Do you lift heavy every workout?

Options

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    At a basic level, diet dictates the outcome of your exercise, generally speaking. Volume, intensity, testosterone level, comes into play of course but diet is perhaps the most crucial.

I don't lift heavy every workout right now. Right now my workouts I segmented by Max Effort (aka "heavy), Dynamic Effort (speed), Repetition effort (just what it sounds like). Every session doesn't have to be heavy but it can be if done correctly.
    You must be doing one of the Westside workouts.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an intermediate/advanced, you don't need deload days.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy three times a week (my only workout days). Every workout I try to progress to higher weights if I can...so NO, you will not get bulky.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    At a basic level, diet dictates the outcome of your exercise, generally speaking. Volume, intensity, testosterone level, comes into play of course but diet is perhaps the most crucial.

I don't lift heavy every workout right now. Right now my workouts I segmented by Max Effort (aka "heavy), Dynamic Effort (speed), Repetition effort (just what it sounds like). Every session doesn't have to be heavy but it can be if done correctly.

Ha, no I'm not doing WS although I very much enjoy WS. I'm learning The Cube Method which incorporates similar philosophies but the training cycles are split differently. I like it actually, it feels to be a lot less taxing than WS.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Ha, no I'm not doing WS although I very much enjoy WS. I'm learning The Cube Method which incorporates similar philosophies but the training cycles are split differently. I like it actually, it feels to be a lot less taxing than WS.
    I may looking into the cube method.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

At the very least it's worth a read. There's a thread going on it in the Powerlifting section if you want to follow.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, if it helps, I have two more testes than you and I'm struggling to "get big" lifting heavy despite eating a calorie surplus. Maybe I'm not grunting loud enough and throwing dumbbells on the floor after each set? :laugh:
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 say you should increase weight every workout for the first 12 weeks and NROL new rule #5 says you should set a record every workout either increased weight, sets or reps so having a light day is not recommended, the rest days are to recuperate ready for the next time.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Lifting makes women big? WRONG! Cake makes women big. Lifting makes women sexy.

Unless you are taking steriods, you will not get all muscular bulky looking. Even if you are eating at a surplus. Eat at too big of a surplus and you will get fat-big. But that will be a result of your diet, not lifting. Eat at a 10% surplus or so and lift heavy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

At the very least it's worth a read. There's a thread going on it in the Powerlifting section if you want to follow.

Off topic but.... how do you like it? Im running 5/3/1 right now and after I've been following Lilly's youtube channel for a while I am very intrigued. I like 5/3/1, but the progress is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow.... Is Cube Faster?
  • mommylifter
    mommylifter Posts: 123
    Options

Actually, I think it was Dwight who said it best:

6f59729b9a11463a0f3c058b84fc78d0.jpg
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

Actually, I think it was Dwight who said it best:

6f59729b9a11463a0f3c058b84fc78d0.jpg

You are correct. Saw that pic on fb not to long ago. It is true.
  • mommylifter
    Options
    I concur with the majority on here that lifting won't make me bulky, but that mom was adamant about it, so I just wanted to be sure I am not turning myself into a she-male.
  • mommylifter
    Options
    I'm also finding that on my rest days I am dead-beat exhausted. Could this be from lifting so much and eating at a deficit?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    ^ mommy, probably that and/or not enough sleep.

I typically do two heavy compound movements and 1 or 2 isolation exercises every day. If I pick up a light weight now it just feels kind of... pointless. I'd rather not sit there and pump out 20+ reps to get some benefit from it.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Oy. She could not be more wrong. Yes, I lift heavy every workout.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I know a girl who touched a barbell once. She turned into the she-hulk over night. NEVER LIFT HEAVY!!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy every day, but I lift heavy every time I lift...

^ This.

<--- I've been lifting heavy for several months. Before that, I lifted moderately heavy for a few years. Look at what a hulking beast I've become! :laugh:
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Lifting Heavy makes you huge!!!!

My before and after:

3870373_3415.jpg