working with personal trainer

Options
So my friend who just lost a 100+ pounds has agreed to be my personal trainer for 3 months to get me on the right track to reaching my goal of 140 pounds but he feels that that wouldn't be a health weight for my height which is 5'6 . What do you all think about that weight and height ratio?

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Healthy goal weight is dependent on a whole bunch of things (frame size, muscle mass, personal preference). I'm 5'5 3/4" and 132lbs with a bit of muscle. I think that 140 sounds like a reasonable goal. If you have a lot of weight to lose then you will probably end up reassessing your ultimate goal weight as you go along. Best of luck
  • ChelseaLynn2014
    Options
    thank you for the input. I definetly think as i lose the weight then i will evaluate for myself because i do want to build muscle as well.
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 140 right now, and I can stand to lose a few pounds. I think that is a totally reasonable goal.
  • tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your goal sounds fine to me. I am 5' 4" and my goal is 133lbs (I would say I have a medium to large frame - definitely not small!!) - I will probably reconsider that when I get to 140lbs to see if it is attainable. The last time I successfully reached my goal weight was around 9 years ago, when I was doing WW and I reached a goal of 130lbs. Even at that weight, I could probably have done with losing a few more lbs.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

Use this to determine your goal weight based on goal percentage body fat.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and am almost 140 lbs (which is my goal weight too)!.. everyone is built differently though.. Once you dip below 150 or so I'd reevaluate and see what your thinking of beyond that point.
  • JacquiKerzman
    Options
    It is great to have a goal, I like all my clients to have a goal or it is easy to get lost or lose track. It may change along the way, depends on how much muscle you want to gain, want curves you will want some muscle :-). Start with that goal and just keep working towards it, make the major goal getting healthy and you will get there :-) Good luck, get set in your mind the time frame it will take to lose the weight, then settle in and enjoy the ride, its about loving yourself even more, enough to want to be your best healthy self!