THE AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR WORKOUT

Options
Anyone else enjoy the television show?

Watching it makes me wish there were similar obstacle courses available near where I live. If there is demand for Tough Mudder, I am guessing there would be sufficient demand to justify these type of obstacle courses to train on year round.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/american-ninja-workout?

I wish I could build my own course like this guy:
http://www.mensfitness.com/leisure/outdoor/build-your-own-american-ninja-warrior-obstacle-course

Only four people (out of several thousand who have tried) have ever finished the entire course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnSyQkZDBAI

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something I'd be game for. I definitely would not be running the following morning though... lol
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    never seen the American one but love the Japanese one.
  • Yukatakaytee
    Yukatakaytee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd watch this whenever I'd stumble upon it in Germany. It was so incredibly awesome. It's like the parcour in the woods we used to play in when we were kids for those of you who experienced it, but extreme!

I would seriously be more motivated to get back into shape as I used to be athletic if I had access to one of those! Even if less extreme.
  • cjec21
    cjec21 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I thought it was only three people that made it? I know one guy, Yuuji Urushihara, won it twice.

But Ninja Warrior is a big inspiration for me, I watch the Total Victory episodes before every workout to get me pumped. Too bad the American version is only exclusive to Americans, so I would have to fly all the way to Japan if I want to try it :(

As for obstacles, what I do is I look around and see if there are any objects that closely replicate the true obstacles. Examples would be:

1. Metal Stairs = Devil Steps
    2. Basement Support Beams = Cliffhanger (just hang from the second knuckles to simulate the 3 cm gap)
    3. Salmon Ladder = Peg Boards + Plyo Pull-ups
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    never seen the American one but love the Japanese one.

The Japanese one is the ONLY one.......just like the Japanese Iron Chef is the ONLY Iron Chef.
    Whatever we created here in America is simply a travesty compared to the original.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Love love love the show! I usually watch it when running and always gave a great run :) But I could never do it lol!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I watch this with my 2 kids weekly. I'm amazed at how fast some of the athletes are able to finish.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I have been watching the show for the past few weeks, and I love it. Some of the participants inspire me to believe I can conquer the obstacles too. Ha!