Walking?

Options
If the only thing I did most of the time was walk with an incline at a brisk pace on the treadmill for 45 minutes, would that be enough? Would I need to actually run for it to be really effective? I've tried running before and I just hate it.

Replies

• irishpagan
    Options
    Moving is moving, and something is better than nothing. As long as you get your heart rate up and keep it up for a significant amout of time, walking is fine. Its easier on the joints too.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    That's a good cardio workout but eventually you may want to try something that does something for the upper body too. Maybe Elliptical with arms?
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    For me, walking at 4.0 brisk pace (15 min/mile) burns about 240 in a 45 minute period. It's all about calories in/ calories out!! I say go for it. If you walk an hour, my guess is you'd burn about 300 calories!! Good luck!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Actually, walking is better for burning fat than running, provided you do it for long enough (45 mins sounds good) and at enough of an incline to maintain a HR of 120-165 (so, you should be working up a sweat, but not breathing really hard). The body will initially burn carbs (sugars stored in the muscles) at the start of any exercise, but if that exercise is moderate and prolonged the body switches over to burning fat (since it contains more energy than carbs per gram). Running is really useful for cardio training where you want your heart to be working hard (>165 BPM), so if your goal is to burn fat, I highly recommend walking, or interval training (walk/run, repeat--this confuses the body over the course of the workout and I personally found that it helps burn fat really quickly).

Good luck!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    As long as you are doing some type of cardio, you will be fine, just enusre you stay within your calorie requirement for the day and you will be ok.....
  • Psychlone
    Psychlone Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The interval training is best....
    I find a tread mill to hard on my knees so i use and eliptical, also see if any parks by you have trails.... the hills and change in terrain when you hike makes your body work more

tbm
    Actually, walking is better for burning fat than running, provided you do it for long enough (45 mins sounds good) and at enough of an incline to maintain a HR of 120-165 (so, you should be working up a sweat, but not breathing really hard). The body will initially burn carbs (sugars stored in the muscles) at the start of any exercise, but if that exercise is moderate and prolonged the body switches over to burning fat (since it contains more energy than carbs per gram). Running is really useful for cardio training where you want your heart to be working hard (>165 BPM), so if your goal is to burn fat, I highly recommend walking, or interval training (walk/run, repeat--this confuses the body over the course of the workout and I personally found that it helps burn fat really quickly).

Good luck!
  • dawnsant
    dawnsant Posts: 44
    Options
    I have a treadclimber. It works great and is easy on your body ..... now if I can just stay on the thing onger than 11 minutes! After 11 minutes, I feel like my heart is going to jump out of my chest and my lungs hurt. Man, I used to jog 6 miles a day ... now 11 minutes on a tread climber kills me. However, if you can do it .. the calories that it burns.... AWESOME!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Walking is great but I find intervals better, so even if u don't want to run try changing the incline and speed of your walk throughout the session. It keeps your body guessing and burns a ton of calories.
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    :happy: HI WALKING IS JUST FINE, I HAVE ARTHRITIS AND FREQUENTLY WALK OUTSIDE AND ON THE TREDMILL, I BURN 150-200 CAL . THE MORE U STAY ON THE MORE U BURN, IT HOW U FEEL. GOOD LUCK KEEP IN TOUCH.. THIS IS A GREAT SITE..ISSY

1054310.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools