58 Year Old Goddess Completes 1st 5K Mud Run

Options
boatsie77
boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
....well....the Mud Run is really tomorrow morning (May 19) and I will follow-up with another post tomorrow when I complete it--I'm just putting my "intentions of success" out there into the universe and putting some information here for others who are contemplating or preparing for a 5K Mud Run.

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm sorry I can't accept Friend Requests at this time, but I'll be glad to respond to any posts or e-mails I get for any further information or tips I pick up during my race. Additionally, I want to give a shout-out to MFPeep "SHELLBATRONIC" for her tips about her recent Mud Run.

Over the past year I dropped 80+ pounds with the help of MFP and reached my goal weight of 155 on Easter of this year. My "Goal Posting" is here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/950527-58-years-old-and-81-pounds-gone-pics-too

I signed up for this 5K Mud Run back in February since it came 2 weeks after a cruise I booked and I wanted something to keep me motivated to get back into my "Healthy LIfestyle" as soon as I was back on dry land.

In February I also started working out on the Nautilus weight machines at the gym and in March I started the C25K program. I'm still doing the weights, but had to ease up on the C25K since I was experiencing some ankle problems. I kept up fast walking, and after giving my foot a rest during the cruise, I started back on the C25K last week. I managed to get up to Week 6, Day 1 (20 minutes of continuous "wogging"), so it's going to have to do--I don't intend on running this thing anyway--there's only so much one can get out of a 58-year-old menopausal body.

In researching Mud Runs, I've learned the following: Never wear cotton! It holds water, gets baggy and chafes your skin. Protect your hands and knees. Triple knot your shoes (duct tape interferes with movement of your feet and ankles, starts to peel off when wet and muddy, and if wrapped around the soles of your shoes can interfere with your traction while climbing obstacles) With that in mind, I got some dry wicking, tight, NON-COTTON, capris (that go below the knees); a dry wick shirt with long tight sleeves (might be an issue, I'll see); and will wear good quality NON-COTTON, low runner's socks (but not low enough to roll down into my sneaks--I hope). I'll wear a pair of fingerless exercise gloves with rubber padding on the palms and an old pair of running shoes that I can leave there and they'll donate to the folks in Haiti. I'll be "flying without instruments" since I'll have to remove my hearing aids and eye glasses (thank goodness I still got my own teeth).

I didn't carbo-load with pasta tonight, instead I had T-Bone Steak (protein); Baked Potato & Corn on the Cob (carbs)--my body needs to work tonight to turn that stuff into fuel for tomorrow. My heat doesn't start till 11am, so in the morning I'm having my usual protein and fruit smoothie. I've also been cameling up on water today and will down some with a bit of Gatorade up to about an hour before the race.

I looked up the results of last year's race tonight, and out of 1350 competitors, there were only 4 ladies as old or older than I...and I thought geez...am I nuts or what?? I plan on completing all 15 obstacles...I'll at least give them all my very best try.

I'd better get some sleep, but before I go to bed, I've gotta paint my nails pink to match my Mud Run shirt...a gal's gotta do, what a gal's gotta do!

Replies

• cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts afterwards!!

Cherie
  • accedere
    accedere Posts: 4
    Options
    You are full of energy! Great work & very inspiring :)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Well I did it! I finished the Mud Run--tried ALL 15 obstacles and could only not complete 2 (rope climb & hand-over-hand monkey bars...my upper body strength needs work)--I did, however, do the "Penalty 25 Jumping Jacks" for each. My only injuries were a bruise on my elbow (from I don't know where) and some minor rope-burns on my shins from climbing a cargo net. Overall muscles are aching but not too bad--check back with me in the next couple days. =O.

Here I am in May 2012 (a year ago)...I weighed 232 pounds

May22012OneMonthInemail_zpsaad7416a.jpg

Here I am in my Mud Race Outfit...Weight: 152 pounds

BeforeRune-mail_zps0f29fcf7.jpg

Mud Races do come with benefits...

FlagGuyemail_zpsc235041d.jpg

First mud pit, then jogging through the woods for about 1/2 mile with a coat of mud and wet shoes...what fun!!!

Mud1email_zps855017d5.jpg

VICTORY!!

Victoryemail_zpsb3627690.jpg

Lessons Learned:

DEFINATELY go with the Stay-dri fabrics on all your clothing & socks--folks wearing cotton were bogged down big time!
    The long sleeves worked for me since they stayed wet and kept my arms cool and out of the sun.
    I think the exercise gloves helped with the cargo net & rope climb/inclined wall. They felt comfortable throughout.
    No need to duct tape shoes on--tie them on tight, they'll stay.
    Definately wear shoes to donate--cleaning them would be a b!tch!
    I had a smoothie for breakfast and didn't go nuts on drinking water before the race--was told it dilutes the electrolytes.
    I had a pouch of Gatorade Prime Sports Fuel drink, Grape, 15 minutes before start time. I think it helped keep me hydrated.
    I feel C25K program and working on the weight machines for the past couple months REALLY HELPED.
    Take a hotel bottle of shampoo to get the muck out of your hair at the "showers"--which are ususally fire hoses.
    Take old towels to cover the seats in your car
    Take a protein drink to chug after you're finished or some protein bars to snack on.
    Bring flipflops to wear once you ditch your shoes.
    Be prepared to crash and burn for a couple hours once you get home (especially if you're my age).

I don't know what my time was yet, I really wasn't it in to beat any land-speed records. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could finish.

So, for all you folks out in MFP-land, a formerly obese, 58-year-old, half-deaf, menopausal old lady completed a 5K Mud Run...what's your excuse for not signing up??
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Your story is amazing and you're such an inspirational lady. You look fabulous too, so happy and healthy, well done :drinker:
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your journey. You ARE a Goddess! :happy:
  • mizpoke
    mizpoke Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    :laugh: That looks like it was a lot of fun! Well done :flowerforyou:
    and yes, I am totally inspired now
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great job!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    amazing transformation :) and an amazing achievement with the mud run :) You look fantastic even all covered in mud lol
  • MissiejoFL
    MissiejoFL Posts: 1
    Options
    What an inspiration, I admire your drive and have enjoyed seeing the results of your race. Good job!!
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Woooo go you! That's an amazing transformation & what a great achievement! You rock :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational!! You rock!
  • npetercmway
    npetercmway Posts: 68
    Options
    I gotta say WOW! What an inspiration that age is no excuse for not getting into shape. I really needed this kick in the butt as I am feeling a little complacent about where I am in my journey!

Thank you so much for sharing your mud run and story. GREAT JOB!!
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You go girl!! :drinker: Well done! Congrats on the weight loss & the mud run! You are sooo cool! :happy: My goal is to do Tough Mudder, last summer my husband and my brother did Tough Mudder. They inspired me to shoot for it and you have just re-inspired me to push myself! Thank you! Like you said I want to prove to myself that I can do it, I can be strong! Stay strong awesome lady! :flowerforyou:
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Love it! You are inspiring.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I can score this under EPIC WIN! You are truly amazing. Congratulations on the weight loss AND completing the Mud Run! And thanks for the tips. I may try one of those things one day.
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You are my hero! Goddess Girl! The gauntlet has been laid down by 50ish post menopausal woman time for this 60 year old to step up and accept your challenge. The buff guy along side of you certainly is encouragement:love: You look fabulous! Thank you for inspiring me to believe there are no obstacles except those we put on ourselves. Love the story! Anticipating the next chapter. You Rock!:flowerforyou:
  • tam6van
    tam6van Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Well done! That looks like a blast! If ever one comes to our city....I'm in for sure. I've signed up for the Run or Dye but I'm thinking no obstacles are involved(just a lot of paint/dye I suspect.)
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great finish! The tips were good. Helps me put my 5K quests into perspective.

Anyone looking for runs of any kind, hit your favorite search engine and plug in foam, color or mud runs with your city name. You will see a few depending on your area. There are quite a few here in the Omaha area. All with great names. This sure puts a spine on having to beat the clock, instead finish and have fun!
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This 63 year old, hope to be goddess is working on the exercise part. I am in awe of your victory! :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I love this. I think you're wonderful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!