How can I keep fit when I can't exercise atm ? ?

Options
I was involved in car accident a couple of weeks ago and fractured my lower spine. I am not allowed to do any exercise and am wearing a back brace atm. . . I always went to the gym and exercised and now I can't im afraid I'm gonna put weight on! how can i still loose weight without exercising?

Replies

• Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options
    Find out what is your BMR, and eat those calories or a little bit less... Or simply select that you wanna keep weight or lose 1 pound a week here on MFP and you'll get what ya need.

Exercising to lose weight is really helpful, but its the calorie deficit that does the work. So if your BMR is for example 1400 cals per day, take in 1300-1400 and you can't really gain weight even though you're not doing exercises.

Take care, take it easy, and just watch what you eat :) hope you'll get well soon
  • shaneferguson
    Options
    The important thing to do is not jeopardise your health in all of this. Your main priority should be making sure you get back to full strength.

Eat healthily and take it easy, but don’t risk you recovery but eating less than you physically need because in the long term it will be detrimental to your return to fitness and full health.

Get well soon!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I don't know but seems to me that you should refrain from trying to lose weight for as long as you're on the brace..
    Let your body concentrate on healing.

Just saying though..
  • Bloodie
    Bloodie Posts: 53
    Options
    Hmm to make a correction of my post, i didn't mean in any way that you should go and starve yourself a bit so that you would lose weight even though you cant exercise.

Eat healthy, and heal your body. My suggestions were out there so that you have an idea on how not to gain some weight even though you cant exercise :)
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    i agree with what is said above and I would also make sure what you eat is especially healthy to aid your healing & recovery period
    all the very best of luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I concur with all the posts, eat so that your body can heal. Once you're healed, THEN you can worry about getting back on the fitness train. Your body will need everything you give it to repair all the damage. Just don't go out of your way to eat that whole Bucket of KFC or all the Ben and Jerry's in one sitting. :cry:
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I'm a chronic pain individual and can only do what I can do - as far as exercise - but someone once posted that "... it's 80% diet and 20% exercise..." so set your goals as no weekly exercise and stay within your calories and watch the foods and make note of the foods that cause you discomfort and attempt to replace them with alternative foods. You can do this!! :bigsmile: If you go for therapy or have therapy exercises to do realize that you are moving and that's a good thing. Small steps unlike what you are used to be it won't be long you will be right back in the swing of things. :bigsmile: Good luck to you on your journey... We can do this!! :flowerforyou:
  • scott24
    scott24 Posts: 132
    Options
    The fact that you are wearing that brace and can't exercise is even more reason why this site can help you. Your new sedentary lifestyle (though temporary) will make you more prone to gain weight and you will need to make smart decisions to maintain (and even possibly lose) your weight.

Last fall I had back surgery after injuring my back some months earlier. It seemed like a year that my doctor's orders were "do only as much activity as you need to survive," which wasn't bad for me - I didn't exercise anyways. I gained weight during the months prior and several months after surgery - mostly due to my poor eating habits but also compounded my the inactivity of the back issue. I sure wish I had known about this site, as I could have been eating correctly instead of eating as recreation.

I guess my point is there is much more to this site than logging your exercise. You'll be back there again in no time. Most importantly, take this time to watch what you eat and eat healthy, developing the habits that you will keep for a lifetime.

I wish you the best in your recovery. I know that brace is a pain, but soon you can give yours away like I did the past weekend while cleaning out our spare bedroom.
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First, thank God you are ok. Second, everyone here is giving you great advice. Your body needs to heal. Make sure what you eat is healthy, avoid empty calories. Drink water it does wonders for your body.
    You will be back to health that is amazing. Take it easy, concentrate on getting well.
    linda
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    Options
    All of the above is good - just eat healthy and eat when you are hungry. that is a big key - don't set yourself for failure by snacking on bad stuff. I found after knee replacement that I wasn't really hungry even after PT. (the pain pills did that) so I ate only when hungry and tried to keep it healthy. Lost 15 lbs. Now that I am up and about, lost 10 more, it was a good jump start. Sorry you are hurt, but it can be dealt with. Just be positive and watch what you eat. You can do it!

After you are up and about just listen to the doc and don't over due it. good luck - glad you are on the mend. My ticket says 17 lbs, that is just since joining this site!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Eat CLEAN...if you've never read it, this would be a fantastic time to read Tosca Reno's book, "The Eat Clean Diet Recharged."
  • xEmma1991x
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments everyone, it has made me realise that along as I carry on eating healthy and don't be tempted by all those chocolate and sugary snacks I can still maintain and hopefully loose weight without putting any on! Thanks :-) x