Question about extra calories after exercising

Options
Behxo
Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
First off my food diary should be public to view. (trying to learn all I can when it comes to correct dieting) Okay so I burned a total of 600 calories today and with everything I ate today I almost much met my goal for cals if I didn't exercise. I exercised this morning and then after work and now since it's 7:47pm I still have a remaining 643 calories left. So my question is, am I supposed to eat an extra 600 calories or is that just leeway for if you added extra snacks into your diet or something? Thanks for your time! :]

Replies

• kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Depends on who is answering you. There are those that always eat back their calories. Those that never eat back their calories and those that eat back part of their calories. If you have your goal set by MFP there is a deficit already built into it for losing weight. To keep your body from not going into starvation mode or slower metabolism, you should eat back your calories. I usually only eat back some of my calories and that is because I do not have an HRM or FitBit and so I am using the best guess for calories for exercise that is listed on MFP. So to allow for error there or in listing my calories, I usually only eat part of them to be safe.
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat as much of mine back as I can and so far it's been working out.
  • Behxo
    Options
    sweet, thanks for your advice guys I appreciate it
  • btoeps74
    btoeps74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your diary. Looks pretty good from what I've seen.
  • LaurenEFord
    LaurenEFord Posts: 15
    Options
    I typically judge it based on what my body tells me. If I work out and feel like I'm STARVING- I'll eat back some of the calories. If I feel fine and my energy level is good then I don't eat.

I almost always eat back at least some, though. :-)
  • mrsjay4life
    mrsjay4life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My question are you trying to lose weight? Am not sure
    How much this site will help you but I had a similar question last
    Night and this site helped me hope it help you too. http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=8_reasons_why_youre_not_losing_weight
  • jordanduncan120
    Options
    I try not to eat the extra calories I get but I totally do sometimes. You need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Which means, you need to burn more than you ate.

My personal formula is this:

eat 1500 calories a day x 7 = 10,500
    body burns 1,432 calories at rest x 7 = 10,024
    need to burn 3,500 more calories MORE than what I consumed, in order to lose 1 pound

so 10,500 + 3,500 = 14,000
    need to burn 14,000 per week to lose one pound

body naturally burns 10,024 calories per week at rest
    so 14,000 - 10,024 = 3,976

i need to burn 3,976 calories during exercise weekly in order to lose 1 pound.

I found out how much I need to eat to maintain my health, and how many calories you have to burn to lose one pound of fat. Then I found out how many calories my body burns at rest. Going off of this, my calorie deficit is exactly 3,500. Of course, real life doesn't work like that, so I try to burn about 4000 calories a week and eat the best I can and hope it works out.
  • Behxo
    Options
    I just added a cup of Special K Vanilla Almond Cereal without milk to eat back at least some of the cals. That should be okay I think, also Almagumbs thank you for that link :]
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat the extra calories I get but I totally do sometimes. You need a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. Which means, you need to burn more than you ate.

My personal formula is this:

eat 1500 calories a day x 7 = 10,500
    body burns 1,432 calories at rest x 7 = 10,024
    need to burn 3,500 more calories MORE than what I consumed, in order to lose 1 pound

so 10,500 + 3,500 = 14,000
    need to burn 14,000 per week to lose one pound

body naturally burns 10,024 calories per week at rest
    so 14,000 - 10,024 = 3,976

i need to burn 3,976 calories during exercise weekly in order to lose 1 pound.

I found out how much I need to eat to maintain my health, and how many calories you have to burn to lose one pound of fat. Then I found out how many calories my body burns at rest. Going off of this, my calorie deficit is exactly 3,500. Of course, real life doesn't work like that, so I try to burn about 4000 calories a week and eat the best I can and hope it works out.

Is that 1432 number your BMR?

IF it is, that' snot what your body burns "at rest" as in "on an average day while I sit and watch TV and don't exercise."

Your BMR is the calories you would burn if you were lying in a hospital bed in a coma. IT's like the base fee that your electric company charges just to have electric service at all. But on top of that, if you'er awake and moving around, you'er burning more calories. Even having a few light bulbs on around the house adds to your electric bill, right? And the exercise is like running a space heater or air conditoner.

You shouldn't assume your todal caloric needs are "BMR plus exercise." They're actually "BMR plus the motor skills that keep me upright, speaking, and my eyes moving plus any additional activity I add on top of that.