• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I too hate boxed wines (cardboardeau).
    Try Australian, Wyndham has some great red under $20
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    It really depends if you like dry or not....I hate dry and like sweet but not too sweet (no syrupy sweet desert wines). I personally love just about any moscato di asti (sweet)....Cupcake makes a great muscato di asti. So does Santo and Jacob's Creek. My very favorite brand is Stella Rosa. They make a sweet red that is amazing. In fact, I think I have tried every one of their wines and love them all. They also do bubby moscatos in champangne bottles....amazing! Rozcato is great too (another sweet red).
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • cgarliepp
    cgarliepp Posts: 14
    Options
    from Costco: the La Crema Chardonnay is a nice wine at about $14 bottle, and the Menage a Trois (blend of Zinfandel, Merlot, & Cabernet) is very decent at $7 a bottle. Enjoy!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I prefer red blends. So, if that's what you are looking for, here are a few that we like.

Apothic Red
    Cupcake Red Velvet
    Bogle Phantom <
    This is seasonal and may not be in stock
    Big House Red
  • HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like reds and gravitate towards cabernets and pinot noirs. I love the Menage a Trois blend and the Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon. It's a fun process to find out what you really like. Enjoy! :)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

And lost of other reds out there... I'm not too snobby with my wine.

you LOST the reds! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.............. :sad: :sad: :sad: :happy:

okay just had to add that. i second red diamond, i like the following:

liberty school
    fat *kitten*
    beringer it's not bad for under $10
    main street
    raymond
    cupcake
    chatteau st michele
    leaping lizard (if you can find it)
    joel gott
    francis coppola
    paso creek

i prefer cabernet and chardonnay over everything else.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Kendall Jackson GRAND RESERVE Chardonnay .... $16ish/bottle but worth it :) SOOO much better than their Vintner's reserve....

Toasted Head Chardonnay isn't bad, either... or La Crema (both around $12ish per bottle)

Exact. Same. Ditto. :) (for whites)

Also, Las Rocas Garnacha is really good, and (pretty sure I'm recalling this correctly) we get it at Costco for CHEAP, like under $10/bottle. Espelt Garnacha is also pretty good, around $10 as well.
    There are also a lot of reasonably priced Australian Shiraz wines, and we've always been pretty happy with ones from around the Barrossa Valley (which it usually says on the bottle).
    For a really good red, Molly Ducker is wonderful. I think it's shiraz, or a blend. It's closer to $40, though. But, man, so smooth and delish.

None of these are very sweet, FYI.
  • jesgaa
    jesgaa Posts: 17
    Options
    Middle Sister Wines are good!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Layer Cake Malbec is my fave too! $12 a bottle and DELISH!
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    you can make your own with a gallon of juice(any kind), a balloon that fits over the top, a pound of sugar and a packet of yeast, and some patience. mix the sugar and juice, pour a cup of it and heat it in the microwave to the temp that activates the yeast. pour said yeast mixture back into the gallon, cover with a balloon. let the balloon fill up and when it's deflated...boom, best wine ever! than again i prefer whiskey
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    moscato is delicious... : )
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I usually look for wines that are 8-16 a bottle for regular/casual use... I like both whites and reds as long as they are not too sweet. Wine beginners tend to like reisling or moscato. I know it's a cheep table blend - but i love menage a trios blends, just give me a hunk of blu cheese and a glass of the red blend and I am happy! :)

coppola cabernet is good
    sofia rose is good
    Root cabernet is good
    most german Rieslings are good
    Ramona singer has a good pinot grigio
  • CeCe_711
    CeCe_711 Posts: 35
    Options
    Owen Roe Sharecropper's Cabernet Sauvignon - it ranges from $15-$20 a bottle and is my FAVE wine

Patch Block Pinot Noir - $7-$10 a bottle and is really good at a cooler temp. I love taking this one on picnics, it's a twist top!

Old Soul Petite Sirah - $15 a bottle

2011 Domaine de la Pepiere Muscadet - ranges from $15 - $20

Ménage à Trois Red Blend - is decent for picnics or just to have a glass every once in awhile. I also prefer this one served cooler since the flavors aren't really complex. You can get this one at just about every store. $15-$20 a bottle

Peninsula Cellars Dry Riesling - $17 - $20 a bottle

Chateau Coucy 2003 Montagne Saint Emilion - AHHHHHMAZING wine. $22-$30 a bottle
  • Violets_grammie
    Violets_grammie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Louis Jadot (all varieties) is always consistent and reasonable at the grocery store...$10-$15 a bottle...I also like Apothic Red sometimes ($10)
    I live in North Georgia Wine Country and appreciate the local wines here, so as others have mentioned, I would suggest finding local wines in your area to find favorite's and support local ;-)

Had a Oak Leaf Chardonnay from Walmart the other day...I didn't hate it (I do not like oak) and at 2.97 a bottle you can find out if you like it w/o breaking the bank. I have managed a winery and work in hospitality so I appreciate great wines...just take one at a time and explore...

For the record: My favorite wine is from Wolf Mountain Winery in Dahlonega, Georgia...Stainless Steel cast, Viognier and Chardonnay blend...so good!

Such fun! Good Luck!
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love wine! Around summertime, I enjoy whites more than reds. My favorite (albeit, a little pricier than some) is Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. At 87 calories per glass, it's the perfect guilt-free option!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine but I would be broke if I spent $10/bottle... I usually get the $2.99 bottles from trader joes (not sure of the brand) or Oak Leaf (I think that's the name) from Harris Teeter.... those are $2.89/bottle (and they also do a 10% discount when you get 6 bottles). Basically the cheapest bottle that the store I'm at has... $3.99 at food lion... tastes good to me.... but I'm not a wine snob. Tastes better than "chilled red" or whatever cheapo kind comes in the box.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I LOVE wine but I would be broke if I spent $10/bottle... I usually get the $2.99 bottles from trader joes (not sure of the brand) or Oak Leaf (I think that's the name) from Harris Teeter.... those are $2.89/bottle (and they also do a 10% discount when you get 6 bottles). Basically the cheapest bottle that the store I'm at has... $3.99 at food lion... tastes good to me.... but I'm not a wine snob. Tastes better than "chilled red" or whatever cheapo kind comes in the box.

try 1967 from trader joes (i think it's $5.99) and then try oak leaf - you'll quickly see the difference. if i had to a really really cheap bottle i would buy charles shaw (or 3 buck chuck) from trader joes before oak leaf.
  • NotRailMeat
    NotRailMeat Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    As an avid wine drinker with a cellar of more than 100 bottles I guess I would have a slightly different view of the definition of "good wine". For me, with some exceptions, there are no "Good" bottles of wine for less than $25. And when there are, I usually save them for the 3rd or 4th bottles of an evening with friends when taste is less important.

My (general) recommendations would be:
    1) Pinot Noirs from the Russian River Valley in Sonoma
    2) Cabernet Sauvignon or Chardonnay from the Napa Valley
    3) Rhone style reds from the California Cental Valley (Paso Robles)
    4) Syrah (Shiraz) from Australia
    5) Malbec from Argentina
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Fetzer & Beringer are my favorite cheapies! $7-10 depending on the store.