so…I entered the weights room!

Options
Finally!!! I was just hoping to get some opinions on this gym program a trainer put together for me as part of my induction.

Squats 4x6
Leg press 4x6
Leg extensions 4x6
Chest press (cable machine) 4x6
Chest fly 4x6
Bicep curl 21s x 3 (half, then full)
Skull crusher 4x8
Pull up 4x6
Reverse fly (supersets)
Dead lift 4x5
Romanian dead lift 4x5

I was going to aim to do this 3 times a week alongside a spin class and a run and a separate abs class. Is this a good plan? It seems to focus on upper body more?

Also, the trainer said that I would focus on strength for 8 weeks then after that would be toning - e.g.) doing higher reps? I thought the objective was to continue to try to lift heavier. I did read NRWLFW but as a beginner I find the above workout more simple to start with! Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!

Replies

• jajnn
    jajnn Posts: 33
    Options
    Full body routines are great for those starting out.

You'll be very sore as your body adjusts but after doing that full body routine for a few weeks or so you shouldn't get DOMS very badly.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Squats 4x6
    Leg press 4x6
    Leg extensions 4x6
    Chest fly 4x6
    Skull crusher 4x8
    Pull up 4x6
    Reverse fly (supersets)
    Dead lift 4x5
    Romanian dead lift 4x5

That's a whole lot of lifting in one day, but if you have the time, go for it! Deadlifts, squats, leg presses, and Romanian dead lift all in one day is a really hard lower body workout.

I would ask your trainer to give you a novice/intermediate strength routine after your beginner program, rather than a toning program. You'll get better "toning" from a strength routine anyway. Plus you'll be stronger.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Finally!!! I was just hoping to get some opinions on this gym program a trainer put together for me as part of my induction.

Squats 4x6
    Leg press 4x6
    Leg extensions 4x6
    Chest fly 4x6
    Skull crusher 4x8
    Pull up 4x6
    Reverse fly (supersets)
    Dead lift 4x5
    Romanian dead lift 4x5

I was going to aim to do this 3 times a week alongside a spin class and a run and a separate abs class. Is this a good plan? It seems to focus on upper body more?

Also, the trainer said that I would focus on strength for 8 weeks then after that would be toning - e.g.) doing higher reps? I thought the objective was to continue to try to lift heavier. I did read NRWLFW but as a beginner I find the above workout more simple to start with! Any thoughts??? Thanks!!!
    Ditch the leg press and add in dips, bench, rows, and press (push, BTN, or OHP).
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you should alternate Squats and Leg Presses with Dead Lifts and Romanian Dead Lifts? That's a bit of work on the legs and lower back.

Maybe on days 1 and 3 do Squats/Leg Presses, then day 2 do Deadlifts and R DLs?

I think other than that, it's a solid beginner workout. After 12-16 weeks, you may want to take out the leg press and do some dumbbell lunges (walking perhaps?), add a row type exercise for your middle back (seated cable rows or bentover single-arm dumbbell row, for example), and some shoulder overhead press or dumbbell raises.

Good luck, hope you have great success!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It seems light on shoulder work. Perhaps add OHP? It's a lot to do 3 times a week but seems right for a beginning program. The important thing is to stick with it and modify it slowly to adjust to your changing goals.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    damn.. you must be in the weight room for like 120 -150 minutes?!? when i do 4 exercises at 5*5 in the weight room i'm there for 45-60 minutes.

if you're doing these like a traditional strength training program where you increase your weights every workout then you're going to find that the amount of time you spend will really increase once the weight gets very heavy and you need those 3-5 minutes to recover between sets..

unless you're made of time, i agree with the others who suggest getting rid of some of the exercises and yeah, OHP are your friend :-)
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Would suggest doing some cardio either before doing weights or after. I generally do 10-15 minutes before my strength training class (more like individual training than a class). My trainer has us work from large to small muscles, and alternate upper body one day and lower the next, with planking or other core work on all days. The alternating days helps me keep the strength training workouts to an hour.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Looking this over a little more closely, I notice some duplication.

Squats/Leg press/Leg extension

Chest press/Chest fly

Dead lift/Romanian dead lift

If you need to reduce the time you spend in the gym, just do one of each, not all of them. You can change them up from day to day, just to give yourself some variety.

Good luck! Looks like fun!