Squats question!

Options
Okay so i have a question about squat form. Lately ive been seeing people say "*kitten* to grass" a lot meaning you have to get your *kitten* all the way to the floor. The way i learned to do squats though was to never let your knees go over your toes. Your knees absolutely go over your toes though when you squat all the way down to the floor! Seems thats putting more stress on your knees too. Who can give me the real answer on how squats are supposed to be done!

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lol. This is all controversial.

There are 3 schools. Go to slightly above parallel.

Go to parallel

Go below parallel.

The MFP mob is mostly a below parallel group. I suppose different forums have their own mob.

A google search will give you lots of opinions on the topic. All of it is right. There is no wrong. It's just doing it the way you feel works based on your goals.

+1 for going below parallel
  • pennysaurus
    pennysaurus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Another vote for below parallel. Stick your *kitten* out far enough and your knees won't go out past your toes
  • jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    I find its hard on my knees if I don't go as low as possible. Most people I see squatting have too narrow of a stance and terrible depth.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My knees go over my toes. Not by a lot, but they just go over. I get that crackling in my knees now, i hope it's not a result of knees going over toes. Dagger for me.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Go at lest parallel. Some people don't have the flexibility and tend to lean too far fwd when going to ATG. These people would be better off going to parallel or only slightly below.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Okay so i have a question about squat form. Lately ive been seeing people say "*kitten* to grass" a lot meaning you have to get your *kitten* all the way to the floor. The way i learned to do squats though was to never let your knees go over your toes. Your knees absolutely go over your toes though when you squat all the way down to the floor! Seems thats putting more stress on your knees too. Who can give me the real answer on how squats are supposed to be done!
    For me it depends on how much weight I'm squatting. With no extra weight, my center of gravity is at my hips, which go way back and I have to compensate by standing on my toes and put my knees way forward, and that actually hurts my knees. With about 150+ lbs on a bar, my center of gravity changes enough that I can squat with good form.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee from a skiing accident. If I'm doing a heavy squat, it's much harder on my knees to try to stop the squat part way down. If I go all the way down, I can get a "bounce" at the bottom that helps me change direction and start my drive back up.

For light squats, I don't think it matters either way, but I always go all the way down just because I don't like to practice bad habits.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether or not you want to make the financial investment, I'd recommend getting a copy of Starting Strength. Rippetoe goes into an almost ridiculous amount of detail regarding squat form. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest chapter of the book. It's definitely worth a read.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your knees shouldn't go over your toes with correct form.

I'm an ATG girl myself.
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether or not you want to make the financial investment, I'd recommend getting a copy of Starting Strength. Rippetoe goes into an almost ridiculous amount of detail regarding squat form. I'm pretty sure it's the biggest chapter of the book. It's definitely worth a read.

Yes! I second this recommendation. You can learn the physics of the movement and get a better understanding of the maximum strength benefits when you squat low.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it...if you go to Amazon (http://ow.ly/lakGJ I shortened the address.) you can get a sample of the ebook for free. It may have all or at least part of the chapter on squats included. I don't remember how far the sample goes.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lol. This is all controversial.

There are 3 schools. Go to slightly above parallel.

Go to parallel

Go below parallel.

The MFP mob is mostly a below parallel group. I suppose different forums have their own mob.

A google search will give you lots of opinions on the topic. All of it is right. There is no wrong. It's just doing it the way you feel works based on your goals.

I've NEVER heard anyone who's serious about strength training advocating going above parallel. Unless they're maybe doing high box squats and following a Westside BB program.
  • ShaeLovelyy
    ShaeLovelyy Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I mean specifically when i did Insanity, Shaun T was very strict in consistently saying to make sure your knees dont go over your toes. Maybe that was the difference though? Insanity is more to lose weight and get fit rather than focusing on lifting/squatting heavy.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I mean specifically when i did Insanity, Shaun T was very strict in consistently saying to make sure your knees dont go over your toes. Maybe that was the difference though? Insanity is more to lose weight and get fit rather than focusing on lifting/squatting heavy.

I tried Insanity. While it may be a good cardio program, the squat technique I saw them advocating was....less than great.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Seems like a greater range of motion would result in a better workout...
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    The more I squat the lower I go.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I go slightly below parallel with heavy weights, and about parallel with endurance squats (5-6 minute routines). If you keep your weight in your heels it will help prevent your knees going over your toes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    The more I squat the lower I go.

I try to go lower each time. Doing ATG doesn't just work my legs more, on my opinion, but it has been helping me with my balance and flexibility.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Are you doing weighted squats?