How to get ready for Spartan? Crossfit?

Options
Ok folks, I searched for this topic already but didn't find what I was looking for. I'm doing my first Spartan in 42 days. I run, I lift weights, I zumba, I'm active, BUT I want to take it up a notch to make sure I rock Spartan. What are your recommendations? I was thinking of doing a month of Crossfit! Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• c21alicia
    c21alicia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too am getting ready for the Spartan Race and am wondering the same thing. I know several people who go to Crossfit and it sounds amazing. I have been thinking about joining Crossfit myself. Also, I have been told by a friend that Insanity has helped her. My chiropractor suggested using a kettlebell to help with my endurance. Hope this is helpful.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about Insanity too, but I hate working out at home! I don't push myself as hard I think! I called Crossfit and he said he has a lot of people that are training for Spartan. I'm going to go check out a class and see if it offers any more than the classes at my gym. I do have a kettlebell, I will have to start using that as well. Thanks :) good luck with your race. When is it?
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! I ran the tough mudder and crossfit was all I did to "prepare" per se.

Remember that most of the battle is actually mental more than physical. MInd over matter and push yourself throughout . You'll do great!
  • Jenph20
    Jenph20 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I ran my first Spartan race last year and it was amazing :) I did Insanity and p90x really, so crossfit would be a great workout!! There is a lot of strength for the Spartan race. Crossfit is an overall body workout, so it would definitely help!!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Crossfit is a very controversial workout program. Some Crossfit facilities are OK, but others are very poorly run.

It is important to know that some Crossfit coaches only have a Level 1 training certification-- which basically means they paid Crossfit $1,000, and took a 2 day workshop. I would advise anyone that's thinking about training at a Crossfit facility to make sure the coaches they will be working with have credentials in the physical fitness field beyond a Level 1 Crossfit certification and will permit you to observe some of their classes, make sure their coaching style works for you and that the coaches are reasonable in their expectations and are not pushing people to do more than they can safely accomplish.

Boot camp classes are another alternative you might want to consider. They usually include a good variety of different exercises, and the cost is usually less than Crossfit. But again, it's good to watch a few classes before you commit.

Good luck with your race!