Does walking count as exercise!

Options

Replies

• kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If you check the calories burned, a 4 mile per hour that is walked or jogged burns the same amount of calories. :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yes! I don't count things like walking around the grocery store, but if it walking outside of my normal activity I surely count it!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just got back from an hour+ walk and did 4.29 miles. I've been sitting for 5 minutes now and my legs are still tingling with the muscles firing. It's most DEFINITELY exercise and according to Run Keeper I burned 479 calories!
  • Grace4DebraAnn
    Grace4DebraAnn Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking definitely counts and exercise. Technically anything that you do that burns calories qualifies as exercise. :drinker:
  • mekobaby
    mekobaby Posts: 11
    Options
    The same amount of energy is expended (calories burned) whether you walk for run the same distance. The difference is running is a lot faster but does more damage due to the shock of falling/landing. Running is always better than sitting on the couch but it can land many of us with knees and hips that need to be replaced and even issues of incontinence, saggy skin and breasts. Walking is great...people who seem to have to walk everywhere like in Europe are generally thinner and a lot of them never 'go to the gym' or do any kind of structured exercise.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Some of these calorie estimates are way off the mark if all you're doing is casual walking. Intense power walking perhaps but definitely wrong estimates for your casual walking speed.
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Some of these calorie estimates are way off the mark if all you're doing is casual walking. Intense power walking perhaps but definitely wrong estimates for your casual walking speed.

Curious where you all got your degree in superior calorie burning knowledge.
  • faymorg
    faymorg Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes it does!!!! I can not walk outside because of allergies and asthma but I do a walking DVD in my living room and it awesome!!! I even have a co-worker that does it with me and I am losing weight and inches!!! Its great!!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Ummm....yes
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes it does!!!! I can not walk outside because of allergies and asthma but I do a walking DVD in my living room and it awesome!!! I even have a co-worker that does it with me and I am losing weight and inches!!! Its great!!

I second this! I live in Florida and its freaking hot here. So I have been doing Leslie Sansone's DVDs. I think it adds extra than just walking. I love them.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that men who stare at boobs for an extended period of time will have better heart health and live longer. Any activity that increases blood flow is beneficial.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Hellz ya! That's how I lost the first 30 pounds
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Definitely!
    1 of my MFP just logged a big walk of hers & she burned 800+ calories doing it. SO YES, get those walking shoes on :flowerforyou:
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that men who stare at boobs :bigsmile: for an extended period of time will have better heart health and live longer. Any activity that increases blood flow is beneficial.

Oh SNAP....think I'm gonna have to discuss this breaking news with my wife tonight!! Thank you, I really believe in heart health:bigsmile:
  • Anna7595
    Anna7595 Posts: 38
    Options
    Absolutely! I have lost weight doing only walking and no other exercise! Walking is great for you! If you can do nothing else at least just take a walk! It is great for your heart and will help you lose weight if you walk enough and often.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It absolutely counts.
  • mrsjay4life
    mrsjay4life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Even cooking and cleaning I saw counts as
    exercise. I guess once your sweating you burn calories.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    well princess, it only really counts if you have your princess crown and dress on...and you are walking through the rose garden to have tea and scones with the queen.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    sandy_gee burned 857 calories doing 80 minutes of Walking Kayden with HRM

Yes. It most definitely counts.
    Thats a higher burn than marathon runners and tour de france riders burn going full out..

your actual calorie burn in that time is closer to 150 calories. Maybe 200ish if you were power walking.

I don't know where you getting your information from but an 80 min casual or about 2 mph walk would burn around 400 calories whereas a 4 mph walk would be about 700ish. I also weigh over 200 lbs so I know that I get extra burn for that.
    metabolic chamber data.

you're also forgetting the 2-3cal/min from BMR.

So your 80min of 400 calories is actually 160 prob once you subtract your BMR data. which is about 2cal/min as I said.

edit: actually that would still be high. 2cal would be more for the 4mph walking. Regardless, 400cal burned from exercise from a 80min 2mph walk is way too high. Simply not possible.

Thanks for your ever so welcomed input. I however am going to continue to refer to my HRM which has all my stats inputted into it, and knows what it's dealing with. I'm also going to continue believing it's more accurate than your random stats due to the 22lbs I've lost since I started adding it to my daily activities a month and a half ago.
    I'm not sure where you got 2mph from, or how you seem to believe you know if I was walking on a flat surface or going up and down valley trails, but as I said, I'm going to stick with my HRM.
    Kthx.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Walking is how I lost my first 20 pounds. It counts.
    (And controlling my diet, but before I started logging)