The China Study

Options
sa11yjane
sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
Being vegetarian and with a few unresolved health issues that are being investigated (possible auto-immune illness, chronic fatigue) plus I have lipoedema and am on 75mg thyroxine a day due to a low thyroid function, the China Study has been recommended to me. Before I invest in yet another book, does anyone have this cookbook and do they find that they use it? Amazon displays the contents and the recipes all sound delicious but it would be good to know if anyone else likes the foods that they produce from it. It seems to be that the china study is ultimately recommending a vegan diet and I am a bit concerned about dropping eggs and cheese ie my protein which everyone keeps saying I should be eating more of. Maybe someone has a great vegan cookbook that they can recommend? Any reasonable advice appreciated. I have read many reviews on Amazon of the study so don't really need strong views and opinions on the actual study.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Being vegetarian and with a few unresolved health issues that are being investigated (possible auto-immune illness, chronic fatigue) plus I have lipoedema and am on 75mg thyroxine a day due to a low thyroid function, the China Study has been recommended to me. Before I invest in yet another book, does anyone have this cookbook and do they find that they use it? Amazon displays the contents and the recipes all sound delicious but it would be good to know if anyone else likes the foods that they produce from it. It seems to be that the china study is ultimately recommending a vegan diet and I am a bit concerned about dropping eggs and cheese ie my protein which everyone keeps saying I should be eating more of. Maybe someone has a great vegan cookbook that they can recommend? Any reasonable advice appreciated. I have read many reviews on Amazon of the study so don't really need strong views and opinions on the actual study.

Thank you in advance!

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

That link has a lot of resources that go through great lengths to refute the china study. Basically the study has people believe it's some kind of miracle, and it's not. Basically she talks about confirmation bias, and the flaws used by epidemioligical studies to reach conclusions of this sort.

As far as your actual question goes:
    The internet usually has more then sufficient resources for finding ways to go about whatever lifestyle you'd like. If you're really dead set on finding actual books on the subject, your area probably has some kind of 2nd hand bookstores. I like popping into those types of places just to see what they have (because you might not actually find what you're looking for). Some of my trips I've gotten $100+ cover price worth for less then $15-20.
  • GreenChile3
    GreenChile3 Posts: 65
    Options
    sounds like yet another fad diet. dont waste your money. Why not just eat right and exercise.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My Endo suggested I look into this as well (I have Hashi's). I watched Forks Over Knives...which is basically the same thing. I haven't gone Vegan, but I have cut gluten grains and all dairy out. I use coconut or almond milk products now and still eat fish and occassionally chicken, rarely beef. I feel TONS better. I don't think you need to waste money on any books. Go to Barnes & Nobles and read parts of the book to see if it makes sense to you. I just did research online. :)

Edited to add -I skimmed over the part you said you were vegetarian, my bad! You can get protein from sources that aren't from eggs and cheese, but you also don't have to stop eating eggs. There are Vegan protein powders that are GF that you might want to try to help keep your protein intake up if that is a concern. However, quinoa is a complete protein source with all amino acids. And there are many other sources of protein for Vegans such as all different kinds of beans, veggies have protein, sprouts are packed with protein, and don't forget nuts/seeds.
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I wish you much luck and success in your own weight-loss journeys. I'm off to the library to look at their free books- why I haven't considered doing that before I'm not sure!!! xxx
  • Dorkalina
    Dorkalina Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's not a fad diet. It's the longest study on nutrition ever conducted. 20 years in the making. Dr. T. Colin Campbell has been studying nutritional science for over 50 years. Far longer than anyone else. His findings are published in over 350 peer reviewed journals. I press anyone to find any other researcher who can come close to that.
    Dr. Campbell has no financial stake in this - - no fee required seminars, no workshops, no diet plans. Nothing. Just the results of his study found in his book after decades of research. He is 79 years old!
    What he found, to his amazement, is the direct link diet has on cancer, heat disease and auto-immune illnesses. In fact, it was so strong and direct and unbelievable that he conducted experiments over and over for years and years.
    T. Colin Campbell heads the Nutritional Science department at the prestigious Cornell University. He has appeared in the documentaries Food, Inc and Fork Over Knives. He has no financial stake in whether or not you believe him and either do I. However, though I am lucky to enjoy good heath, I follow the idea that a whole foods, plant based diet is best for us, and if I was suffering in any way, I'd certainly follow it.
    The China Study is not a cookbook, nor is it an easy read. It's science. The published results of 20 years work. The book Whole might be a bit of any easier read. I hope I helped clarify some questions. It's not a fad, or a cookbook. It's a way of life. One that has suited me well for decades.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    It's not a fad diet. It's the longest study on nutrition ever conducted. 20 years in the making. Dr. T. Colin Campbell has been studying nutritional science for over 50 years. Far longer than anyone else. His findings are published in over 350 peer reviewed journals. I press anyone to find any other researcher who can come close to that.
    Dr. Campbell has no financial stake in this - - no fee required seminars, no workshops, no diet plans. Nothing. Just the results of his study found in his book after decades of research. He is 79 years old!
    What he found, to his amazement, is the direct link diet has on cancer, heat disease and auto-immune illnesses. In fact, it was so strong and direct and unbelievable that he conducted experiments over and over for years and years.
    T. Colin Campbell heads the Nutritional Science department at the prestigious Cornell University. He has appeared in the documentaries Food, Inc and Fork Over Knives. He has no financial stake in whether or not you believe him and either do I. However, though I am lucky to enjoy good heath, I follow the idea that a whole foods, plant based diet is best for us, and if I was suffering in any way, I'd certainly follow it.
    The China Study is not a cookbook, nor is it an easy read. It's science. The published results of 20 years work. The book Whole might be a bit of any easier read. I hope I helped clarify some questions. It's not a fad, or a cookbook. It's a way of life. One that has suited me well for decades.

Agree
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    I've read the China Study book. I thought it was fascinating. Somewhere in there (don't remember where) it talked about the % of animal products in diet as relates to cancer. Cancer is something I'd like to avoid..... I think the threshold for notable impact was somewhere in the 10-15% of calorie range, but I don't remember exactly. I've just cut back the quantity of meat when I cook.

I'm not vegetarian nor do I plan to become so, but I have reduced my animal product consumption significantly. Besides, I love the veggies!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

original.gif
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Many PHd researchers dispute the validity of the China Study. Here is a link to a discussion by a vlog by a bodybuilder with a PHd in nutritional sciences. In this he discusses the pitfalls of the china study.

http://www.biolayne.com/uncategorized/biolayne-video-log-4-myths-about-protein/
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've read it. Would I recommend it-sure. Do I agree with the author. No way :)
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've read the China Study book. I thought it was fascinating. Somewhere in there (don't remember where) it talked about the % of animal products in diet as relates to cancer. Cancer is something I'd like to avoid..... I think the threshold for notable impact was somewhere in the 10-15% of calorie range, but I don't remember exactly. I've just cut back the quantity of meat when I cook.

I'm not vegetarian nor do I plan to become so, but I have reduced my animal product consumption significantly. Besides, I love the veggies!

Correlation does not equal causation. Which is why there's so many absurd claims out there, especially with epidimeological studies. Most of the population still believes that cholesterol is linked to heart disease, and the data shows that's all but false.
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    I really do appreciate all your responses. Whether or not people dispute his evidence, his findings seem to me to be quite logical as do his dietary recommendations. Ultimately he is just recommending a really healthy way of eating that can't possibly do anyone any harm so surely it's a win-win situation- one can't possibly lose out by following his dietary recommendations so, without having it take over my life, I shall endeavour to incorporate his ideas into my confused diet!

Thank you all and all the very best with your own weight loss journeys xxx
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Working in the cancer field I see vegetarians with cancer. The China Study is just bogus. Cancer and diet is an interesting and controversial field. Different ethnic groups have different rates of cancer. Japanese have a higher rate of esophageal cancer but lower rate of colon. People from India it is the opposite. No diet will prevent cancer they have found cancer in Pharaoh's mummies.
  • sa11yjane
    Options
    Interesting..... thank you x
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    I watched forks over knifes and I am transitioning into a vegan diet.

But thats just me. Diet is personal to everyone. :)
  • oddspongeout
    Options
    Hm. I think it's odd that you have low thyroid function, yet were told to read The China Study. I haven't read it myself, but I know it's something along the lines of pro-vegan propaganda (this coming from a vegan) based on rural Chinese diets. I'd imagine soy is touted as being the perfection of all food. . . And I didn't know this (because my doctor is nothing short of a drug dealer), but apparently people with low thyroid function should avoid soy. If you're taking medication, soy basically prevents it from working, or something to that effect.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Working in the cancer field I see vegetarians with cancer. The China Study is just bogus. Cancer and diet is an interesting and controversial field. Different ethnic groups have different rates of cancer. Japanese have a higher rate of esophageal cancer but lower rate of colon. People from India it is the opposite. No diet will prevent cancer they have found cancer in Pharaoh's mummies.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Brilliant and true..actually having several fam members die of cancer..and also having an amazing Doctor...I know now that EVERYONE has cancer! Diets can help but we all have the cells within us:)
    KR
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Hit your macros, complete your proteins, get all your micros (supplements or foods), avoid trans fats, and make your changes sustainable. If some fad diet allows you to do this then go ahead.
  • noahsmama33
    noahsmama33 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

YES!! Thanks for this post!