Insanity foot pain and shin splints

Options
I am almost finished with week 2 of Insanity and I absolutely love it! However, I am experiencing terrible foot pain and shin splints. I have a brand new pair of good cross trainers and shin compression sleeves. I have gotten shin splints my entire life, but never this foot pain? Any suggestions? Rest is not an option, I would rather fight through the pain than quit. Thanks!!

Replies

• JoeChauncey
    JoeChauncey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity with a friend once (I'm a P90X guy myself), but I had terrible foot pain after 15 minutes of Insanity. I quickly found the issue in my case. My friend works out in his garage on the concrete. Usually, I work out indoors on carpet. With that said, what's the surface you're working out on? That could make a big difference.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm in week four of the program. I know what you mean regarding the shin splints and foot pain. It's difficult to deal with. I wish I could give you an easy answer, but I think a lot of people are going through the same thing lol! I just ice my shins nightly and use some icy hot on my feet and shins if need be!
  • tigster1980
    Options
    Visit a podiatrist. The shoes you have may be a well regarded brand but might not fit your foot well. Other than that, ice them after every workout.
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    B
  • globetrotter42
    Options
    Be very wary of foot pain. It can be debilitating for years upon years such as with plantar faciatis. See a podiatrist ASAP. Pain means STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. That is why you have pain. It alerts you if you listen to your body. Don't listen to your body and pay the price. It is steep.

If you fight through the pain as in the old motto of no gain no pain - you will lose. I tis only a matter of time until you are truly handicapped by pain and totally unable to exercise. It will take you years to be able to enjoy being able to be pain free and being able to exercise pain free. Think I am joking. Go ahead. Work through the pain and then tell me how that works for you.
  • courtneys131
    courtneys131 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm working out on carpet. Thank you for the tips!
  • BradD13
    BradD13 Posts: 10
    Options
    Well, have you ever had an ankle sprain before? If not then that's probably what it is and the pain's just radiating.

And if you're pretty sure that's not what it is, than I would feel the area surrounding where it hurts most and if it feels like there's fluid there, then you could have fractured a metatarsal, but if it's not too incredibly bad, there's really not much doctors can do for you unless, like I said, it's you have multiple fractures on the same bone.

It could even be a strain on any of the smaller ligaments or extensor tendons in your foot. If it becomes too painful, see a doctor, but I wouldn't be immediately concerned if flexing isn't overly excruciating. I personally use WalkFit to take care of my foot pain. It’s really simple to apply and use and the pain usually goes away after an hour of using it.

But if it's just nerve pain and you haven't actually damaged anything, I'd give WalkFit a try. It's probably one of the only insoles that helped relieve my foot pain when all the other over the counter stuff didn't quite cut it for me. There's an in-depth review of it here: http://reviews.3dsvita.com/walk-fit-platinum-review-is-this-a-scam/

Hang in there!
    !