Limited food choices, advice?

Options
Right, so basically, I'm currently unemployed and living with my mum. She has very limited funds so most food is on the cheap side, nothing that goes off too fast as we can't afford it. She's very considering of me being vegetarian by buying my Quorn but otherwise, we can't afford much outside of the freezer.
I'm also a really crappy eater. I'm vegetarian, can't handle milk, a lot of fruit/veg makes me feel pretty sick too. Hence why my choices look quite rubbish.
My diary is open [I think...], I know it isn't great, there isn't much variety but I've tried to make the best with what I've got. Can any of you give me any advice of stuff I should cut down on or just cut out?
My weight isn't budging, at all. It's driving me insane. I'm at a healthy weight so I know it will take a lot more work & time to lose that weight but it's just so discouraging not seeing the scales move or the inches...

Sorry if I seem a bit dim or anything, my diet is appalling and it's all baby steps for me. I'm trying my best but apparently it's not enough.

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Had a quick peek at your diary

A few thoughts to save a few pennies

why Kingsmill bread and not own brand from say Asda,?

Why Qourn bangers and not own brand veggie ones?, or Linda Mcartney often on offer

Oops, just went back a bit further in your diary, and see you do have own brand

I realise on tight budget choices are very limited, but could you & mum perhaps cut down on the carbohydrates & increase the fresh veg, it does seem to missing from your diary

I know some veg is silly prices, but I have switched to using frozen veg, like cauliflower & broccoli, not only for convenience but is cheaper at the moment than fresh veg

PS, need I mention cut out the crisps? :-)

PPS, just spotted the fruit veg bit about you having problems with it. One advantage with the frozen stuff is you can just have a little bit with no waste or going mouldy
  • padackllins
    padackllins Posts: 36
    Options
    Quorn is on offer for 3 for £5 most of the time, same offer as Tesco's own [usually, sometimes they do 2 for £3] & we only buy Kingsmill when it's on offer, too :) We're bargain hunters haha.
    I used to have crisps 3 or 4 times a day, heh, I gotta cut out that last pack! We don't have any left anyway, so I can tell my mum not to buy anymore or to hide them from me :D
    Peas & sweetcorn are staples for me, I love them. I'm trying to work more stuff in, try more things to see what doesn't make me want to be sick. Are parsnips carbs by the way? Sorry if that's dumb!

But yeah, I'll definitely try cut back on the carbs. Any suggestions on what I can have in my meals instead? As you have probably noticed, they're pretty consistently there. :P What should I replace them with?
  • farway
    Options
    Parsnips are sort of carby, and also high in starch & sugars, sort of in same pile as spuds really

However, how about trying roasted vegetables?, Even some mini spuds included
    Waitrose has recipe on line

http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/r/roast_vegetable_medley_with_stilton_and_chestnuts.html

I use it as guide but omit the expensive stuff, like walnuts & Stilton, and use just a smidgeon of rape seed oil [or any veg oil to hand really]

heat roasting dish, with a scant tablespoon of oil, gas 6, chuck in vegiges,I use onion, carrots, parsnips, a mini spud or two maybe, and [from Jamie Oliver] cauliflower, give all a good stir round to coat in oil

Follow the general recipe for timings, give them a mix up and stir half way through

I have not tried, but I bet a sweet corn cob would do well in the pan along with the rest

PS, I have also chucked in a few sausages, but I found the Linda Mc ones just dried up and were like trying to eat sticks. Quorn may do better, pork bangers work, but of little use to you
  • closedforrenovation
    Options
    If you have any in the area, shop at the asian supermarkets as much as you can. They have a ton of vegetarian options and the veggies are way cheaper than other places, sometimes 1/2 to 1/3 of what I ordinarily pay.
  • Project_Jodie
    Project_Jodie Posts: 171
    Options
    Hello friend :)

Ok so this is my opinion take it or leave it but I'm saying this with the best of intentions :)

I think you need to reassess what your putting into your body. I had a look at your diary and to me it loooks pretty unhealthy, high in carbs and fat and highly processed foods.

From what I understand the cost of living over where you're from is a lot lower than here in Australia, here are a couple of tips from when I was a struggling student and also now as I try and lead a more healthier lifestyle

- Try shopping at Farmers Markets - We have them here, they are significantly cheaper and the produce is fresher than your general supermarket chain - do you have something similar?
    - Buy in bulk where possible - usually means discounted
    - if you're worried about fresh food going off, can you preprepare meals and freeze them? That way you will be planning your meals (and calorie intake) which will assist you in your weightloss goals plus also prevent your fresh foods from going off.
    - Add something green to your plate - it will fill you up more, is a much healthier choice than a lot of the options you've got
    - Try something new every day where possible - your diet is fairly limited. Try something new iwhere possible, look at what's on special, you never know what you might like etc
    - buy frozen vegies - might be cheaper but then def won't go off too quickly.
    - grow your own? Do you live in an apartment or a house - It's pretty easy to do up your own vegie patch and cheap if you are strugglign to buy your own. If you are in an apartment even just growing your own herbs would help.\

A few ideas anyhow in a bit of a rush and gotta go

Good luck! x
  • Project_Jodie
    Project_Jodie Posts: 171
    Options
    PS I am by no means perfect - I still can't quite get past my afternoon chocolate fix right now :( grrrr yesterday was a FAIL!

Anyway live and learn , change something every day to lead you on the path to be the best version of yourself!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Find out the times places like Asda, Marks and Spencer, Tesco etc do their daily reductions as the fresh food can come down to really low prices, sometimes as low as 10p, even at Marks.

Get some nuts, you can get pretty large bags for £1 from lidl and the 99p shop etc. They are a good source of nutrition.

There is a wide variety of vegetables out there. Keep trying until you find those you like. I love raw carrots dipped in houmous. You can easily make your own houmous.

Stews are great. Get a large bag of soya chunks from Holland and barrett, goes a long way, and add potatoes, veggies and macaroni with some stock to make a nice pot of stew that can last several days. You can also get soya mince to make pasta sauces and chilli, and those bags last quite a long time. Asda has their own brand of this, I believe, too.

Lentils and dried beans are cheap. You can easily boil up some lentils and cobble together a meal or soup using those.
    Look online for budget vegetarian recipes.
  • farway
    Options
    Seeing the mention of stew, veg curry with maybe brown rice, or white if easier for you

No need to go fancy on the curry, as on limited budget just use curry powder, I own brand is fine, I use Asda's own
  • padackllins
    padackllins Posts: 36
    Options
    A'all are genius'! Seriously, thank you so much I didn't think of half of that stuff :D
    I remember at one point a couple years ago if I stuff to 2 small meals, 1 decent size, i lost a lot of weight so I might try that but do it slightly better by actually eating good stuff for my main meal, not just pasta and cheese haha. Thanks so much guys, you're awesome! :)
  • farway
    Options
    That is what we are here for, mutual support