Rewarding ourselves with Food

Options
I was thinking when I get to my next goal weight of 179-180lbs I would reward myself to a splurge dinner at this delicious Little Panda Chinese restaurant. And I won't go there until at my goal...
Then I wondered maybe I should reward myself with something non-food related....like a massage lol
So how many people rewards themselves with "bad" foods and just welcome your general thoughts/opinions? :-)

Replies

• tptouchdown
    tptouchdown Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Funny thing, when I hit my last milestone I rewarded myself with dinner at a new place; I ordered a lemon chicken dinner that was about 500 calories, but that is what I really wanted. Satisfied and was under by calories for the day!
  • SlenderKimber
    SlenderKimber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I buy shoes or new make-up! Food is definitely something that I don't want to use as a reward. That's just my opinion.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. Some people feel like allowing themselves a splurge will only set a dangerous precedence that derails them from "strict eating". That's what works for them, and deviating from the "rules" can be pretty disastrous.

I personally don't feel that way, so if you want to

parks-and-rec-treat-yo-self.gif,

go ahead, you earned it!
  • wacarr
    wacarr Posts: 25
    Options
    I disagree. I used to reward myself for achievements with food. And that is one of the ways I gained some of my extra weight. What I am doing for myself is when I hit certain goals. I have one of a new outfit, one a pedicure, and some goals are for things I want. Like I have one for a smart phone, and one for a swimp3 that I want really bad. But I am not allowing myself them until I hit my goal. I have a goal for about every 20 pounds I loose. That is my opinion. I don't think you should reward yourself with a bad day or food. Especially I know for me personally it could possibly set back into old habits.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I use all sorts of rewards, sometimes including food, sometimes not. A book, earrings, clothes, or lunch at a restaurant I like (keeping within my calories).

Food is a big part of celebrations in life--we go out for all kinds of special occasions, and that's not something I'm going to give up. So if I feel I deserve a celebration for a job well done and feel like taking myself out for a nice meal, I'm going to do it.
  • DustyBanana
    DustyBanana Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Love this! Great dialogue--- and for the record, I don't do it always. And I think with having a bigger meal and just adjusting for the day or putting in more gym time can be fine as long you don't get de-railed easily
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've rewarded myself with a freshwater pearl and iolite necklace for my first 9 lbs. My next reward will be a gorgeous glittery bronze/copper/brown/cream dress belt, currently 2" short of fitting. I don't feel like using food, I'd rather have clothes or books or art supplies, stuff like that.
  • JAMProphet
    JAMProphet Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Food as a reward can work if it is done in a very measured way (though in many ways, it can contribute to the process in some people's heads where food is equated with happiness) so I will often use non-food rewards, like iTunes purchases, clothes, or athletic clothing.
  • jgood21
    jgood21 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to make my rewards food, now it is clothes. But I always buy the next size down for motivation :p It's funny how your rewards change the longer you go at this. Food is no longer a desire but a necessity. You start to view it as fuel and not a treat.
  • silverlining84
    silverlining84 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Nope I never "reward" myself with food, I like to think i'm a human and not a dog. For rewards I like to pick things such as new workout clothes, heart rate monitor, sneakers, etc.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to understand how much of a vice food is for me. Rewarding myself for hitting the 15 pound mark has led to a week long descent into food madness that I'm slowly getting control of again. Until I fully learn to see it as fuel I wont reward myself for it anymore.

Edited to say: with it. I wont reward myself with it anymore.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I buy some new clothing. Not rewarding with food at all because that was why I'm here in the 1st place....
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Nope I never "reward" myself with food, I like to think i'm a human and not a dog. For rewards I like to pick things such as new workout clothes, heart rate monitor, sneakers, etc.

The problem with this kind of thinking is that

1)dogs are awesome. Many people would increase in awesomeness by being dogs.
    2)dogs learn new behaviors pretty much the same way we do
    3)properly applied and timed food rewards are extremely effective for reinforcing new behaviors

No, I wouldn't reward reaching a weight loss goal with food either. Instead, target a behavior you want to increase: big workouts. MFP lets you track exercise calories, which allows you to "reward" big workouts ALL THE TIME with food that fits in your macros.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a night out to a Mexican restaurant eating all the things I had cut out during my losing phase because they didn't fit in my goals when I reached my goal weight. I went right back to eating sensibly. I still occasional go out for celebration dinners, and I just fit them into my goals.

If you let yourself have a small treat as a reward for working out or eating sensibly the rest of the day, and fit it into your calorie goals and are sensible about it, I don't see a problem with food rewards.

edit: I reached me goal in Nov of 2011, and have successfully maintained since then.
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I hate to use the term "reward" because really I think only dogs get rewarded with food. lol. I'd look at it as a hard earned indulgence, and I definitely do take advantage of that! I just make sure to get in my water intake for the day and some gym time to balance it all out :)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I hate to use the term "reward" because really I think only dogs get rewarded with food. lol. I'd look at it as a hard earned indulgence, and I definitely do take advantage of that! I just make sure to get in my water intake for the day and some gym time to balance it all out :)

I don't understand where this comes from? Do you have a special euphemism for peeing and taking a dump because dogs do that?
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I 'reward' myself with a bowl of ice cream every night and a few beers on the weekends.

Hell . . . . life's supposed to be enjoyable.
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    My opinion is that food related rewards aren't good because then they welcome old habits that we made new habits for. I personally would rather have non-related food rewards like new clothes, manicure, books, or whatever. I've rewarded myself with books and new clothes, but I want to do something big when I reach my next goal of loosing 10% of my starting weight.
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't do food rewards, I know my personality too well, I would go nuts. That's the same readon I don't log my exercise, because I see the spare cals and over eat. I'm not saying I never have a treat, I just do it when I really crave it and I make sure it fits my cal plan. I have to be hard on myself because I have a knack of talking myself into treating myself. How ever if it works for you, go for it. mind you, a massage sounds wonderful! Good for you too, gets the blood pumping and moves toxins around and out ;-)
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I 'reward' myself with a bowl of ice cream every night and a few beers on the weekends.

Hell . . . . life's supposed to be enjoyable.
    This! Life's too short to make it boring. I've only been using MFP for a week or so and what it's really done for me so far is make me accountable for my snacking.

Before I started tracking I'd spent all day snacking and then have a mean dinner because I felt guilty. Now, I've got better at eating well. Last night I had some calories left over, so I made popcorn. Simple.