Does anyone use a personal trainer??

Options
After following the advice of well meaning MFP friends and upping my protein intake and increasing my exercise, I have decided to hire a personal trainer. I have been working my butt of increasing my workouts to 2 hours 3x's per week, all forms and weight lifting and strength training, and in 18 days (almost 3 weeks) have not lost more than 2 pounds. I feel in my heart that something is not right here and before I give up, I am going to try a different approach. A personal trainer it is...
Does anyone on here have any advice as to whether I should just stick it out in the gym, or hire a personal trainer?? Any advice welcome, thank you.

Replies

• CeriGrindrod
    CeriGrindrod Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try it :-) x
  • Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will, just wanted to know if anyone else got passed it on their own without having to shell out the cash!! And if plateaus for a month a common.
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will, just wanted to know if anyone else got passed it on their own without having to shell out the cash!! And if plateaus for a month a common.
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice changes, 8 weeks for friends and family and 12 for the rest of the world.. Give it 12 weeks :-) xx
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a few years back. She gave great advice (much of which I still stick to) and devised a (mostly bodyweight) strength and cardio training programme on which I lost quite a lot of weight and improved my fitness.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    It takes 4 weeks for you to notice changes, 8 weeks for friends and family and 12 for the rest of the world.. Give it 12 weeks :-) xx
    Thanks again... i like your advice!! :flowerforyou:
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, I looove her!

She's been very helpful and very encouraging. I haven't dropped any weight and actually gained some. but I have lost inches! so I am loosing fat but gaining muscle so I will take it. lol.

I do not regret hiring her at all! I say try it and see if you like it.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I had a personal trainer a few years back. She gave great advice (much of which I still stick to) and devised a (mostly bodyweight) strength and cardio training programme on which I lost quite a lot of weight and improved my fitness.
    Thank you... this is encouraging!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I have a personal trainer, I looove her!

She's been very helpful and very encouraging. I haven't dropped any weight and actually gained some. but I have lost inches! so I am loosing fat but gaining muscle so I will take it. lol.

I do not regret hiring her at all! I say try it and see if you like it.
    I think I will, thank you!!
  • joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It was the best $ I even spent. If she still lived close I would still be seeing her, but she moved 60 miles away. She gave me the motivation to push myself harder and longer; she gave me the tools I needed to improve my diet. I fell off the routine and am again seeking a trainer. Try it, do at least 5 sessions and see how you feel about it. Many trainers will discount their cost if you buy a package of 5, 10 or more sessions and some will even let you share the session with another person so the cost can be more affordable.

Whatever you do, give it a chance and good luck to you.
  • CeriGrindrod
    Options

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I train a few people and I know for a fact that if they weren't trained by someone that knew what they were doing they will not get to their goals.

16.5yrs ago I was training solo style. No internet, no information and a completely lost 14yr old boy in the woods so to speak. I trained 12months once a week and I made gains. I was very skinny. After 12months people had noticed I had gotten bigger. The next 6month I trained with a friend 2x in the gym. I made more gains. I met my weightlifting (the sport) coach randomly and I have learnt so much. If I had not met my coach my life would be completely different. I would be a random guy in the gym and I would have never been an English Champion.

If you are not able to find get results on your own, seek a PT that knows what they are doing. Make sure you are taking measurements so the scale figure isn't the be all and end all of things. If you were say 130-140 and in fantastic would that bother you that you were not 115?

Koing
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I belong to a small gym that is part of my condo association. It offers aerobics, yoga, zumba, and the services of a personal trainer with whom I met with for 6 weeks, once a week. She begins with an assessment of your lifestyle, prior injuries, a gait analysis (very helpful if you have lower back or knee issues), etc. She focuses on what you want to accomplish in terms of weight goals and fitness, and overall balance. I was very pleased with her services and it was well woth the investment. She provided many alternative exercises using body weight, kettle ball, weight lifting, and a few of the machines in the gym. Her services were well worth the investment. Every exercise she recommended had a "build up" to a more challenging level; and she provided print outs of each one of them. Additionally, because the gym is so small, she is in there nearly every day, working with someone; and will help you out with questions. I think I just lucked out having a good trainer,particularly one who helped me to work with prior sports injuries and arthritis. I think to jump start a work out program, a trainer is beneficial, and some people find it motivational.
  • ciaokk
    ciaokk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to run routinely, do calisthenics, but didn't seem to drop much or would drop some pounds, then gain them back for unclear reasons to myself. I started using a personal trainer in January; 4 months later, down 12 lbs (11.6 of that is fat), gaining muscle, lost 9 inches in total. I do cardio on my own (2 to 4 x week), he does the weights and strength training (1-2 x week. I usually do more cardio after our workout which adds in 2 of the 4 episodes mentioned earlier). He told me to start using myfitnesspal.com and now I'm a devoted user and it has made me much more aware of portions as well as salt/protein/carbs/fat. I joined 24 hr fitness and have a great gym near my house (a "super sport" version). I love going to the gym (it's not intimidating) and find I know someone there from work nearly every time I go. While the training is pricey, I decided to invest in myself for once and am really enjoying seeing the changes. The first day at the gym, I wouldn't look at the scale because I was disgusted, now I hop on with glee to show him how much I've lost. I wasn't obese, but was overweight and needed to lose it. Pricey or not, it's an investment in yourself and it works.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Considering it as I want to improve my core strength and apparently, it needs improving a bit even though I am considered very fit by the trainer I had an initial consultation with. Also, I am very much interested in boxing, and he does boxing fitness, so there is that too, given I do not get on so well in group classes where there is 1 trainer to 5 or 6 people.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I have loved my personal trainer. I was planning on getting some more sessions with her next month, but found out she was leaving my gym :cry: However, she gave me a recommendation for another trainer, and having seen her both work out herself and train her clients, I'm excited to work with her a bit. For me, it's about getting form checks on some lifts, and motivation . I love getting my *ss handed to me in the gym, while I'm pretty good most of the time on pushing myself to my limits, having someone push me that little bit further than I think I can go is amazing, and worth the money.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I have loved my personal trainer. I was planning on getting some more sessions with her next month, but found out she was leaving my gym :cry: However, she gave me a recommendation for another trainer, and having seen her both work out herself and train her clients, I'm excited to work with her a bit. For me, it's about getting form checks on some lifts, and motivation . I love getting my *ss handed to me in the gym, while I'm pretty good most of the time on pushing myself to my limits, having someone push me that little bit further than I think I can go is amazing, and worth the money.
    I agree with this entirely!! This was my initial motivation, thank you!!
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I used to run routinely, do calisthenics, but didn't seem to drop much or would drop some pounds, then gain them back for unclear reasons to myself. I started using a personal trainer in January; 4 months later, down 12 lbs (11.6 of that is fat), gaining muscle, lost 9 inches in total. I do cardio on my own (2 to 4 x week), he does the weights and strength training (1-2 x week. I usually do more cardio after our workout which adds in 2 of the 4 episodes mentioned earlier). He told me to start using myfitnesspal.com and now I'm a devoted user and it has made me much more aware of portions as well as salt/protein/carbs/fat. I joined 24 hr fitness and have a great gym near my house (a "super sport" version). I love going to the gym (it's not intimidating) and find I know someone there from work nearly every time I go. While the training is pricey, I decided to invest in myself for once and am really enjoying seeing the changes. The first day at the gym, I wouldn't look at the scale because I was disgusted, now I hop on with glee to show him how much I've lost. I wasn't obese, but was overweight and needed to lose it. Pricey or not, it's an investment in yourself and it works.
    [/quote
    Thank you. ^^This^^. Made perfect sense.
  • Healthynut31
    Options
    I belong to a small gym that is part of my condo association. It offers aerobics, yoga, zumba, and the services of a personal trainer with whom I met with for 6 weeks, once a week. She begins with an assessment of your lifestyle, prior injuries, a gait analysis (very helpful if you have lower back or knee issues), etc. She focuses on what you want to accomplish in terms of weight goals and fitness, and overall balance. I was very pleased with her services and it was well woth the investment. She provided many alternative exercises using body weight, kettle ball, weight lifting, and a few of the machines in the gym. Her services were well worth the investment. Every exercise she recommended had a "build up" to a more challenging level; and she provided print outs of each one of them. Additionally, because the gym is so small, she is in there nearly every day, working with someone; and will help you out with questions. I think I just lucked out having a good trainer,particularly one who helped me to work with prior sports injuries and arthritis. I think to jump start a work out program, a trainer is beneficial, and some people find it motivational.
    This. Thank you!! Very informational.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I used a trainer for about 3 months when I first started. It was a great investment of my time and money. It's been 6 months since I last used her and she still makes herself available when I have questions or concerns. I feel way more confident in what I'm doing at the gym because she showed me the proper form and when to increase weight, etc. She also pushed me beyond what I thought I was capable of. I totally recommend getting a trainer when you're just starting out.
  • Healthynut31
    Options

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
    Thank you, and to you...