaEberle
    TanyaEberle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feed back that helps!