Looking... deflated?

Options
There really isn't a better word for it, and when I showed The Mister how weird my stomach looks, that's how he described it. I realize I haven't lost a ton compared to what I /need/ to lose, but it's starting to be noticeable... and yup, deflated. My arms are starting to look the same too.

So, a couple questions: I know that it takes skin quite a while to catch up, if it's ever going to. (Most of what I read suggests about 2 years - blech!) Any suggestions on being less eeked out by it, or how to deal with it in the mean time? Also, how come no one ever mentions this?! :P

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    my tummy looked a little deflated after having my second child. it improved somewhat after a few weeks. it improved a little more after a few months. it really improved after a tummy tuck. just sayin'.

ETA: *ducks for cover*

x240-9c8.jpg
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just work out those areas and keep hydrated. Eventually your skin will catch up. My tummy looks like a half full bean bag
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885
    Options
    my tummy looked a little deflated after having my second child. it improved somewhat after a few weeks. it improved a little more after a few months. it really improved after a tummy tuck. just sayin'.

ETA: *ducks for cover*

x240-9c8.jpg

Bahahahaha I've actually discussed the possibility of a tummy tuck, in a few years, after another baby or two. Not something I'm thrilled about, but a possibility nonetheless.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Building muscle usually helps a bit with that. I look better now than I did before at a lower weight because I cared to actually eat enough to gain/maintain muscle rather than ending up "skinny fat".

So having muscle will give you more tone, thus helping a bit with "deflation". On a purely epidermal level, 2 years seems to be the consensus for the skin to recover skin elasticity, unless you go for the tummy tuck.

I'd just try to see if being more toned helps first before going to the drastic point of tummy tuck.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Building muscle usually helps a bit with that. I look better now than I did before at a lower weight because I cared to actually eat enough to gain/maintain muscle rather than ending up "skinny fat".

So having muscle will give you more tone, thus helping a bit with "deflation". On a purely epidermal level, 2 years seems to be the consensus for the skin to recover skin elasticity, unless you go for the tummy tuck.

I'd just try to see if being more toned helps first before going to the drastic point of tummy tuck.

The tummy tuck would be a last-resort, and still dependent on a LOT of things. Unless I've got a massive apron left, I'll just leave it be; getting sliced on scares the bejeezus out of me! :) Thank you for the toning suggestion; it's definitely something I'm working on.
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends what age you are, your skin will recover much better when you're young. Give it time.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, deflated is the word for me too! Belly AND Boobs! Empty balloons! I am proud of them all but can't wait for them to catch up my weightloss..... however, as they have been streeeetttchhheed for over 30 years I guess it will leave some bagginess unfortunately. BUT, over the last couple of months people have been askingme if I have lost more weight, I haven't, I have just been continuing my heavy lifting 4-5 days a week and it seems to be moving again and making me look leaner. Patience.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Oh yes, deflated is the word for me too! Belly AND Boobs! Empty balloons! I am proud of them all but can't wait for them to catch up my weightloss..... however, as they have been streeeetttchhheed for over 30 years I guess it will leave some bagginess unfortunately. BUT, over the last couple of months people have been askingme if I have lost more weight, I haven't, I have just been continuing my heavy lifting 4-5 days a week and it seems to be moving again and making me look leaner. Patience.

So, so glad to hear it's not just me - though sorry you're deflating as well! I look forward to having the okay from the doctor to start heavy lifting... but for now, wimpy little 5 lb weights work better than nothing!
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It takes a bit for skin to catch up, cause your body has to deal with all the blood vessels and such which where there in the fat, I think it's like a mile of blood vessels are required per kilo or stone to keep it alive

Bodies are amazing things
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    How it impacts you as I think someone else mentioned is down to genetics, age, how long you were overweight and how overweight you got. It also (i feel) falls into two categories. Some people have it and it impacts them physically...it rubs, they get infections, it impacts there working out etc....if I was in this category long term I would look at sugery. I have lost 180 pounds so far with another 40 pounds to go. I do have excess skin. Its quite bad but not when you think how much weight I have lost. Mine doesnt impact me at all, it doesnt rub, it doesnt impact my working out and I dont get rashes or infections....so for me its purely aesthetics and so I wont consider getting surgery. At this stage of my journey, whilst I have always done some resistance training. My plan is now to do heavy lifting and hopefully that "fills the skin" to some degree. Also as a side note...if you dress well no one will even notice. Only people who know me would realise I have excess skin :)
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    How fast are you losing? Keep it 1-2 lb per week.
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mine took about two years, and it's the best it going to get. Weight training helps. I am having a tummy tuck and booby lift soon to fix what exercise can't.