TDEE & BMR help, please!

Options
Okay, so I've read plenty of posts on here after seeing BMR and TDEE posted everywhere basically. I had no idea what TDEE was so I looked both up. Like everyone else wanting to desperately lose weight, I also put my weekly goal at 2 lbs a week, but I just changed this a few moments ago and it gave me 1700 and some (It was 1260)... My TDEE: 2218 and my BMR: 1853 X 1.2 (chose the sedentary level of activity) 2223. The way I'm thinking (Correct me if I'm wrong, please) is since my body is going to be 'shocked' in a way because of the cut-out of fast food and the numerous caffeine it was getting the first few weeks I'm going to lose a pretty good amount because of the intake change and because of the activity change that's going on. I was always told "you wanna lose you eat 1200", and frankly that isn't enough.

Does 1700 sound about right with the TDEE and BMR calculations?

Later will I need to adjust this or does it remain the same?

Is it better to EAT the work-out calories? (Planing on getting some protein shakes)

I'm kind of nervous about the 1700, but when I do the 1200 every time I attempt to lose weight I fall off after a week cause I'm starving. Food advice, work-out advice ANYTHING you have would be beneficial; I'm ignorant on this. Friend me if you'd like, all the friends I have don't really "interact".

Thanks

Replies

• KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you have a answer to one question but not all that's fine too.. Ill take whatever information I can get
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    BMR is how much calories you burn just by breathing and sleeping in bed like a potato.... paralyzed, no movement whole day, every day. So if your BMR is 2223 then you need to ate 2223 cals to stay at same weight as you are, if you do not move at all. That's irrelevant in real life, unless you are somebody who can not move and is paralyzed due to stroke or something... forget about BMR.

All you need is TDEE. That's basically your maintenance aka how much cals you need to ate to keep the same weight. So if your maintenance is 2218 cals, if you ate 2218 cals you will not gain neither lose weight. If you ate below you will lose weight and if you ate above you will gain it. So obviously 1700 cals below your maintenance a day would make you lose weight... It's 418 cal deficit.

Yes your maintenance cals, aka TDEE, changes as you lose weight or gain weight. If you wanna be accurate I would recalculate it after every 10 -15, or so, pounds lost...

If you ate 400 cal below your maintenance and burn 300 by exercises then you are 700 cals below your maintenance. I don't know, I guess it depends. I know some people here that does not ate workout cals back. Obviously that would make you lose weight faster cos you would be in higher cal deficit. I personally ate them because if I'm at too low deficit I feel out of energy and weak and I don't want that...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I've read plenty of posts on here after seeing BMR and TDEE posted everywhere basically. I had no idea what TDEE was so I looked both up. Like everyone else wanting to desperately lose weight, I also put my weekly goal at 2 lbs a week, but I just changed this a few moments ago and it gave me 1700 and some (It was 1260)... My TDEE: 2218 and my BMR: 1853 X 1.2 (chose the sedentary level of activity) 2223. The way I'm thinking (Correct me if I'm wrong, please) is since my body is going to be 'shocked' in a way because of the cut-out of fast food and the numerous caffeine it was getting the first few weeks I'm going to lose a pretty good amount because of the intake change and because of the activity change that's going on. I was always told "you wanna lose you eat 1200", and frankly that isn't enough.

Does 1700 sound about right with the TDEE and BMR calculations?

Later will I need to adjust this or does it remain the same?

Is it better to EAT the work-out calories? (Planing on getting some protein shakes)

I'm kind of nervous about the 1700, but when I do the 1200 every time I attempt to lose weight I fall off after a week cause I'm starving. Food advice, work-out advice ANYTHING you have would be beneficial; I'm ignorant on this. Friend me if you'd like, all the friends I have don't really "interact".

Thanks

No 1700 doesn't sound right at all.

Realize your experience with different calories levels is limited to 1200 being seen. Unless you logged what you normally ate and with no exercise involved - you really have no way to know what sounds high or not.

Use this for best estimates and tracking progress, and getting recommendation based on your planned exercise time and type.
    Read it, don't be scared by the colors.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • KaylaKilgore
    Options
    BMR is how much calories you burn just by breathing and sleeping in bed like a potato.... paralyzed, no movement whole day, every day. So if your BMR is 2223 then you need to ate 2223 cals to stay at same weight as you are, if you do not move at all. That's irrelevant in real life, unless you are somebody who can not move and is paralyzed due to stroke or something... forget about BMR.

All you need is TDEE. That's basically your maintenance aka how much cals you need to ate to keep the same weight. So if your maintenance is 2218 cals, if you ate 2218 cals you will not gain neither lose weight. If you ate below you will lose weight and if you ate above you will gain it. So obviously 1700 cals below your maintenance a day would make you lose weight... It's 418 cal deficit.

Yes your maintenance cals, aka TDEE, changes as you lose weight or gain weight. If you wanna be accurate I would recalculate it after every 10 -15, or so, pounds lost...

If you ate 400 cal below your maintenance and burn 300 by exercises then you are 700 cals below your maintenance. I don't know, I guess it depends. I know some people here that does not ate workout cals back. Obviously that would make you lose weight faster cos you would be in higher cal deficit. I personally ate them because if I'm at too low deficit I feel out of energy and weak and I don't want that...

That's my problem now with my cals being to low, I feel pooped 24/7. Thanks!
  • KaylaKilgore
    Options
    Multiply TDEE by 0.80, and eat that many calories, this method you don't eat calories back. This explains it a little bit more.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975707-fat-loss-tactics-guide

I came up with around 1,700 with that so I'll try that and if it doesn't do any good I'll try the eating calories back.. Thanks!
  • heybales
    Options
    Multiply TDEE by 0.80, and eat that many calories, this method you don't eat calories back. This explains it a little bit more.

I came up with around 1,700 with that so I'll try that and if it doesn't do any good I'll try the eating calories back.. Thanks!

But 80% of your TDEE is NOT 1700.

By your own admission your estimated BMR is 1853.

Do you think BMR means the same thing as TDEE?

TDEE is higher than BMR, then you take deficit.

I think you need to just do the MFP method, this method idea is confusing you to no end.

Set MFP diet/fitness profile to activity level Lightly Active.
    Set weight loss goal to 2 lbs weekly.
    Log and eat back your exercise calories.
    Weigh everything you eat.
    Weigh-in on valid days, don't worry about fluctuations.
  • KaylaKilgore
    Options

But 80% of your TDEE is NOT 1700.

By your own admission your estimated BMR is 1853.

Do you think BMR means the same thing as TDEE?

TDEE is higher than BMR, then you take deficit.

I think you need to just do the MFP method, this method idea is confusing you to no end.

Set MFP diet/fitness profile to activity level Lightly Active.
    Set weight loss goal to 2 lbs weekly.
    Log and eat back your exercise calories.
    Weigh everything you eat.
    Weigh-in on valid days, don't worry about fluctuations.

I done it the way I was told: 2218 X .80 is 1774
  • heybales
    Options

Sedentary, 8 hr desk job, probably 2 hr commute, sitting rest of the evening, no activity on the weekends barely. No exercise.

That is the TDEE level you gave yourself from that 1919 study.

Vast majority that get FitBit's and BodyMedia's discover on their non-exercise days with desk job they are actually Lightly Active level on MFP.

If you want to shoot yourself in the metabolism, be my guest, but none of this works out if not honest with yourself. Just as many use MPF and make their own goal too low by selecting sedentary and 2 lbs loss weekly though it says 1 lb recommended.

Just be aware it's harder coming up and getting the metabolism going again, than adjusting down.
  • KaylaKilgore
    Options

Sedentary, 8 hr desk job, probably 2 hr commute, sitting rest of the evening, no activity on the weekends barely. No exercise.

That is the TDEE level you gave yourself from that 1919 study.

Vast majority that get FitBit's and BodyMedia's discover on their non-exercise days with desk job they are actually Lightly Active level on MFP.

If you want to shoot yourself in the metabolism, be my guest, but none of this works out if not honest with yourself. Just as many use MPF and make their own goal too low by selecting sedentary and 2 lbs loss weekly though it says 1 lb recommended.

Just be aware it's harder coming up and getting the metabolism going again, than adjusting down.

Thanks for your input. I put on MFP lose 1lb week and lightly active and I have 1950 now. I looked more into what I posted at first and I did misunderstand what it all meant. I can't have less then the BMR which 1700 would have been. If 1950 is still not the ideal range point it out. The new TDEE with lightly active selected would be 2542 x .80 is 2032. So which do I go by
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I put on MFP lose 1lb week and lightly active and I have 1950 now. I looked more into what I posted at first and I did misunderstand what it all meant. I can't have less then the BMR which 1700 would have been. If 1950 is still not the ideal range point it out. The new TDEE with lightly active selected would be 2542 x .80 is 2032. So which do I go by

Not once in your posts have you mentioned any exercise, neither stating you do none, or that you do any.

If you are truly doing no exercise, then setting MFP to Lightly Active level is correct.

You can forget selecting a weight loss goal, because you are going to manually enter in an eating goal, so that is useless option - just set it to maintain so you aren't confused more.

Now take the eating goal it shows, which should match what they call maintenance, times 0.8 for a deficit to what you likely burn with no exercise.
    That is your eating goal. Go to your Goals page now and enter that as NET calorie goal, change macros to whatever you want to use, like more protein hopefully if you have been reading around.
    Save out.

Now, when you do exercise, you'll log it, and whatever calories are reported from MFP, or your HRM, or the machine, multiply by the same 0.8 to take a deficit off that too.
    Log it, and now eat to the increase goal. You still have your deficit in place, actually more now since exercise created more.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If someone is looking to lose 87 lbs there is no reason why they can't aim for 2 lbs/wk weight loss instead of 1 lb/wk ..... people here are too conservative.

OP - Figure out your TDEE and then take a 1000 calorie/day deficit. Weigh yourself today and take measurements. Then check back in with us in 1 month.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    can you just give use your height, weight, age, etc so we're not working in the dark telling you if numbers are correct or not?

also.. what kind of exercise are you doing?

'eating back' is highly dependent on how you do your calculations. if you're properly using the calculators based on your exercise rate, then exercise is built in to the numbers you get. if not, they're not.

to answer your overall question, i eat ~2000 cals a day and am losing weight. i run 5 times a week, strength train 3. i could probably add a couple hundred cals a day. so yes... your number -might- be right, but we don't have the data.

i like this one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If someone is looking to lose 87 lbs there is no reason why they can't aim for 2 lbs/wk weight loss instead of 1 lb/wk ..... people here are too conservative.

OP - Figure out your TDEE and then take a 1000 calorie/day deficit. Weigh yourself today and take measurements. Then check back in with us in 1 month.

A lot of women have a TDEE around 2,000. So this would put them at 1,000 calories correct?

Yes it would but you're poking around the margins just to be cute and prove a point.

Yes "A lot" of women have a TDEE around 2000. However, if we were to do a Venn diagram of women who have a TDEE of 2000 and women who are 87 lbs overweight, the overlap would be small.

Note - I'm expecting the person to regularly exercise. Aiming for 2 lbs/wk on a sedentary lifestyle is going to cause you to have super low calorie intakes that probably aren't viable.
  • wendiebradley
    Options
    Your calculation of TDEE * .80 is correct. My understanding on TDEE is if your calculation is the 1772 that is what you eat each day. You do not add back calories for exercise - it's already calculated in the TDEE. Seems much easier to me to have the same amount of calories each day, regardless of activity level.