Salad Dressing Recipe BOTH low sodium AND low fat??

Options
I would like to replace high-sodium fat free commercially made salad dressings with something I can make at home. I can't seem to find a recipe that is low in both sodium and fat. Other than salsa, does anyone have something for my salad?

Thanks!

Barb

Replies

• chipmunk_87
    chipmunk_87 Posts: 42
    Options
    I just use plain lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and a little grain mustard.
  • FrankieTrailBlazer
    FrankieTrailBlazer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    and if you dont have any lemon or grain mustard around, the balsamic vinegar works is tasty on its own too :-)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    The blog penniless parenting has an AMAZING zesty italian dressing recipe. It is not low salt\ low fat but can easily be converted. Either omit the salt (or drastically reduce it) and replace 90% of the oil with water chicken broth (low sodium of course). I usually use water and its still amazing.

Just from memory the recipe is (I omitted the salt and oil)

1c apple cider vinegar
    1 c water
    1 table spoon each oregano andd basil flakes
    1 teaspoon each onion powder, garlic powder, parsley flakes
    Optional...pinch of cayanne.

It is by far my favorite salad dressing....though I do usually add about 2 tablespoons of oil since I don't want no fat (just low fat).
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Or raspberry vinagrette.

In blender mix 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, 1 cup apple cider or raspberry vinegar, I small shallot ot half teaspoon onion powder, 2 tablespoons honey sugar or sugar substitute.
  • Billiejo77
    Billiejo77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't use much for dressing, cottage cheese is really good with salad AND it's protein :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Or raspberry vinagrette.

In blender mix 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed raspberries, 1 cup apple cider or raspberry vinegar, I small shallot ot half teaspoon onion powder, 2 tablespoons honey sugar or sugar substitute.

This looks yummy ..... Thanks!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Or raspberry vinagrette.

Missing a crucial ingredient for that to be a vinaigrette...
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When having Greek salads - I either use a store bought or make a tzatziki sauce -- if you Google the recipe you will find it is not too bad with fat or sodium if you stick to the portion size.

If I want a more Asian Flair I will make a Ginger dressing -- if you substitute a lower sodium soy sauce and reduce the oil added it is still really good.

I will also just do balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

The Raspberry Vinaigrette sounds good too!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use a tiny bit of olive oil (like half a tablespoon if that for a big salad), red wine vinegar, and dijon mustard.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Why no fat? Fat is an essential macro, it tastes good and promotes satiety.

I make all my own condiments and dressings, but none of them are low fat. My ranch dressing has some yogurt in it so I guess it has the least fat of all of them.

Sodium is also no issue when it's sea salt. Our bodies need sodium AND fat.
  • Lessismore98
    Options
    1 Tbs. Mustard
    1Tbs. Honey
    1Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar

Huge flavor, no fat, almost no sodium, low cal
  • shalysewrightbethea
    shalysewrightbethea Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Throw an orange in a blender with some basil and parsley. Yumm! Depending on how low my fats are I may add olive oil.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I call it Apple Cider Vinegar... LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Why no fat? Fat is an essential macro, it tastes good and promotes satiety.

I make all my own condiments and dressings, but none of them are low fat. My ranch dressing has some yogurt in it so I guess it has the least fat of all of them.

Sodium is also no issue when it's sea salt. Our bodies need sodium AND fat.

and carbs and protein. Also fat fails miserably in the satiety department in isocaloric amounts to other foods. And lol differentiating that somehow sea salt vs other NaCl is better
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If I'm not using a store bought dressing I tend to toss things into the blender: greek yogurt or buttermilk, some herbs, a bit of vinegar or citrus juice, a pinch of salt/or not, and a little bit of olive oil.

The nice thing about homemade dressings is you control the amounts. If you want lower sodium use little to no salt, lower fat less olive oil or non-fat yogurt or buttermilk. I like grainy mustard and changing vinegars for vinegarettes as well. Use herbs and spices to flavor things if you cut the salt though so you aren't left with a bland dressing.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nice ideas
  • Erin0164
    Erin0164 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Flavored balsamic vinegar - amazing with just a tiny bit of oil. My favorites are Sicilian Lemon, Fig and Pomegranate.

http://gustareoliveoil.com/
  • cozyrosy44
    cozyrosy44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All of these sound tasty! I think its alright if your dressing is low fat instead of fat free though, you need some healthy fats to help make sure your getting all of the nutrients out of your fat-soluble vitamins. Extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar are delicious, and apple cider vinegar is too, lots of yummy health benefits :)
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My fave is balasamic vinegar with pepper and chopped fresh herbs, by varying the herbs its different every time, I usually add a little olive oil to help with absorption of vitamins, but on occasion have just used the vinegar. I keep herbs growing in a pot by the back door so all I have to do is step outside and snip off a little bit of whatever, A lot of taste for Just a few calories.
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes no sodium, fat free salad dressings....there are a few carried in Safeway, Wegmans, Giant, but their full line in on their website.