Running shoes

Options
Hi! I was thinking about starting the c25k soon and I'm doing some researching and people say that you need good shoes, as you do with all running. I have cheap shoes, but I have flat feet and I went to the orthopedics and they made me 600 dollar custom insoles for my shoes (so they're not cheap haha) and I have those in my tennis shoes. I was wondering if that was sufficient enough not to hurt my feet and knees, or if I should still go out and buy better shoes and put my insoles in them.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• elisew34
    elisew34 Posts: 27
    Options
    Do you have a good sports store nearby? Most good sports shops should have someone who can do a gait test for you to ensure you get the right running shoes. Overpronation can cause severe injury (as I'm sure you're aware) so yes it's important that you get the right trainers and not rely on insoles alone.
    I have found the Asics Nimbus gel 14 running trainers to be ideal for me with having a neutral gait but I did loads and loads of research on running shoes before I started and had the gait test done.
  • emily487
    emily487 Posts: 5
    Options
    I agree with Elsie. I started the C25K and I also have flat feet with $500 orthotics, haha. I went to a store in NYC called The Running Company, where they basically had me run on a treadmill with my current shoes (and orthotics) and then again trying my orthotics in a few pairs of different shoes. They videotape the running (just your feet/legs) and then they can show you how your feet are in the shoes. I found it really helpful in terms of buying shoes that fit with my orthotics. I'm sure a running or sports store may have the same thing.
  • nitole111
    nitole111 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I didn't know they could do that, and I'll have to check and see if there are any sports stores anywhere near me!
  • Hatchling84
    Hatchling84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree, determine your gait by going to a shoe store that has experience in determining your gait. Thought I was a neutral runner and found out I mildy over-pronate, since getting my NB 1080 V2's my shin splints have gone away.