What protein supplement do you use/recommend?

Options
I'm looking to buy a protein supplement (I've simply come to the realization that there's no way for me to get the protein I need with my dietary restrictions). What do you use/recommend?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Over the Moon chocolate milk. Fat free & 11g of protein per serving. If you need a bigger protein hit, I like Natural Edge Whey

Oh, and Kashi makes high protein cereals. The Golean has 13g of protein per cup, and goes great with fresh fruit :)
  • iwannawearatutu
    iwannawearatutu Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I recently discovered BSN Lean Dessert Protein shake mixes. I've tried 4 of their 6 flavors and they are all yummy. High in protein, reasonably low in carbs (imo... 8g per serving vs 20+ of protein). Delicious, not gritty at all, and mixes great with almond milk and even pretty good with just water if you don't want to spend those calories.

The chocolate could stand to be more chocolate-y, if you ask me, but it's still quite good. The vanilla and banana creme are also fab. I'm less keen on the cinnamon roll, but only in a "one of them has to come in last" sort of way. I still like it, I just find I drink it less often than the other three I have.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I eat well. No need for protein supplements. I do eat a clif bar for added carbs when I get ready for longer runs.
  • BeSexy
    BeSexy Posts: 94
    Options
    I've done some from GNC and Wal-mart both were good. Always prefer to do vanilla protein powder with banana, a little flax seed oil, mixed with skim milk.

Now, I do Shakeology. Chocolate with ALmond milk and fiber boost..... yummy! It's vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytonutrients, prebotics, and PROTEIN! I love it! I drink it everyday and my little one likes to finish it for me. She gets the milk mustache and all.... it's so cute.

Here is the ingredient list for it. I think it's a good amount of protein. I don't know exactly how much protein you are looking for.

http://myshakeology.com/uploads/fckeditor/mdbody/File/downloads/ShakeologyCocoa.pdf
  • Hoverlight
    Options
    Whatever you use, try and make sure it has a high amount of whey protein isolate (first on the list of ingredients would be best.) It's a higher quality protein than soy protein or whey concentrate. I use Syntrax Nectar powder packets and mix them up in water at least 1/day (they only have 90 calories, no carbs, and 23g of protein), but they're kind of spendy (and although they don't taste horrible, they aren't exactly delicious either.)

If you want super tasty, Premium Nutrition High Protein Chocolate Shake is smashing. It's creamy and better than regular chocolate milk, but it has higher fat content and the protein quality probably isn't as good. If you have a Costco nearby you can often find them in bulk for a lower price - otherwise they're kinda spendy too.
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally use the whey protein from trueprotein.com. They site also has has many other bulk powders that they will pre-mix into whatever proportions you want if you get to the point where you need something like that.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great recommendations, everyone. I'll be sure to check these out and see what I like.

CParter - I'm envious. I just canNOT seem to get enough protein. I'm supposed to be getting 103+ grams per day, and I seem to max out around 80 g. I'm going nuts on the egg whites, and trying to incorporate a little meat with my lunch and dinner, but it's hard. I ate vegetarian and then vegan for so long that I feel like I'm eating SO MUCH protein already compared to then.

Well, I'll get to the store and start comparing and price checking! It'll be super helpful to have the recs with me!
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What are your dietary restrictions? Is it just calories, or are there foods you are allergic or intollerant to? Because finding a supplement without either milk products or soy products is damn near impossible.
  • metizzy2
    metizzy2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I was told by my personal trainer to buy 100% whey protein and use it either as a meal replacement or a snack. I bought plain and banana cream. I would mix the two with water and it was very good, but I stopped drinking it because it makes me break out. Not sure why, but I get enough protein with the foods I eat anyway.
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I use Pro 5 and purchase is from NutriShop. Not sure if you have these stores by you or not, but if not, I'm sure you can purchase online from them. I really like this protein supplement. It primarily used Whey Isolate which is the most broken down form of protein you can get and is much more easily digested and absorbed. It also contains a natural digestive enzyme complex to improve the digestion. Aside from that, the taste of the flavors is probably the best I've tasted and I've tried several protein supplements. It comes in several flavors,which is also a plus. You may pay a few more bucks for it, but it is well worth it. At least in my humble opinion!
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I use Pro 5 and purchase is from NutriShop. Not sure if you have these stores by you or not, but if not, I'm sure you can purchase online from them. I really like this protein supplement. It primarily used Whey Isolate which is the most broken down form of protein you can get and is much more easily digested and absorbed. It also contains a natural digestive enzyme complex to improve the digestion. Aside from that, the taste of the flavors is probably the best I've tasted and I've tried several protein supplements. It comes in several flavors,which is also a plus. You may pay a few more bucks for it, but it is well worth it. At least in my humble opinion!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    my preference is whey. I buy Body Fortress brand. It's carried at Kroger, Walmart, and Target locally. I tend to only use it after heavy lifting mixed with 1% milk. Can't stand it mixed with water.