A Healthier Alternative to that Mocha Latte

Options

Replies

• MzOakland
    MzOakland Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I just made this. GIRL you were right on. It takes exactly like a mocha latte. At first I thought the Ovaltine was a little expensive then I realized its the cost of 2 Grande mocha. I just may be officially done with Starbucks!! Thanks again!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Check out the ingredients in the powdered "creamer". I wouldn't call this a "healthier" alternative. Perhaps a less caloric one but certainly not "healthier".

I didn't think she was claiming it to be "healthy"
    Well, the title of this thread is "A Healthier Alternative to that Mocha Latte" so...
  • kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • dmb0114
    dmb0114 Posts: 49
    Options
    a big BUMP (must try later!) THANKS OP!
  • Brookesworld104
    Brookesworld104 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this... However I would strongly recommend the use of real milk, or Almond or Coconut milk in the place of non dairy creamers. They are so unhealthy for you, and because your body doesn't even recognize them as food, they get stored as fat.
    Read this:
    http://bodyandhealth.canada.com/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=5709&channel_id=9&relation_id=26047

Also, be aware that at Starbucks you could get any latte nonfat, and also sugar free (although again be careful with Sugar free sweeteners) a Tall skinny latte is only 90 cals, grande 120 and venti 160.
  • etexmed
    etexmed Posts: 1
    Options
    I've started using Atkins Mocha Latte Protien Shakes. Healthier and I have grown to like them.
  • ImaBeRockinDatBody
    ImaBeRockinDatBody Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I can have my whip cream again!! Reddi Whip low fat, here i come!!!!
  • timeforsomethingsweet
    timeforsomethingsweet Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sounds YUMMY! thank you =D
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks! i gotta have the whip on "special" days lol.. being pregnant now though, whenever i feel like it :)
  • valerieg78
    valerieg78 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump for later! gotta try this!
  • NatureWildchild
    NatureWildchild Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Which flavor are you using? Rich Chocolate or malt?

Okay my vote on the Malt flavor is in.. and it's lacking. The Rich Chocolate flavor is much better. :wink:
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Also try this if you crave starbucks, but don't want the calories, artificial everything, fat, carbohydrates, sugar, etc.

http://www.peanutbutterandpeppers.com/2012/06/18/skinny-vanilla-mocha-frappe/
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    OMG!! I just made this. GIRL you were right on. It takes exactly like a mocha latte. At first I thought the Ovaltine was a little expensive then I realized its the cost of 2 Grande mocha. I just may be officially done with Starbucks!! Thanks again!

WoopWoop Yeaaaah!!:happy: I'm so glad you tried it and got those results too! I knew the powers had shifted when I was able to drive by a Starbucks and not feel the urge to get my mocha fix - because I'd already had it at home with zippo the cost and calories.
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    Check out the ingredients in the powdered "creamer". I wouldn't call this a "healthier" alternative. Perhaps a less caloric one but certainly not "healthier".

I didn't think she was claiming it to be "healthy"
    Well, the title of this thread is "A Healthier Alternative to that Mocha Latte" so...

"Healthier" YES it IS - but no I didn't say it was "Healthy". Less calories is healthier on your body, less cost is healthier on your wallet. The drink however does have it's pros to your system as well as cons, it really all boils down to each individual persons health issues.

For example (and I am speaking from MY situation only)... if you have trouble with breathing for whatever reason, the caffeine in the drink can relax and open up your airways which can calm you down because you can breath... Too much of it though can spike your blood pressure in a naughty way and wind you up like a bouncing tick. Everything in moderation.. :wink:

Bottom line - yes, it is a Healthier Alternative to the Starbucks Mocha Latte. :drinker:
  • NatureWildchild
    Options
    Thank you for posting this... However I would strongly recommend the use of real milk, or Almond or Coconut milk in the place of non dairy creamers. They are so unhealthy for you, and because your body doesn't even recognize them as food, they get stored as fat.
    Read this:
    http://bodyandhealth.canada.com/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=5709&channel_id=9&relation_id=26047

Also, be aware that at Starbucks you could get any latte nonfat, and also sugar free (although again be careful with Sugar free sweeteners) a Tall skinny latte is only 90 cals, grande 120 and venti 160.

I totally agree with you that using "real" milk would be better, however that is where the calories are packed and I was trying to cut that down. Also in the quest to find the closest substitution.. the Coffee-mate creamer hit best.

My system personally cannot handle any of the sugar-free or skinny drinks options (even in food).. as they make me feel sick very quickly. I opt for the raw sugar turbinado when I have to, but I'm not a big sweetner user. Thank you for your input though - I love stats! :smile:
  • bridgjones75
    bridgjones75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    love it! gracias!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would have never thought to use Ovaltine. I have use Hershey's Cocoa and find it to be bitter. I think I will give this a try. Thanks!
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea! The only setback will be the lesser amount of caffeine you will be getting compared to the Sbux original (since mochas are espresso drinks, and espresso has more caffeine).