Stopped Snoring

Options
One of the best things that happened this winter when I started running was that I stopped snoring. Since snoring was one of the reasons I got serious about running, this is a major success story for me.

I am not absolutely clear whether it was the weight loss, the overall toning from running, or limiting alcohol, but whatever it was, I'm sleeping sounder and feeling better! Three months ago, I thought my girlfriend was going to go nuts. Now, she is also sleeping better and we hardly think about it, except to occasionally remark how nice it is that I don't snore anymore.

I can say that lifting weights without running had not fixed the issue, but I do also believe alcohol was part of the equation. Still, even when I enjoy a few beers now, I don't snore, so there is a definite connection to the weight loss and toning.

Has this happened to you or someone you care about?

Replies

• KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats, but I didn't know that running would help prevent snoring????
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Since running I have found my hayfever is a lot better and my breathing too. If you are breathing more clearly it wouldn't surprise me :o)
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    Running by itself, perhaps not, but weight loss is known to help with snoring. Alcohol is another known contributor.

Yes, I am breathing easier. At first, running was really hard because I was a former smoker.
  • wmbrett
    wmbrett Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Definitely my weight loss has dramatically reduced my snoring. Not saying I don't snore, but it used to be a constant complaint from my wife, and now she is very happy that I sleep relatively quietly - even after a few beers. She works in a hospital doing airways for surgery, and has indicated that obese (BMI) people generally have a very high percentage of sleep apnea, and in general, normal weight people (BMI normal) very infrequently have sleep apnea.
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    Definitely my weight loss has dramatically reduced my snoring. Not saying I don't snore, but it used to be a constant complaint from my wife, and now she is very happy that I sleep relatively quietly - even after a few beers. She works in a hospital doing airways for surgery, and has indicated that obese (BMI) people generally have a very high percentage of sleep apnea, and in general, normal weight people (BMI normal) very infrequently have sleep apnea.

It's great she can sleep better. Kind of makes you feel like all this sweating is worth it. A toast to you.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that weight loss has to do with the snoring stopping. In my case as soon as I reached 200lbs the snoring began and it got worst as I was gaining weight, got so bad I'd wake up and hear myself snoring... I am now down 37 pounds and apparently notssnoring as much...
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My husband completely stopped snoring once he got down to a certain weight, for him it had nothing to do with exercise or alcohol. One of three really positive effects him losing weight had for me. :laugh:
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    This gives me hope! For the past 5 1/2 years, my husband has had his own bedroom because his snoring is so horrendous I can't sleep at all! He just started going to a gym a few weeks ago and is trying to eat less, so hopefully he'll lose weight and stop snoring too!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I would love for my husband to do the same. Your wife is very happy I'm sure!
  • sydneyboy79
    sydneyboy79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weight loss reduced my snoring too. Do it for your partners, if no one else!
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    This gives me hope! For the past 5 1/2 years, my husband has had his own bedroom because his snoring is so horrendous I can't sleep at all! He just started going to a gym a few weeks ago and is trying to eat less, so hopefully he'll lose weight and stop snoring too!

We were considering it. People really do have to sleep! Good luck to you. I hope he sees results.
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that weight loss has to do with the snoring stopping. In my case as soon as I reached 200lbs the snoring began and it got worst as I was gaining weight, got so bad I'd wake up and hear myself snoring... I am now down 37 pounds and apparently notssnoring as much...

Thanks for sharing. I have hard other people tell me that there is a weight number for them where they just stopped completely.
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    I would love for my husband to do the same. Your wife is very happy I'm sure!

I was definitely motivated by not wanting to make my girlfriend irritable. Insomnia is so hard on moods. Maybe he will give it a try!
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    My husband completely stopped snoring once he got down to a certain weight, for him it had nothing to do with exercise or alcohol. One of three really positive effects him losing weight had for me. :laugh:

All these stories just motivate me to keep it up. Thanks!
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    Weight loss reduced my snoring too. Do it for your partners, if no one else!

Smiley, that was some of my reason for posting this. I hope more people (mostly men) will give it a try. It's just one more of the many benefits of exercise / weight loss.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't snore like I used to since I've started losing weight (down 25 pounds). I don't have full confirmation that I've stopped completely only because hubby works overnights. But he told me there's definitely a difference.

And I don't run lol
  • GregLeatherman
    Options
    I definitely don't snore like I used to since I've started losing weight (down 25 pounds). I don't have full confirmation that I've stopped completely only because hubby works overnights. But he told me there's definitely a difference.

And I don't run lol

When it comes to snoring, any difference counts!
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Embarrassing to say, but I started snoring as I gained weight, my husband teases me about it:embarassed: I knew the snoring was because of my weight, so that is one of many reasons I decided it was time to lose the weight and get healthy. Now if I can just get my husband to join me...he snores too!
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would love for my husband to experience this NSV. He has started losing weight, too! (Happy for him and proud of him.)
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I used to snore so loud (at 200 lbs) that I would wake up my Granddaughter at the other end of the house.
    It was a family joke how I could be heard snoring while everyone was in the family room watching tv and they would have to turn the tv up. (I used to take naps ALL the time).
    I still snore apparently, but very lightly. I have always been a snorer :)
    I don't wake people up now and they don't have to turn up the tv.

My poor husband has been a trooper through out it all and never once asked me to sleep in another room or asked me to.

I would wake myself up from snoring so loud. It was awful !

Congrats on the weight lose and for no more snoring !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!