100g of protein without bars or shakes?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I have eggs and meat for breakfast, meat or fish for dinner, beans, cheese and/or meat for lunch most days... My snacks are cheese, greek yogurt, and I still find it impossible to reach 100g of protein a day without protein bars or shakes.

Not that I really mind, because they're great snacks that fill me up and my sweet tooth loves them, but I'm wondering if it's even possible short of eating meat all day?

Replies

• jtangcs
    jtangcs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Soy products typically are higher in protein. So you could consider soy milk, tofu or soy beans. I know you mentioned you're eating fish sometimes; maybe try eating it more often as that's higher in protein as well, in particular Tuna. Regular beans are also a good source of protein.

For snacking, maybe get some nuts - almonds, peanuts. They're great for protein too.

Good luck!
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I went to my dietitician whole told me I wasn't eating enough protein, even after eating meat and eggs regularly. She told me to up my portions of meats like chicken to 150-200g as a serving size. That really helps to up your protein. She told me that I needed 100g protein a day also.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do this too.. but always end up with the powder at some point. I just need to eat more meat with my meals.. i'm not a huge fan of meat.. so that's my problem. but i'm quite happy with my progress regardless *all smiles*
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about soy being higher in protein. I've looked into soy milk and wasn't impressed. Check it out though.

There's nothing wrong with supplementing with protein shakes. I'm pushing 150-200g a day but supplement with shakes and the occasional protein bar. They're quick, easy, and tasty.

I'm not sure how far off your goal you are a day but it can't be much if you're eating high protein food all day long. Perhaps you could try some inexpensive Body Fortress protein. At $15 a tub the newer formulation is 30g of protein per scoop. I've tried their cookies&cream and peanut butter chocolate. Both are good. More expensive but really tasty is Syntha-6. It's more calories per scoop and less protein though, but they have a myriad of flavors to choose from.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Unless I OD on boneless/skinless chicken breasts I have a hard time getting to 100g without a 22g protein shake.
  • Francl27
    Options
    I bought some organic vanilla protein powder at Wegmans that I really like (it's the only vanilla they had). Yeah I think I'll stick to that instead of more meat... I like meat, but there's a limit lol. We usually have fish once or twice a week.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get a second opinion. I don't think you need all that protein (not 100), plus isn't excess protein hard on the kidneys?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could get a second opinion. I don't think you need all that protein (not 100), plus isn't excess protein hard on the kidneys?
    100g is hardly excessive, but no, there is no proof to support that theory when the kidneys are otherwise working fine.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Well I just had sirloin steak, 1 egg, broccoli, peas and cottage cheese for dinner. That meal alone was 68g protein and 575 cal, 100g a day is easily do-able.

Have porridge oats with skimmed cows milk for breakfast.

For snacks have Greek yoghurt with berries, handful of almonds.

For lunch have a chicken, tuna or beef sandwich on wholemeal bread and spread with peanut butter rather than standard butter.

Also soy aint a good idea for men as the estrogen gives guys Moobs!
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Today with exercise my protein goal is in the 150s :noway: In fact, on days I actually I hit my protein goal, I feel like celebrating! I have been trying to eat lots of Greek yogurt and I just recently started making smoothies with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey (vanilla) and throw some yogurt into those sometimes. I'm finding that if I have protein heavy breakfasts and lunches I do better hitting the goal. Problem is I love love steel cut oats in the morning which doesn't do a ton for my protein levels.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein almost daily, and am usually (though not this week) up around the 150 mark. I eat a lot of meat and eggs. The whole egg, not just the whites. Greek yogurt is good. Cottage cheese. Cliff bars (my favorite is the chocolate brownie...it looks like bear **** but it's soooo good!) Fish. More fish.

Morningstar garden veggie patties are 1. insanely delicious. I seriously prefer them to regular burgers, and I'm not even a vegetarian and 2. high in protein and 3. insanely delicious.
  • TamiSH2
    TamiSH2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese 1 cup has 26g of protein and 180 calories
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I manage to get 100g from meat/eggs/dairy every day pretty easily. I do find it tough to get up to my goal of 150g, though. Bigger meat portions than whatever is erroniously recommended as standard is the best way to get there. 3 or 4 eggs is pretty easy to eat, now too. I used to have to work at more than 2, but I'll have 4 sometimes if I am not having the meat with them. Tend to have to watch the fat a little closer when you eat that much meat, though. I like to keep it around 100g, but when you eat a lot of pork or fatty beef, it's very easy to overdo it.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I'm at 96 grams today and haven't had supper yet no shake bars or powder. My diary is open feel free to look.
  • Francl27
    Options
    My goal is 136g.
  • DoxieLove10612
    DoxieLove10612 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have to eat 120 on non workout days so I completely understand. I eat so much chicken and eggs its unreal. I add in almonds when I can. I was making my own trail mix but have braces now so it's a pain but it really helps! You can go to whole foods and get nuts and dried fruit to make your own.

On workout days I do add Isopure Zero Carb b it has 50g of protein.
  • master_chief88
    Options
    protein shake for me, I know you said you don't want them, but its actually cheaper than getting it from food (although not as tasty lol)

www.bulkpowders.co.uk sells some of the cheapest and best, I think they ship overseas as well
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about soy being higher in protein. I've looked into soy milk and wasn't impressed. Check it out though.

Yeah, soymilk is the best non-milk-milk for protein content, but it's not amazing or anything.

I can get 100 g of protein into my diet without supplements, from the usual sources (dairy, lean meats, legumes, grains, eggs). I manage to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, too. It might be harder to get that amount of protein if your calorie allowance is very low, but that's a different sort of problem.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast, 4 oz
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 1 cup
    Jumbo Eggs, 2 eggs
    Cheddar Cheese - Shredded 2%, 2 servings
    All Whites - Egg Whites (46g) 4 servings
    1 Low carb Yogurt

90 grams of protein in one serving. I usually eat this for breakfast or after an intermittent fasting.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    MHP Protein Pudding.....some beans, tempeh, swiss cheese, yougurt...egg whittes!