Will I lose Weight Fasting?

Options
Hi. Im gonna be fasting for a whole moth for religious reasons is July. I have to do this so I might as well ask,
will i lose weight like Will get skinner? I dont care about water weight. And if im fasting for a month ow much will I lose.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I think there's a slight possibility that not eating for a month will make you skinnier. Make sure you don't fast in bed or after 10 o'clock or you could gain weight.

Make sure and drink lots of water for sure.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im gonna be fasting for a whole moth for religious reasons is July. I have to do this so I might as well ask,
    will i lose weight like Will get skinner? I dont care about water weight. And if im fasting for a month ow much will I lose.

What kind of fasting will you be doing? Is it all day or just part of the day?

If it is a no food fast at all, you will most likely lose weight. I lose weight even if I limit my calories.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    What are the rules of this fast? I know Catholics can eat a little bit when they fast, just don't know what they can eat. To answer your question though, you'll lose a lot of weight. If you are overweight, you should lose fast. I'm assuming this is the first time doing something this extreme? If you fall low on electrolytes, you could pass out and never wake up. Make sure you take some potassium and sodium supplements along with this fast if you can make it past the first week, they are electrolytes. It'll keep you alive. When you are ready to do something more stable and long term for your weight loss goals, you can try intermittent fasting.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You still eat on religious fasts. You just don't eat in daylight hours. I'm not sure you understand how a religious fast works.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    more info please.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I usually lose a few pounds fasting for Ramadan.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming she's talking about ramadan since that is in July this year.

Rules...

No food, drink, anything from sun up until sun down.
  • iWaffle
    Options

What's Ramadan? Is that a Hindu festival?
  • fitnessprincess16
    Options
    okay Its called Ramadan. I am Muslim so therefore I will get sinned if I dont do it but anywyas. Heres how it works

you wake up at like 4-5 in the morning and eat and drink water and then when the call of prayer comes which is at 9:30 at night time THEN you eat. Fo I wait like 15 hours before I eat again
    And i will do my very best to eat healthy and not overeat...so there's your description
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The same rules apply as always. If you eat the same number of calories just at different times of day you'll have the same results you're getting now.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    okay Its called Ramadan. I am Muslim so therefore I will get sinned if I dont do it but anywyas. Heres how it works

you wake up at like 4-5 in the morning and eat and drink water and then when the call of prayer comes which is at 9:30 at night time THEN you eat. Fo I wait like 15 hours before I eat again
    And i will do my very best to eat healthy and not overeat...so there's your description

There are plenty of people who do intermittent fasting for their calorie goals. It is possible to gain weight or lose weight. It all depends on how many calories you consume. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The fast is from dusk till dawn.
    OP you could potentially lose weight if you use it like intermittent fasting. Generally however during this month as I'm sure you know after you break fast there is an innordianant amount of food to feast on so its hard to be disciplined after such a long fast since it is in the summer. Long story short. I am going to treat it like an IF and be disciplined and ISA I will lose weight!!!
  • LittleMsEva
    LittleMsEva Posts: 76 Member
    Options

What's Ramadan? Is that a Hindu festival?

I will be fasting too, Ramadan is a Muslim fasting month, 9th Lunar month in the Islamic calendar, fasting is observed from dawn till dusk =) Approximately 16-18 hours, of fasting (varies in some countries). cannot consume any water or food until during "Iftar" (After the fast, you consume the food)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i would think that you would lose some weight. it's almost like IF. just drink plenty of water and eat balanced healthy foods. once you start eating regularly again though you prolly will gain some of the weight back
  • iWaffle
    Options

You can eat all your calories after sundown before you go to sleep. You're not describing anything much different than what intermittent fasting plan offers. When I lived in Saudi Arabia nearly everyone was fasting during Ramadan but they all ate really well after sundown. The bigger issue is not drinking during the day. Just don't do anything to get dehydrated.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Seriously speaking, what matters is not when you eat but how much you eat. From sports, I know that people usually lose a few pounds during Ramadan, but it's primarily water weight, and they tend to become dehydrated when involved in strenuous activity. Keep that in mind if you're going to be working out hard in July. Still work out if you wish, but take precautions and if in doubt, cut the workout short.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ramadan is in July this year. You don't eat or drink (or smoke or have sex) from sunrise until sunset. A lot of people gain weight during Ramadan, because they're so hungry by mealtime that they gorge themselves at night (happens to my husband every year). You'll still eat breakfast and dinner, so you should just continue to track and eat with health in mind. The most difficult part is getting enough water in, especially with the heat of July.
  • chesq77
    chesq77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    to make it simple, if you do the fasts where you eat from daylight and stop at sundown...if you still consume your MFP calories during the time you eat, youll loose weight faster but not as much if you eat even less than whats considered your normal..if you eat less than your norm, youll lose weight at a faster pace...if youre doing a fast where you dont eat anything at all for that month youll lose all kindsss of weight...the weight you lose can be, from my experience, first water loss, then fat loss, then if you over do it, a little bit of lean body mass....if you hit your macros especially your protein, so you dont lose to much body mass, during the time you eat, you should be fine
  • StephanieLee85
    Options
    a few of my old work staff were muslim and did this they did loose some weight :)
  • fitnessprincess16
    Options
    IM serious about losing weight
    LAST Ramadan I ate watermelon and a little bit of cereal at 4 in the morning and at night time I ate 1 portion of wherever my mom made. I ended up getting sick so I didnt get to finish. And i remember i didnt binge i controlled myself.