Thyroid Disease

Options
sassykeez
sassykeez Posts: 15 Member
:explode: Any one out there dealing with hypothyroidism? I was successful in losing 33 pounds in about 6 months...I burn a minimum of 600 calories daily, but usually around 1000+..and about 90% of the time I come under my net calorie goal. Within in past 4 1/2 weeks I have gained 20 POUNDS!!! It's so discouraging, I work my *kitten* off.. and out of my control, this happens.. I know that as my thyroid problems started creeping in again, I started to become fatigued, continued to be active with exercise daily but possibly at a lower intensity, food choices, although still pretty good, started to rely on what was quick and easy.. as I am just so tired.. Still under calorie amounts, but more sweet stuff (i think). I've never really deprived myself during this journey, just used moderation and that worked for me.. I wonder if now that isn't working because of my health? I guess I just need a little encouragement. I know I won't give up, but it's so hard to work so hard everyday and get negative results. :sad: It just feels like the last 7 months have been flushed down the toilet, I feel so defeated...

Replies

• AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So sorry, that is horrid. I am on thyroid medication and definitely know the issues with it affecting weight.

Have you had your levels checked lately? You may need an alteration to the hormone replacement you are on (assuming you are on pills).

Maybe it might help to recalculate your figures (daily energy expenditure etc). You might be eating too little or too much. Just don't give up. It's a long and difficult process. Although you've had some gain, I'm sure once you've sorted out the issues, be it dietary or medical, you can lose that again and more.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. :)
  • mitze81
    mitze81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awww so sorry to hear! I have thyroid problems too and it makes losing weight all that much more difficult! Go to see your endo doctor and get evaluated! You made need an increase in medication or start taking it if you aren't already! Sometimes I forget to take my meds everyday and I pay for it when my levels dip!!! I rely on b complex vitamins and emergen-c supplements to try and keep me moving! Don't let your body win! You're stronger than that! Keep your head up!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you had your doc do a blood test? Are you taking the prescribed meds? Lots of reasons why you can gain 20lbs in a month. I have most of 'em. Get to your health professional or free clinic and get some blood test drawn. The thyroid draw is in a special tube and nothing else is tested from that tube. But while the needle is in your arm, the tech can draw as many tubes as needed to get everything your doc thinks you need test wise.

These meds are tricky with timing. Four hours after the last meal, one hour before you eat again. Must take with a full glass of water.
  • crysy1
    crysy1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. thyroid diasease runs in my family(mother, brother, sister, several aunts, etc), I believe I have it, I have many of the symptoms but every time they run my tsh levels they come in within normal range but close to not normal, I still think I have hypothyroidism but the tests say no. I know this sounds dumb but wish I could convince my doctor to run the deeper more detailed tests. hang in there keep fighting. having a health issue that complicates weightloss is just another challenge. you may need to have your thyroid medcation (if your on some) adjusted. the weightloss could have triggered a change in your thyroid levels, and if you are eating healthy you may have stopped using things like iodized salt and food that naturally have the iodine that helps with thyroid levels in them, so maybe ask your doctor to adjust ypur meds. just a suggestion. keep up the fight though!
  • ladyoflb
    ladyoflb Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Definitely go get a blood test to get a better feel for how your thyroid is functioning lately. I was born without a thyroid so I have dealt with these sorts of things my entire life.

Hopefully you feel better soon and I'm pretty sure a blood test will give you a better picture of what's happening:)
  • sassykeez
    Options
    Thanks Amber,
    I will add you. I do take Synthroid.. unfortunately my doctors and I have been trying to figure this out for about 18 years now!!!!! I've been on levoxly, citomel, armour, and combinations. Synthroid seemed like it was actually helping this time around and WHAM! I going to try to take a more aggressive approach with my doctor, I tend to want to not talk about all my symptoms because sometimes it sounds even annoying for me to hear coming out of my mouth! Im going to write it down.... Of course i deal with all the things that come along with hashimotos too so it's always a guessing game. I did get my levels drawn last week and I am waiting to hear back. Thanks for your response! I just got a fitbit so I can try to see how many calories I am REALLY burning everyday. I underestimate myself on MFP just in case ( as far as putting less amount of time then I actually did sometimes). But I'm going to see if you doctor has any recommendations on the caloric intake, Im not sure how to gauge what it enough or too much for me!! Always looking forward! Kelly
  • sassykeez
    Options
    Thanks! That's what I keep telling myself! There was a period of time where I let it win for about 14 months... bad times.. after that and my increase in energy started I was super motivated and started this new MFP and Calorie/exercise! I have always exercised, but when you physically CANT do something for almost a year, you learn to appreciate it a little more! :wink:
  • sassykeez
    Options
    mjcolbertson,
    yes I take my medicine 100%, every morning with when I wake up and don't eat for a min of 1 hour.. I've had a recent full physical and everything came back normal.. but I don't know if that was specific enough testing. I guess I'll just have to dedicate a day a week or so to get to the doctor, that's usually what happens when I feel like we need to try something different~~ & I drink lots of water, maybe more so because im ALWAYS thirsty, but I do drink lots :drinker:
  • sassykeez
    Options
    crysy1,
    Thanks! Honestly when this whole thing started I was in undergrad and i had the doctors telling me the same thing, normal tests, etc.. but I KNEW something was wrong.. I researched and researched and eventually went to them and said Ok, I know they are coming back normal, but could be just do it once a week for a month and if its all the same I'll know to look into something else? Well probably just tired of seeing me, he agreed, and what do you know, EVERY week was dramatically different, some in range, some not, but it was big differences... They although I was very pleased with myself :smokin: it didn't lead to a solution, besides medication, which I hesitantly took.. I went on and off it for years, but now have been steady on it for at least 8 years. Don't be afraid to ask, all they can do is say no, and then you can either accept that or find another doctor who will...
  • flinkyflonk
    Options
    yep - I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 8 months ago - after gaining 2 stones in 9 months. I thought I just had to start taking the medication and it would simply fall back off. Nope - if only it were that simple. I go for checks every 3 months - it has righted itself so I am on the right dosage. Don't know if it helps - but I read having one brazil nut a day helps.... I have been trying it - and it does seem to help.
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The whole reason I am working to lose weight is as a result of a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis-an autoimmune condition that CAN occur to women going through menopause.

When I turned 50, I, (who was size 1 until I was 30, then married, had kids, and then was size 6) started menopause. I gained 15-20 pounds each year despite a very aggressive exercise routine, a hold over from a 25 year Navy career. I kept being told that "women gain weight when they start menopause." That can be true, but how much weight? It wasn't until year 5, when my joints ached so badly that I felt like a 90 year old instead of 55 that my provider did blood tests and looked at past tests to determine that I'd gone from hyperthyroidism to hypo in that time, and that my thyroid was dying. That took another 2 years to accomplish as I opted to do the "natural" method vice surgery or radiation.

Once on medication, I was assured that my weight would come off in the same manner it went on. The first 18 months resulted in a 10 lb weight loss...and no further. I had a new provider and asked if my medication level was accurate. She said I was in "the normal range." Well, my background is in healthcare, so normal is as normal does. I asked for another blood test and 2 days later got the call to DOUBLE my medication. YOU are the best judge of how your body is.....so be your own advocate. I also asked for a consult with a nutritionist and when I met with her she turned me on to MFP, setting my intake at 1520 calories. In 79 days I've lost 17 lbs, not had to be too rigorous with the exercise and eat the same types of foods as I'm used to, just make better choices to promote the weight loss. And....it is working.

My advice is much the same as others before me have listed above:
    1. Consult your Dr. and ask for a blood test or a referral to an endocrinologist (Internal Medicine Dr. specializing in gland diseases/conditions)
    2. Ask for a referral to a nutritionist...and find a good one!
    3. Continue with MFP. It has helped me be accountable for my "input!"

Best of Luck to You!
  • sassykeez
    Options
    born without a thyroid? I didn't know what was possible! thanks for the encouragement..I'm waiting to hear back and should know more by Monday..Two times in a row (months apart) I went in after blood work and I was in "range"... they said good.. get this blood work in 6 months! :noway: I thought WHAT?? 6 months, are you kidding me? I just have to remember sometimes that I haven't been with this doctor all along and they don't know how it goes for me, so I figured I would take the form and call them when I thought it was time... last week it was time! ( I still had 3 1/2 months to wait according to them) Ho hum... I guess I'll go to the gym now and try out my fitbit and turn my brain off for a couple of hours! Talk soon :happy:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    mjcolbertson,
    yes I take my medicine 100%, every morning with when I wake up and don't eat for a min of 1 hour.. I've had a recent full physical and everything came back normal.. but I don't know if that was specific enough testing. I guess I'll just have to dedicate a day a week or so to get to the doctor, that's usually what happens when I feel like we need to try something different~~ & I drink lots of water, maybe more so because im ALWAYS thirsty, but I do drink lots :drinker:

Are you careful to avoid taking a calcium supplement (if you take one) within four hours of your Synthroid? Also, magnesium is VERY important to proper metabolic processes. Since most Americans (about 85%) are magnesium deficient, that could be something to explore.
  • sassykeez
    Options
    flinkyflonk,
    Im glad to hear that, at least there is hope! When I was diagnosed (at 19 years old, im 38 now). The first response I would get from doctors was that I was to young to have Hashimoto's... (rolling my eyes).. its not as if I "wanted" it!! I know the weight gain is a HUGE part for me, but it actually hurts my body to gain that much weight that fast, I ache all over! And the fatigue is debilitating. Im a behavior analyst and I work with fantastic kiddos (home based) with autism and I can usually tell when I starting to go down this road again, my irritation level is drastically different, and having to be on my two 100% of the time during their sessions shows pretty quickly when I am not... We should all write a book lol :wink:
  • sassykeez
    Options
    mjcolbertson,

Are you careful to avoid taking a calcium supplement (if you take one) within four hours of your Synthroid? Also, magnesium is VERY important to proper metabolic processes. Since most Americans (about 85%) are magnesium deficient, that could be something to explore.

No.. I never knew that, I do take calcium, for about a year, but never paid attention to how soon after Synthroid. and I think one of my vitamins has magnesium in it, but I have to double check the amounts and amounts recommended... Can't I just trade in for a new body?? :grumble:
  • sassykeez
    Options
    The whole reason I am working to lose weight is as a result of a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis-an autoimmune condition that CAN occur to women going through menopause.

When I turned 50, I, (who was size 1 until I was 30, then married, had kids, and then was size 6) started menopause. I gained 15-20 pounds each year despite a very aggressive exercise routine, a hold over from a 25 year Navy career. I kept being told that "women gain weight when they start menopause." That can be true, but how much weight? It wasn't until year 5, when my joints ached so badly that I felt like a 90 year old instead of 55 that my provider did blood tests and looked at past tests to determine that I'd gone from hyperthyroidism to hypo in that time, and that my thyroid was dying. That took another 2 years to accomplish as I opted to do the "natural" method vice surgery or radiation.

Once on medication, I was assured that my weight would come off in the same manner it went on. The first 18 months resulted in a 10 lb weight loss...and no further. I had a new provider and asked if my medication level was accurate. She said I was in "the normal range." Well, my background is in healthcare, so normal is as normal does. I asked for another blood test and 2 days later got the call to DOUBLE my medication. YOU are the best judge of how your body is.....so be your own advocate. I also asked for a consult with a nutritionist and when I met with her she turned me on to MFP, setting my intake at 1520 calories. In 79 days I've lost 17 lbs, not had to be too rigorous with the exercise and eat the same types of foods as I'm used to, just make better choices to promote the weight loss. And....it is working.

My advice is much the same as others before me have listed above:
    1. Consult your Dr. and ask for a blood test or a referral to an endocrinologist (Internal Medicine Dr. specializing in gland diseases/conditions)
    2. Ask for a referral to a nutritionist...and find a good one!
    3. Continue with MFP. It has helped me be accountable for my "input!"

Best of Luck to You!

Thanks! I do have an endocrinologist, I do however mostly see the nurse practitioner, who I don't know if she is as knowledgeable as him, but she listens and asks a lot of questions that are usually relevant and even if Im close to in range she talks about how im "feeling" rather then just what the blood work says. The first time I met the Endocrine he seemed very interested and helpful, the next few times I felt like he was too busy and needed a lot of reminders about my history and who I even was.... I was getting blood work done pretty frequently, I thought he should of at least knew who I was and not responded with "oh that's right you... blah blah blah" when I said something that must of sparked his memory... Guess i need to find a new endocrine, my past one was like that too..but worse, I really like the nurse practitioner thought, do you feel i get the same level of treatment through her?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    mjcolbertson,

No.. I never knew that, I do take calcium, for about a year, but never paid attention to how soon after Synthroid. and I think one of my vitamins has magnesium in it, but I have to double check the amounts and amounts recommended... Can't I just trade in for a new body?? :grumble:

What's great about magnesium is that you can absorb it right through your skin, if you are deficient. You can either take Epsom salts baths (Epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate)-- I take two15-minute baths per week (follow Epsom salts package for amount). I generally put two cups of Epsom salts per bathtub full of water as hot as I can stand it. It is VERY soothing of all aches and pains, and relaxing--I take my baths in the evening so I can go right to bed. But don't do it too often as it is possible to overdo it. The other way is through using magnesium "oil" on your skin. Much harder to overdo on magnesium oil. It isn't really oil--it is purified concentrated sea water (magnesium chloride is the main ingredient). It is about $20 for an 8 oz. bottle but it goes a long way because you will dilute it before using it (follow package directions for proper dilution). One bottle will last you at least 6 months.

Oral magnesium supplements are not an especially great idea (however, if you take calcium supplements, you should always take them in a combined cal/mag tablet, as the magnesium helps to keep the calcium from forming stones in the kidneys). Many people tend to get gastric problems when they take oral magnesium supplements (the main one being diarrhea, and that doesn't help much, as it tends to not be absorbed too well under those circumstances). Food sources are vegetables, in particular spinach, nuts, and some fruits like apples. Grain contains a fair bit of magnesium but it also contains a lot of phytic acid which binds up the minerals into phytates--not very well absorbed in the human gut. Don't know why more docs don't know about the importance of magnesium. It is important for EVERY process in the body. It is involved with energy transport to the mitochondria, and the utilization of thyroid at a cellular level (adequate blood serum levels of magnesium are essential for the conversion of T-4--thyroxine---to T-3, the active form that your body utilizes). .

It is thought that the main reason why most people are magnesium deficient is because 1) We eat too much sugar (metabolizing sugar "uses up" magnesium) and grain and not enough fruits and vegetables. and 2) Our high-stress lifestyles "use up" a lot of magnesium (we dump a lot during stressful times). We also get a lot of calcium through our diets (some people put cheese on virtually everything) and not so much magnesium. Athletes have a particular problem in taking in enough magnesium to offset their losses through muscular action and sweat.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis & PCOS (originally diagnosed in 2000). I switched endocrinologists b/c the first one I went to refused to increase my levoxyl b/c I was "within normal range". The second endo gladly increased it & over time, I came to know my body's symptoms for increasing or decreasing. My doctor doesn't even question me anymore, he just adjusts the dose when I ask him b/c the lab results have proved over the years what I had been saying every time. My TSH has to be below 1.0, preferably closer to .75, otherwise I will have the symptoms you described. That's extreme though. Not many people can be at this low range. And the doctors get nervous b/c the hypothyroidism could very quickly switch to hyperthyroidism with Grave's Disease, which is much worse. I've also found that the nurse practitioners are awesome. They listen very intensely & really think things through. I'm a big fan of nurse practitioners.

I noticed your daily calorie goal is 1200. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with the problem. Especially if you're doing a minimum of 600 calorie burns. There's a lot of information out there about the types of foods you should eat if you have a thyroid disease. Just do a google search. I personally don't follow any of it b/c frankly, I can't be bothered. I'm eating very healthy & it's working for me so I'm not going to complicate things. But you may pick up a few tips & find it helpful.

If you haven't had your vitamin D level checked, I would recommend that as well.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis & PCOS (originally diagnosed in 2000). I switched endocrinologists b/c the first one I went to refused to increase my levoxyl b/c I was "within normal range". The second endo gladly increased it & over time, I came to know my body's symptoms for increasing or decreasing. My doctor doesn't even question me anymore, he just adjusts the dose when I ask him b/c the lab results have proved over the years what I had been saying every time. My TSH has to be below 1.0, preferably closer to .75, otherwise I will have the symptoms you described. That's extreme though. Not many people can be at this low range. And the doctors get nervous b/c the hypothyroidism could very quickly switch to hyperthyroidism with Grave's Disease, which is much worse. I've also found that the nurse practitioners are awesome. They listen very intensely & really think things through. I'm a big fan of nurse practitioners.

I noticed your daily calorie goal is 1200. I'm pretty sure that has a lot to do with the problem. Especially if you're doing a minimum of 600 calorie burns. There's a lot of information out there about the types of foods you should eat if you have a thyroid disease. Just do a google search. I personally don't follow any of it b/c frankly, I can't be bothered. I'm eating very healthy & it's working for me so I'm not going to complicate things. But you may pick up a few tips & find it helpful.

If you haven't had your vitamin D level checked, I would recommend that as well.

^^^THIS^^^ A great post. I was going to suggest that you also have your D levels checked. Don't accept, "in the normal range"--ask for the numbers and then compare them to the new guidelines.
  • sassykeez
    Options
    mjcolbertson,

What's great about magnesium is that you can absorb it right through your skin, if you are deficient. You can either take Epsom salts baths (Epsom salts are pure magnesium sulphate)-- I take two15-minute baths per week (follow Epsom salts package for amount). I generally put two cups of Epsom salts per bathtub full of water as hot as I can stand it. It is VERY soothing of all aches and pains, and relaxing--I take my baths in the evening so I can go right to bed. But don't do it too often as it is possible to overdo it. The other way is through using magnesium "oil" on your skin. Much harder to overdo on magnesium oil. It isn't really oil--it is purified concentrated sea water (magnesium chloride is the main ingredient). It is about $20 for an 8 oz. bottle but it goes a long way because you will dilute it before using it (follow package directions for proper dilution). One bottle will last you at least 6 months.

Oral magnesium supplements are not an especially great idea (however, if you take calcium supplements, you should always take them in a combined cal/mag tablet, as the magnesium helps to keep the calcium from forming stones in the kidneys). Many people tend to get gastric problems when they take oral magnesium supplements (the main one being diarrhea, and that doesn't help much, as it tends to not be absorbed too well under those circumstances). Food sources are vegetables, in particular spinach, nuts, and some fruits like apples. Grain contains a fair bit of magnesium but it also contains a lot of phytic acid which binds up the minerals into phytates--not very well absorbed in the human gut. Don't know why more docs don't know about the importance of magnesium. It is important for EVERY process in the body. It is involved with energy transport to the mitochondria, and the utilization of thyroid at a cellular level (adequate blood serum levels of magnesium are essential for the conversion of T-4--thyroxine---to T-3, the active form that your body utilizes). .

It is thought that the main reason why most people are magnesium deficient is because 1) We eat too much sugar (metabolizing sugar "uses up" magnesium) and grain and not enough fruits and vegetables. and 2) Our high-stress lifestyles "use up" a lot of magnesium (we dump a lot during stressful times). We also get a lot of calcium through our diets (some people put cheese on virtually everything) and not so much magnesium. Athletes have a particular problem in taking in enough magnesium to offset their losses through muscular action and sweat.

Wow, thanks for all the information! I think I will look into the oil, although I do like Epsom salt baths, I know I probably wont commit to doing it twice a week..Sometimes it seems like there is just so much information about the things we should take that our bodies need that its overwhelming and seems like if you do it all, you'd be sorting out and taking supplements all day! I used to go to an Applied Kinesiologist, and that was the only time I felt like someone was managing it all well!