Daily sugar goal seems unrealistic?

Options
Two servings of fruit in one day puts me into the red....that doesn't seem right? Balancing my goals with a food pyramid is proving to be tricky...

Replies

• jenniferfiedler
    Options
    I agree! I'm usually way in the red right after breakfast because of my Orange Juice, Yogurt, and Banana. I actually started ignoring the sugar goal because of the fruit issue. I figure as long as I'm not getting the sugar from pop, candy, or baked goods I'm doing fine.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Better to eat the orange instead of drink the juice so you get fiber with the sugar. This will help slow down the absorption of the sugar.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    I ignore the sugar part. Mostly because the sugar I have comes from fruit. Nothing wrong with fruit.
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Only pay attention to the sugar part if you're getting your sugar not from fruit/fruit juices or if you're a diabetic.
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    I totally agree. I don't eat much sugar and most of what I do comes from fruit and not processed stuff, yet one apple and I'm halfway to my limit. I've started differentiating between "natural" and "unnatural" (for lack of a better word) sugars. Still, it's good to know what you're eating so you don't go too crazy.
  • dlpool
    dlpool Posts: 3
    Options
    I replaced the sugar category with fiber, which also seems low considering all the hype about that subject. With normal eating at meals and very limited fruit, I was still going over on the sugar every day. Throw in a small slice of cake (without icing) and it doubled. I also tend to go over on protein. Does anyone consider that a problem? I'm not diabetic.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit, and i always go over my "recommended" daily sugar intake. I don't sweat it, i don't think it's worth worrying about. Still counts as carbs though, 4 calories per gram.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    My sugar comes from fruit (bananas and berries) and honey a couple times a week. On the days I eat honey my sugar intake is high for the day, but it's still pretty low compared to what I used to consume!
  • wakeupsleepyface
    wakeupsleepyface Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336