I'm sorry! /)_(\

Options
I want to make sure I fully understand the posts I've read.
I'm on a 1500 calorie set (my BMR is 1444 and my TDEE -15% is about 1700 so I chose a number inbetween) and today for example between my cardio, gardening and 30DS, I burned 993 calories.

Before I logged my exercise, I was at 1528 calories for the day, then 993 calories burned so I had a 553 net calorie amount.
I just ate chobani greek yogurt (140 calories), a glass of milk (120 calories) and a fiber one brownie (90 calories) to bring my net up to 885 but from what I read (and this is where I may need to be corrected) I need to net at least 1444 (my BMR), but it's almost 10pm and I'm definitely not hungry...but I don't want my body to go into a starvation mode.

Does this make sense? Can someone explain, nicely, to me?

Replies

• CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I generally try to eat at a calorie deficit, I set my intake at 1800 calories a day and try not to go over that, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I also try to burn at least 1,000 calories a day, I don't eat my extra calories. I see that there's some debate about whether or not this is the right way thing to do, but I'd say if you're not hungry don't make yourself eat. Your body will tell you the answers.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm listening to it for now, but I don't want to have the chance of putting it into a starvation mode. If I make myself eat I'm more likely to binge which I definitely don't want to do, but if I need to intake more calories then I can plan out my days more carefully.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry now, don't eat now. If you feel more hungry tomorrow just balance it out. Many people look at their calories at a "weekly" level instead of daily, as the average over time is really what matters. Hope this helps.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    TDEE TOTAL DAILY ENERGY EXPENDITURE with that it is supposed to be an easier way of doing things because you don't eat back your exercise calories but if you have it set on sedentary you will most likely need to eat 1/2 or so of the exercise calories back. But you have to make sure that you take rest days. Work out today, rest day tomorrow, then work out then rest day
    Rest day between work out days and eat all of your total calorie goal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I take rest days, but I usually do a workout, just much lighter than normal, like going for a walk or taking a swim instead of an hour at the gym. If I don't I feel lazy and like I'm not doing enough. =/

Sometimes I think my brain is against me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    /)_(\

I'm sorry too, but what is this a picture of? it looks to me like a waist, a belt and two arms?

anywhoo I think the poster who said look at it weekly has the right idea. if you think "i'm good" for today, don't be surprised if you're hungrier tomorrow. and then just eat back your cals then. this happens to me too and that's how i handle it. because I've never been one for stuffing myself, (OR starving myself for that matter). I find when I treat myself nicely and eat or don't eat as my appetite demands or shuns it all comes out in the wash when I take a weekly overview. Good luck, you got this:flowerforyou:
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    /)_(\ is someone covering their eyes lol

And I think I'll start looking at the weekly instead of daily. I never thought of that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your calorie burns? If you go by the MFP chart, or machines at the gym, the numbers may be off. A lot of people only eat back half of their calories to make up for any discretions in calculations. You would also need to subtract your BMR hourly rate from your calorie total to get a 'net' calorie burn. Say your BMR comes out to 75 cals per hour, and you burn 400 cals on the elliptical in an hour, you would only count 325 cals as your 'net' calorie burn.
  • feelinggreat140
    feelinggreat140 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain the acronym BMR? It seems to come up a lot in conversation. I see my calories for the day and then calories burned in different activities. I don't always eat back all of those calories either but I am sure they balance out over the long run.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate = number of calories you burn just by living. If you were in a coma the doctors would feed you the amount of your BMR through a tube. Your body needs that much just to keep your organs functioning properly. I have read that people should eat at least 200 calories above their BMR.
  • feelinggreat140
    Options
    Great thanks. Now is there a place on the website to figure this number out and how shold I use this information when figuring out my calories. MFP set e at 1580 calories for each day.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    How are you figuring your calorie burns? If you go by the MFP chart, or machines at the gym, the numbers may be off. A lot of people only eat back half of their calories to make up for any discretions in calculations. You would also need to subtract your BMR hourly rate from your calorie total to get a 'net' calorie burn. Say your BMR comes out to 75 cals per hour, and you burn 400 cals on the elliptical in an hour, you would only count 325 cals as your 'net' calorie burn.

I use a heart rate monitor, I do not use MFP numbers for my calories burnt.

I just need to know if I should net my BMR calroies in order to lose because I'm not losing but I'm also only netting about 800 a day, I'm just not hungry.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Great thanks. Now is there a place on the website to figure this number out and how shold I use this information when figuring out my calories. MFP set e at 1580 calories for each day.

Go to the "APPS" tab and you will find the BMR calculator - there are plenty of other ones online as well.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    /)_(\

I'm sorry too, but what is this a picture of? it looks to me like a waist, a belt and two arms?

I thought it was Pu's thigh gap!
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options

I just need to know if I should net my BMR calroies in order to lose because I'm not losing but I'm also only netting about 800 a day, I'm just not hungry.

I would say that is too low......but that is JUST an opinion. I did see results when stuck, by raising calorie intake....your results may vary however :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

I would say that is too low......but that is JUST an opinion. I did see results when stuck, by raising calorie intake....your results may vary however :)

Yeah, thats what I thought but I don't want to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. Maybe it's because I drink a lot of water? I drink around 10-13 glasses a day and no I don't have diabetes (everyone always says that when I tell them how much water I drink). Last year I was losing, but I was on a 1200 calorie diet but only netting about half that. =/
  • feelinggreat140
    Options
    thanks for the info
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can starve yourself and loose weight, that is obvious, your body MUST use what little you give it,and burn the fat for the rest. If you want sustainable "lifestyle" it takes a little more work to balance whats going in and out, to still loose but not gain because your body thinks it's going into winter, famine, whatever...Diets fail because they are not sustainable. I don't deny myself of anything other than volume, which was obviously too much. With that said I am 6' 205 (lowest i have been in 15 years) and I am netting around 1700. This is after increasing from 1600 because of a plateau. I do try to avoid sugar and carbs to some degree as they seem to make me CRAVE MORE sugar and carbs! Notice I said AVOID not eliminate......That said i am still around 50%. I THINK I am doing something I can live with forever......Not just a diet I can't wait to get out of. Again I am not a doc, scientist, or even a smart guy for that matter, these are my opinions that seem to make common sense to me, and are currently working for me !
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    When you say "don't go into starvation mode" dont overplay this. Think a week or more. Most cultures over recorded history fast. 1 day, 40 days -whatever. There are many people who do alternate day fasting or 5:2 fasting. This process of fasting has scientific basis for metabolic health. Look up these groups on mfp. Take not eating as a bonus. Think lifestyle, and for the rest of your life. Otherwise you will join those who diet, stop, and after 2 years are heavier than when they started! (60 studies). If you sre lighter you are an exception. :-)