Stronglift. Opinions?

Options
I was advised to do stronglift program by a member here in MFP. Is it that effective? And do you only do 5 sets, 5 reps of each? Is the stronglift program effective enough to maximize fat burn? I noticed it's only squats, bench presses, and OHPs. Would that be enough for effective fat loss? Thanks. :)

Replies

• violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Stonglift 5 x 5 should be deadlifts, squats, bench, overhead press and row. It is effective for making you stronger and maintaining lean body mass while you eat at a deficit.

You can read more about it here:

http://stronglifts.com/
  • kokevendingmachine
    kokevendingmachine Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How long should you do this then? 3 months, a year? :)
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Check out the group here on MFP

Stronglifts 5x5 for Women

Read all the stickies and that should answer most of your questions. As someone else also linked, the Stronglifts website also is a great source of information.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think strong-lifts is a good solid program. Actually it's a somewhat standard 5x5 program that someone ripped from somewhere else and modified slightly, as I understand it. But it's a fine program. And it's all laid out so it's ready to pick up and start doing.

Actually I would suggest it's probably most suitable for someone with a little bit of lifting experience as it includes some more technical lifts.

Also 5x5 is less reps and more sets. Why less reps? So you can do heavier weights and allow your nervous system to adapt to throw heavier weights around. 5x5 is for strength and not for size. That is not necessarily suitable for people new to lifting. You are likely better off with a traditional 3x14 (to start) or 3x8-12 (with a little bit of experience) lifting rep/sets combination. You will cause more size growth and less strength. As a girl you don't usually have to be afraid of growing too much in size though as you lack testosterone.

Everyone is doing stronglifts though, so it's very popular and everybody mentions it. There's no real harm in going with it I guess.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I think strong-lifts is a good solid program. Actually it's a somewhat standard 5x5 program that someone ripped from somewhere else and modified slightly, as I understand it. But it's a fine program. And it's all laid out so it's ready to pick up and start doing.

Actually I would suggest it's probably most suitable for someone with a little bit of lifting experience as it includes some more technical lifts.

Also 5x5 is less reps and more sets. Why less reps? So you can do heavier weights and allow your nervous system to adapt to throw heavier weights around. 5x5 is for strength and not for size. That is not necessarily suitable for people new to lifting. You are likely better off with a traditional 3x14 (to start) or 3x8-12 (with a little bit of experience) lifting rep/sets combination. You will cause more size growth and less strength. As a girl you don't usually have to be afraid of growing too much in size though as you lack testosterone.

Everyone is doing stronglifts though, so it's very popular and everybody mentions it. There's no real harm in going with it I guess.

Focus on SL when starting is on form for the 5 big compound lifts, hence the reason most start with the Oly bar, if not less as their starting weight. Starting Strength is also a hugely popular beginner program, although 3x5. These programs allow a beginner to maximize time spent on form, get the biggest bang for their buck, and also maximize strength gains which are the greatest for newbies. All-Pro's beginner routine is also very popular and does run in the higher reps, lower sets, but similar in terms of lifts. There is definitely a common theme to these workouts....and they are free which is a huge bonus.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I do SL5x5 and have seen a huge change. I have my start pic and my 30 day pic on my profile feel free to check it out. On the first ill have my next pics up. It works!