P90X BEGINNER

Options
Hi all-

After doing some research, I decided I wanted to give this 'P90X' program a try. I just ordered P90X today and should be getting it by the end of the week. I noticed many MFP users have used/ are using this program... any recommendations/ tips to help me as I begin the program?

Anything would help! Thanks!!

Replies

• irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just started myself today. It took me some time to get all the equipment and dietary stuff needed for the program. So there is some upfront costs. I'm going the Lean rout for round 1. Everything is tough (for me at least) , but you work up to it, which is really cool. Gotta stay focused, and push play every day. Lots of support out there. I wish you the best of luck!
  • Sandrea03
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd week of my 2nd round of p90x...I love it!!! Just do as much as you can (I guarantee it won't be as much as the people on the dvd's!) but who cares! And just press play everyday! The 1st 3 weeks are the hardest, and then you hit your first recovery week. and yay is that a great feeling!!! By the 5th week I was addicted and really looked forward to my workout everyday. Now on my second round I have my husband, my best friend, my neighbors, my brother, and 2 other friends doing it.

I like using a pull up bar with a band attached to it to do the pull ups. I personally feel like I am getting a better work out for my back and arms and not relying on my legs too much to pull myself up.

I just had a baby 5 months ago (my second) and p90x has been the perfect thing for my to do at home. In the 16 weeks I've been doing it, I've lost 34 pounds (16 of that pregnancy weight) and gone down 2 sizes...so I can tell you it works!!!!!

Please let me know if you have any questions or just need some support from a fellow p90x'er!
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    As a p90x user, im going to tell you what they dont tell you....you are going to need either hand weights or a resistance bands and a pull up/chin up bar...the very first disk is chest and back and it uses those things through out the whole thing.

Other then that......Take your time with it, DONT rush or push yourself...one thing Tony ( the instructor on the dvds) says is QUALITY OVER QUANTITY....dont worry about doing 25 if you can only do 2. as long as your form is good and you can get those 2 PERFET, be proud of that.

Good luck and stick with it.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    hey there! my husband and i did day 5 of week 1 round one today. im loving it! and im a big girl....not having any trouble with it. just do what you can..dont feel overwhelmed.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I just ordered it today as well, I really look forward to it.
  • nikkishay717
    nikkishay717 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Day one will kick your but or at least it did mine. I was sore for the first 2 days but am loving it. The best thing to remember is do it everyday and stay with it. If you are tired rest and then start again. I am addicted and I'm just completed day 4 of week 1.

You will have to have a few extras though so make sure you get yourself some resistance bands or hand weights and a pull up bar. Also if you don't have a heart rate monitor I really suggest that you get one. You will be amazed how many calories you are burning and how hard you are working.
  • dougsheldon
    Options
    I'm on my recovery week right now, about to go into month 3 of my 2nd round. Personally I HATE the recovery weeks, because I love the actual workouts so much! haha
    I'm doing a slightly modified version though since my goal is to gain mass.

I just ordered a weighted vest today that I'll be using for month 3 and on my 3rd round starting next month.
    Make sure you eat enough though. You'll crash if your diet isn't sufficient.
  • Pulse1
    Pulse1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We're just starting our second round today.

Don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away. I didn't notice much until week 5, my wife didn't notice until week 6.

Once you start to notice, things will really take off (I was losing over 1lb a day for a while) and it makes it a lot easier to stay on task for the second 1/2 of the plan.

Also, go to the forums and look at how people are doing their diets. The included diet is good but a little broad for my liking (lean steak and chicken are interchangeable, for example). I actually found this site by going to the BeachBody forums.

But if you stick with it you will see results. It's not easy, you'll have sore muscles, you'll have days when you don't want to spend an hour and a half doing a yoga-ish routine, but it will work if you stick to it.

My results were a net loss of 20lbs and lost over 4 inches off my waist. It helped me reach my goals for the year by the end of June (6+ months early!). :)

Good luck!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice already. Just make a commitment to do it every day. You will see changes if you do it, period. Make sure that you print out the worksheets (you can sign up for an account at teambeachbody.com/superayla for free and then download the sheets) before you get started and write your stuff down. Do the fit test, take your measurements, and take your day 1 picture. Refer back to them for the motivation that you need whenever.

Oh, also decide which day you want as your rest day. You will work for 6 days and then rest on the 7th, so it is important to be able to set your starting date. My husband and I have Saturday as our rest day, so our new week starts every Sunday.

Finally, nutrition and the DVDs go hand-in-hand. Tony mentions it several times by referring to junk food as bad. Try to eat as clean as you can and get the junk out.

You will have a great time doing this - it is a blast.

Lisa
  • esmilanich
    esmilanich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do it!! I never did P90X, but I am a Coach for Beachbody, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me! I did Chalean extreme and went from a asize 8 to a 4. I am currently working with Brazil Butt Lift (AWESOME!) and just ordered Turbo Fire! Stick with it and like someone earlier said, quality over quantity!!!
    www.teambeachbody.com/esmilanich
    esmilanich@gmail.com
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I get mine tomorrow and can't wait to start my first workout!! Thanks everyone for the great advise on the forums. Beach body here I come!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    My friend has p90x...and istead of sounding liek a mooch(hey, can i used your p90x) i told her i would help motivate her to get back into by working out with her haha. So anyday here soon when we find a good schedule for us, I will be a fellow p90xer!
  • Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options
    Well since everyone already gave great advices, i'm just gonna say 1 thing... MODIFY ! hehe i agree with quality over quantity, how ever if you can do 2 perfect out of 20 then do those 2, but try to do 5 more modified :))

for example, if you can do only 2 pushups out of 15, try doing those 2 perfect, and do the next 5 on your knees or whatever you decide :) You wouldn't believe how much of a difference it makes after some time :)
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Best of luck with it!! Make sure to modify as your body sees fit because everyone is different and you don't want to hurt yourself by straining your body too much as it is a very intense program. Some parts you may have to ease into, but don't give up and just get pushing through it because it's a great program!
  • kimberlyleis
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for all of the great advice! I know feel prepared to begin this journey. I will log my progress on here.. looking forward to it!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing with P90X so far?? I just finished W1D2 - Plyo! Whew I sweated a ton. Over 600 cals in 50 min. Love it! (Have a feeling my legs are going to HATE me tomorrow though!!) I felt a lot through my chest today too after all the pushups last night. Can't wait to see what will be sore next :)
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice already. Just make a commitment to do it every day. You will see changes if you do it, period. Make sure that you print out the worksheets (you can sign up for an account at teambeachbody.com/superayla for free and then download the sheets) before you get started and write your stuff down. Do the fit test, take your measurements, and take your day 1 picture. Refer back to them for the motivation that you need whenever.

Oh, also decide which day you want as your rest day. You will work for 6 days and then rest on the 7th, so it is important to be able to set your starting date. My husband and I have Saturday as our rest day, so our new week starts every Sunday.

Finally, nutrition and the DVDs go hand-in-hand. Tony mentions it several times by referring to junk food as bad. Try to eat as clean as you can and get the junk out.

You will have a great time doing this - it is a blast.

Lisa

How do I download or get the free workout sheets?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Go to the Beachbody website to get the workout sheets.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    As a p90x user, im going to tell you what they dont tell you....you are going to need either hand weights or a resistance bands and a pull up/chin up bar...the very first disk is chest and back and it uses those things through out the whole thing.

Wow really. So you're saying that the P90X infomercial shown 20 times a day, the Beachbody web-site, the Beachbody forums, the Beachbody coaches, or the many people on myfitnesspal that have done P90X do not tell you that you needs weights and bands for the program? Are you sure about that?