Great foods for low carb!

Options
Thought a thread for new foods you have discovered that are low carb would be a good idea to keep us away from the bad carbs!
Ill start off, being low carb has really made be more adventurous and I've discovered some great foods I wouldn't otherwise even really know of, never mind eat! A range of foods makes it less boring too! Here's what I've discovered so far
Courgette
Swede
Cabbage
Marrow
- the 4 above are great for replacing carbs such as pasta, rice, potato in your meal.
I've also started eating more:
Eggs
Tuna
Ham (tasty and low carb!)
Onions
Crushed carrot (seems more like potato mash)
Bacon (fat sliced off)
Prawns
Chicken

What about you guys?

Replies

• martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds are great for snacks, dipping, and replacing for bread crumbs in meatloaf or meatballs.
    Almond meal flour and whey protein powder are great when you want to replace white flour for baking.
  • Beachbabex
    Beachbabex Posts: 9
    Options
    Never tried almond meal flour, ill give it a go!!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Do a Google search for recipes with almond meal or almond flour. There are a ton!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Carrots generally aren't considered low carb (for a veggie). They're not super starchy, just one of the things you have to somewhat be careful about. General rule of thumb for veggies is brighter colored = more carbs, but it really depends on what you're actually going for.

You can also use ground flax meal, it's mostly protein and fiber. It's not as fine as flour, but I'm not a huge baker so.
  • CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Type into amazon low carb and you get all sorts... Just be sure to check sugar count sas they can be cheeky x
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds are great for snacks, dipping, and replacing for bread crumbs in meatloaf or meatballs.
    Almond meal flour and whey protein powder are great when you want to replace white flour for baking.

Pork rinds make great pancakes !

OP: Why on earth would you cut the fat off of bacon ?
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options

The protein in pork rinds is not the sort your body digests.. :-)
  • MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options

I know that, I wasn't suggesting it as a protein source. It is tasty as a "breading" or volumizer in some recipes though. And still tastes great. Or a "I'm craving something crunchy to dip in my guacamole" type deal.
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options

I know that, I wasn't suggesting it as a protein source. It is tasty as a "breading" or volumizer in some recipes though. And still tastes great. Or a "I'm craving something crunchy to dip in my guacamole" type deal.

Myyyy bad :))) x
  • Beachbabex
    Options
    Carrots generally aren't considered low carb (for a veggie). They're not super starchy, just one of the things you have to somewhat be careful about. General rule of thumb for veggies is brighter colored = more carbs, but it really depends on what you're actually going for.

You can also use ground flax meal, it's mostly protein and fiber. It's not as fine as flour, but I'm not a huge baker so.

yeah that's true. although it's still better than bread of something! :)
  • Beachbabex
    Options

i don't like the chewiness of the fat!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds have no fat. They are made from fat trimmed from all the cuts of pork not bacon fat and aren't chewy but very dry and crunchy.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Pork rinds have no fat. They are made from fat trimmed from all the cuts of pork not bacon fat and aren't chewy but very dry and crunchy.

huh? You're confusing me! :)
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options

huh? You're confusing me! :)

OP was responding as to why she would cut the fat off bacon in the post above his.