How many squats to get thin thighs?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It has already been said by some, but squats in themselves will not make your thighs slimmer, a caloric deficit will. Doing a very high number of squats may help that deficit, but it will not be the squats per se, but the calorie burn derived from them, just like any other activity or movement.

In short:

Very low reps, heavy weight = strength
    Low/medium reps, high/medium weight = mass (assuming you are at a surplus, with the exception of small newbie gains)
    High reps/low weight = endurance
    Very high reps/very low weights = cardio.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    -1,000. Because squats actually build up your thigh muscles. at least that was my understanding? and I've been doing squats to get bigger thigh muscles to shift my fat to muscle ratio to get more metabolism boost. sooooo..........

ONE OF US is doing it wrong. Unsure which. Sorry, hope the other posts clear that up regarding squats.

I do however know that stretching slims and lengthens muscles as does certain pilates exercises especially those involving the machines. if long and lean is the look you're after without getting emaciated looking I think you are on the right track with adding something to your cardio, however I'm not sure squats are the way.

Depends on the context re squats building muscle (rep range, number of sets, weight lifted, caloric intake etc).

But stretching does not slim or lengthen muscle.

Squats are not the only way, but they are a very good way of ensuring that you maintain LBM while dieting, gain strength, have a good metabolic effect and, assuming the right conditions, gaining muscle if desired.
  • lovingmyreflection
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

open your eyes

Look up to the skies and see

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy

Because I'm easy come, easy go

Little High, little low

Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter to meeeee...

*quietly*

to. me.

Mama, just killed a man

Put a gun against his head
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

open your eyes

Little High, little low

*quietly*

to. me.

Mama, just killed a man

Pulled my trigger, now he's dead
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

open your eyes

Little High, little low

*quietly*

to. me.

Mama, just killed a man

Mama, life had just begun
  • AnnaMolly17
    AnnaMolly17 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think we're all confusing the poor girl.

Here is the gist of what you should do to lose fat in your thigh area while maintaing muscle and giving your thighs definition.

You should try doing a variety of full body compound exercises -- squats, deadlifts, bulgarian split squats, lunges, romanian deadlift, etc. -- change things up to keep things interesting and confuse your body as much as possible. A good place to start is 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps. (start with body weight squats to get comfortable with the movement) Make sure you keep your diet in check so that you're consuming at a deficit yet still enough to maintain the muscle.

Honestly, I would really recommend you check out some really amazing weight lifting programs out there, like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. (Check out the forums on here too, there are some pretty amazing women with really inspiring transformations)

I started NROL4W several months ago and am already seeing results!
    Good luck! and I hope that helped :)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It-s-over-9000-its-over-9000-29849302-496-370.jpg
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calorie deficit not squats. And you can't chose where it comes off. However you can ensure that most the weight lost is fat and not muscle with heavy lifting.
  • dianamatienzo
    dianamatienzo Posts: 127
    Options
    If you want "thin" thighs, no amount of squats of leg exercises will do that; only fat loss. If you'd like to tone up your legs and build muscle, doing leg exercises (such as squats, leg extensions, deadlifts, lunges, etc), preferably with weights, will do that for you. And you won't get bulky unless you start taking testosterone or something. It's a common misconception that weight training will make women bulky. I mean, you could potentially get extremely muscular, but that would take a LOT of time, a LOT of effort, and a LOT of dedication; and it won't happen overnight.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    <<bulky thighs without lifting. Cardio only. Ok, so my cardio involves a $hittonne of hill work, which technically makes it resistance traning. That bike gives me a hell of a thigh gap though!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

or is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

No escape from reality

open your eyes

Little High, little low

*quietly*

to. me.

Mama, just killed a man

Mama, life had just begun
    But now I've gone and thrown it all awaaay..
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @idontknow

I know you cant target weight loss but im saying how many squats can I do to help improve my thighs.
    I just want a honest number people please

There is no way for anyone to give you an honest number. Each person is different and has different needs. Learn to eat a healthy diet, find an activity you enjoy that will keep you healthy and make your body the best it can be and learn to love the legs your parents gave you. You'll be a much happier and healthier person in the long run.