Kids say the darndest things

Options
All throughout my weight loss journey, my children have been my biggest supporters by far. It is amazing to me the insight and support my kids can offer. They always remember to ask me about my progress and weigh in, congratulate me on going to the gym, applaud my successes, and offer words of encouragement if I have a gain or what I consider a diet malfunction.

So, my neighbor up the street, who after a few walks together quickly became a best friend to me, has also been struggling with her weight. It's been a tough journey for her, but I am proud to say she keeps trying again and getting back on the horse. Anyway, she was telling my 11 year old son Vance that she was going to get skinny. As my friend was telling me this story, I internally braced myself a bit, because you JUST NEVER KNOW what a kid is going to say! Any way, do you know what his reply was to her?

"You can do it, just like my mom did! My mom lost 65 pounds, and she is BEAUTIFUL!"

OMG, let me tell you my eyes filled up with tears as she recounted the story to me. Not just because of the compliment (though that means so much to me to know that he thinks I'm beautiful), but also with pride and love. He was so supportive and wonderful to another person who he knows is struggling. I had a moment in my mind where I could see the husband he would be one day, to some very lucky girl.

Just thought I would share :)

Replies

• kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Wow that is just a beautiful story and goes to show that that young man of yours is being raised right...you must be an awesome mom! Stories like that bring a big smile to my face. Congrats on the wt loss and even more important on having great children!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    Great story!!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    And I have to applaud you, because obviously you are doing something right in raising such a wonderful, encouraging, and polite son! That is absolutely adorable :happy:
  • fabmst
    fabmst Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's such a sweet story and such a testimony to your parenting. You should be proud!
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    omg! That is sooo sweet!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful little boy you've raised! Great story!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    awww!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That is so cute. MY eyes filled with tears!! You are so blessed to have such a wonderful young boy, and soon to be a young man! Great job mama!!

AND awesome awesome awesome job on your weight loss...you are a HUGE inspiration to me!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    That is seriously the sweetest thing I have ever heard. So sweet.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    AWWWWWWWWWWW......what a little sweetie!!!! lucky you!
  • telg1980
    telg1980 Posts: 25
    Options
    That is so sweet :smile:

My son told me this morning that I needed to work out more so Im not so squishy. Some kids.... :sad:
  • DianneMoreno
    Options
    That is so sweet! My eyes filled with tears when I read this too!

My son (5 yrs old) has shocked me with his support. The other day in the car with his little friend there was a lul in the conversation and nothing was going on. To fill the gap he says "My mom has lost 9 pounds, we are getting healthy so we can have a baby." It is so amazing to hear my words come out of HIS mouth. He loves to cook me eggs in the morning, and asks me how I am doing and how many pounds I have lost. He did the 30 day Shred with me last night (his cute version), and he watches me in awe as I train with my trainer. It is amazing how much he is learning as I learn. It makes it really feel like I have a partner in all of this - and the way he beams at me makes it all worth it :)

Congrats to you on your success!!!
  • jenn559
    jenn559 Posts: 11
    Options
    aww, how cute are your kids:)
  • absofsteel
    Options
    That is so sweet :smile:

My son told me this morning that I needed to work out more so Im not so squishy. Some kids.... :sad:

LOL !! now that sounds more like something my boys would say :ohwell:
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Jess, you should be so proud!! what an awesome kid! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!