sick after work out

Options
I keep feeling like I'm going to puke after I work out. Can someone tell me why this is. I eat, drink lots of water. I work out hard but not that hard. Any ideas??? Please help getting frusterated.

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Are you working out on a full or empty stomach? I've found that if I eat about 100 calories of protein/carb prior to my workout and another 100 calories of protein/carb within 30 minutes of completing my workout, I don't get so queasy. If I don't do this, I feel like I'm going to throw up after even a mild workout. I think it is related to my blood sugar and insulin levels.
  • edinbors
    edinbors Posts: 112
    Options
    I get that way from time to time! When did you start working out? I felt like that alot when I first started...are you drinking during your workout? I can't that makes me sick. Also try taking a ginger capsule about 30 + min before working out this helps a bunch...I used it alot when I was pregnant with my twins so it helps! Good luck! Keep up the great work!!!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I've had this, but I crossfit, so it's the intensity of my workouts that cause it. Stormie may be onto something with blood sugar levels/insulin levels. I know a lot of people who drink a protein shake during their workouts - maybe try it?
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    you may not THINK you're working out too hard for your body but you obviously are. maybe something a LITTLE less, or even just something that doesnt make you quite as out of breath (i was told that thats a BIG factor on feeling sick after working out)

my advise would be to tune it back juuuust a smidge until you dont feel sick anymore after. then you can SLOWLY get back to where you are now.
  • slcobb001
    slcobb001 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working out...????

Feeling like that is your body telling you that you are over-extending. That doesn't mean that you should stop. If you are just starting
    to exercise then, yes, you are over-extending...by choice... to get STRONG !!

If you have been exercising for over a month then you need to do one of two things. Lighten up just a bit or take a day or two
    to recover.

I ride a road bicycle 30 to 50 miles at a time and do fine with it. Last Wednesday I got really sick after a ride. My heart rate was all screwed up (high) the whole ride and I was really tired the next day. I took a couple of days off and really relaxed. I didn't let other things get in the way of my resting.

On Saturday..35 miles and felt great, really strong and fast. I needed to rest...

Give those suggestions a try and see how you do, and remember, Fluids, food and breathe...

Steven
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Try backing off on the intensity a bit. It might not feel like "too hard" to you, but it may be too hard for your body.

I wouldn't advise taking a protein shake during your workout, though. For one, that's like eating a meal mid-exercise. Your body digests and processes it the same way. Unless you're training at elite levels (you're not) you don't need to do this. Also, most protein shakes are at least 150 calories. Depending on what you do, you could cancel out most or all of your workout with a shake.

Same with snacking before and after. If you eat 100 calories before and 100 after, and you run 3 miles... that's a good workout, right? Not really. You ate 2/3 of your workout.

My tips would be to eat a well balanced meal with some carbs and a good amount of protein about 1-2 hours before your workout. If you're hungry before, try ONE tablespoon of low fat peanut butter, but all in all try to plan your meals so you're still satisfied but not stuffed when it's time to exercise. Again, also try backing off the intensity and see if that helps.
  • mate1432
    mate1432 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I started working out the beginning of the year. Hurt my ankle and have been back hard and heavy for about a month and a half. I snack later in the day about an hour before my work out.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I keep feeling like I'm going to puke after I work out. Can someone tell me why this is. I eat, drink lots of water. I work out hard but not that hard. Any ideas??? Please help getting frusterated.

Running shortly after eating will not help. One of the other reasons can be adrenalin coursing round your body.

I used to do a lot of track and field athletics, at one club I belonged to, there was a 15 year old lad there who was a really good sprinter, however, he would seriously throw up after every session. In the end both he and everybody else was so used to it, no-one batted an eyelid. It wasn't anything to do with fitness either, he was extremely fit, but just used to chunder.

Poor little sod, he was always at training sessions though!

Out of interest, I just thought, are you drinking lots and lots of water DURING the session? If so, don't force water down, make sure you are hydrated, but don't overdo it, it could be your stomach is cramping during your workout and making you sick.
  • mate1432
    Options
    Sorry I unlocked my food diary so you can view it now also...any hints.
  • mate1432
    Options
    I don't drink a bunch during my work out. I don't want to get sick from being bloated.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've had issues with getting queasy as well. I've found it's directly related to not eating soon enough before a workout. I was having the problem when I'd work out first thing in the morning without breakfast or right after work after not eating since lunch. I make myself have a small breakfast before my morning workouts and I have an afternoon snack before my evening workouts and the problem is solved. I've tried to workout on an empty stomach last weekend and I had to stop in the middle for a break since I felt sick.
  • owno9700
    owno9700 Posts: 24
    Options
    What does your workout consist of and how long do you work out? Even yought you may think that you're not working "too hard", your body is most likely telling you that you are. Depending on what you're doing, you may have to either decrease the intensity a bit or shorten the workout. Sometimes when I am doing interval training, I will start to feel sick...usually these are the days that I decide that I'll just do a "little more" because I feel like I have all of the energy and strength in the world; however, my body will tell me otherwise. I also have difficulty if I am out for a run and it is too hot out for me; for example, I went for a 10k run yesterday, normally I wouldn't take any water with me for 10k and the temperature was only 17 degrees (celcius) when I struck out...........what I didn't factor in was that the majority of my route was full sun and at about 7k I started to dehydrate because I did not factor in the full on impact of the sun and didn't take water with me. Dehydration will definately make you feel sick to your stomach!

Eat something light and high protein about an hour before you work out, hydrate well the day before your workout and an hour before, take water with you if you feel you will need it during your workout......most importantly, listen to your body and don't ignore it. Change up your workout to vary the intensity and/or duration.:smile:
  • mate1432
    Options
    I run stadiums at our local high school. I do them sideways to change up the muscle group. I'll do a lap around the track about halfway through. It's three rows up and three down and that's counted as one. I do that 5 times. I'll do a lap about halfwy through. I'll then head to the track to do 5 sets of 10 lunges. Plenty of warm up and cool down stretches. Some days I'll mix it up to do crunches and side stadiums. I work out for about 45 min to an hour each day.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how fast you do it, that is an intense workout. And every day? You may just need to take a rest.

I looked at your food diary and noticed 2 things: lots and LOTS of extremely high fiber, processed carbs, and almost no protein. That's a recipe for low blood sugar and bloating. Add exercise to that, and it's really no wonder you're feeling sick.
  • mate1432
    Options
    Ok so I'm new to this whole eating right thing. Any suggestions??? I thought that I was doing pretty good minus the popcorn and last weekend.
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    you may not THINK you're working out too hard for your body but you obviously are. maybe something a LITTLE less, or even just something that doesnt make you quite as out of breath (i was told that thats a BIG factor on feeling sick after working out)

my advise would be to tune it back juuuust a smidge until you dont feel sick anymore after. then you can SLOWLY get back to where you are now.

Hi Mate,
    The first thing that popped in my head was like above, listen to your body. It worries me a little cause you might be working above your capacity. There's a lot of contradicting info about max heart rate but you should keep tabs on that during your workout so you know your not working above yours. The calculation I use is 220 - age X .8 but as many mfp friends tell me, this is not always accurate for EVERYBODY. If I were you - I'd check with your doc.