Lunch Ideas

Options
I've never been a big breakfast eater, but since starting this journey, I've learned to suck it up & eat breakfast or drink a protein shake. However, my biggest struggle has been lunch. I normally graze on whatever the kids are eating for lunch, and then by dinner time, I'm starving, so I overeat. I'm also trying to get the hang of snacking, too, which I've never been a big fan of.

What are some easy, healthy, and filling go-to lunch meals for you??

Replies

• bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I eat a sandwich and some fruit on most days. I know that's boring but I work out around 11:00 every day so when I come home I'm hungry and need to get in a good serving of protein. I usually have 4 - 5 ounces of low sodium turkey or roast beef (Boarshead brand which is all natural) on either sprouted bread or a sprouted bagel. I load it up with veggies and a couple slices of avocado for some good fat. It keeps me satisfied until my afternoon snack.

You should try and eat every 3 - 4 hours to keep your metabolism humming along.
  • houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    I tend to make some massive salads for lunch. For example, yesterday I had baby spinach, chopped red onion, chopped baby carrots, a hard boiled, and black beans. Other than that, I tend to eat cereal for lunch, like the Kashi high protein and high fiber cereals. This is only M-F. On weekends, my husband gets creative in the kitchen, so I eat whatever he makes for us. I also snack on fruit, almonds, and baby carrots.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    1. Leftovers. If you're at home (which it sounds like you are), this is easy. This week, I've had homemade chicken soup and a refried bean taco.

2. Salads with protein. I keep a few large-ish tupperware bowls with prepared lettuces, so I can put together a salad pretty quickly. I'll add whatever protein is at hand. This week, I have some leftover roasted chicken breast meat. I've also added various cheeses from our cheese drawer and lunchmeat (ham). Hard-boiled eggs are also good. I also try to keep cucumbers, avocados, and cherry/grape tomatoes on hand.

3. Sandwiches. Really good is tuna salad with avocado. Some people use the avocado in place of the mayo. I like a little mayo in the salad (about 1 T for 2-3 ounces of tuna), and then I add sliced avocado to the sandwich. Also have roast beef or ham w/ Swiss cheese on rye bread.

4. Eggs. Sometimes I'll just make two over-easy eggs with some toast or leftover roasted vegetables.

Good luck!
  • ladydretza
    ladydretza Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my favorite is lo-cal wraps, 2-3 oz lunch meat, romaine or spinach, mandarin oranges (from my kids lunch supplies :), and Kens steak house low calorie raspberry pecan dressing (a little goes a long way). i ate the same wrap for a week, then switched it up the next week, same wrap, different meat, or put a little cheese, or substituted some cashews in there for crunch. I kept my wraps in the freezer, so the wouldnt dry out. you can pretty much do this as a salad too.

I also have a taco salad made with dorito's, i just go really easy on the dorito's because theyre high in salt, they are more of a garnish on top for a little crunch

Spinach - Raw, 0.3 cup
    Corn - Sweet, yellow, frozen, kernels cut off cob, unprepared, 0.3 cup
    Jasmine Rice - Jasmine Rice, 0.5 cup
    Frito-Lay - Doritos - Nacho Cheese (Single), 1 oz
    Tomato - Tomato Slice , 1 slice
    Beans - Pinto, canned, 0.1 cup
    Beef - Taco Meat, 0.3 cup
    Chobani Greek Yogurt - Vanilla Non-Fat, 2 oz

294cal 44carb 3fat 21protien 351sodium 8sugar
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I usually make enough at dinner to have lunch for the next day.
    It works flawlessly every single time for me.
    Hope this helps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I typically bring veggies & a piece of fruit to work ..... having healthy snacks helps me resist the vending machine. Have some cut up veggies available .... maybe some hummus.

Lunches are an add on .....cottage cheese and whole wheat toast, soup and whole wheat crackers, sometimes a large salad with grilled chicken, nuts (or sunflower seeds) and maybe strawberries depending
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My favourite is chicken caesar salad, with homemade dressing. Mmm!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Don't feel the need to eat breakfast or snack just because you think you have to - you don't. What matters is your total calories for the day and how meal timing fits into your lifestyle. When I worked in an office, I would usually skip breakfast or have a light snack so I could have a good-sized lunch, then have a mid-afternoon snack and a decent dinner (at about 9pm at night). I lost 20lbs doing that and fitting in exercise 3-5 times a week, usually 30 minutes to an hour each. It really depends on you - if you don't like breakfast, don't feel as if you need to eat it. Snacking between meals won't 'rev your metabolism', although some people need to do this to maintain their blood sugar levels.

Experiment with what meal timing and snacking helps you feel the most satisfied during the day. If you're not hungry, you don't have to make yourself snack. Your metabolism will do what it's meant to without any revving, and it won't die if you eat after 8pm like a lot of people say. :laugh:

Other than that, for lunch, planning ahead is key. I like to either bring leftovers or have lunch meat/tuna and bread/pita wraps available to throw together a quick and satisfying lunch. I added spinach to my sandwiches/wraps to bulk them up, but I could eat spinach all day...
  • Lambchoplollypop
    Options
    I find lunches the most difficult myself. I do:

wholewheat pasta with pesto/sauce or cous cous & mixed salad

wholegrain bread sandwich / wrap / pitta with egg or lean meat & salad

rice cakes with egg or chicken and salad, or peanut butter and apple or strawberry slices

soups - fresh supermarket ones or homemade if I have time

Poached or srambled eggs on toast with grilled tomatoes and mushrooms and occasionally lean bacon

Slices of peppers, cucumber, carrots, pitta bread etc. and hummus, salsa or guacamole for dipping