Low Carb Italian Style Flaxseed Flatbread Recipe (with Pics)

Options
djkprojects
djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
Hello,

Another bread recipe that I've found and thought I'd share.

934946_4742859338634_748168325_n.jpg

Ingredients:

- 2 cups (220g) Flaxseed Meal
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Splenda or any other sweetener
- 5 Beaten Whole Eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Extra Virgin Oil or any other suitable oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Water
- Dried Herbs de Provence and Rosemary or any other herbs (optional)

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C), spray the baking tray (13 x 9 inch should be big enough) with Pam or any other oil and lay a greaseproof paper on top.

2. Mix well all the dry ingredients

3. Add eggs, water, oil and herbs to the dry mixture and mix well

4. Let the batter sit for 2 minutes (it will thicken) and then spread evenly on the tray about 0.5inch thick (the bread will rise a bit once in the oven)

OPTIONAL: You can sprinkle the top with some herbs

5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes

6. Let it cool down

7. Cut into 12 even squares

8. Enjoy

Servings: 12 slices

Nutrition (1 slice):

Calories: 171
Protein: 6g
Fat: 15g
Carbs: 1g
Fiber: 5g
Sugar: 0g

This is by far the easiest and quickest low carb bread recipe I've tried so far but relatively most expensive in terms of ingredients ;)

it's very crispy when toasted.

Hope you like it :)

Replies

• MissChrissySunshine
    MissChrissySunshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious - thanks for sharing!
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on this parade but - a 1/4 cup of flax meal has 10 carbs. So - 40 carbs in a cup and 80 carbs in two cups.

So - if this divides into 12 pieces, doesn't that mean there are 6 carbs per piece, rather than 1?
  • peniculala
    peniculala Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you use a gluten free baking soda, this can be gluten free. Sounds great to me, thanks!
  • djkprojects
    Options
    Not to rain on this parade but - a 1/4 cup of flax meal has 10 carbs. So - 40 carbs in a cup and 80 carbs in two cups.

So - if this divides into 12 pieces, doesn't that mean there are 6 carbs per piece, rather than 1?

The flaxseed meal I'm using has 1g of carbs per 100g (so it says on the package) - Virginia Harvest Cold-Milled Flaxseed ;)
  • djkprojects
    Options
    If you use a gluten free baking soda, this can be gluten free. Sounds great to me, thanks!

Yes, I'm using Dr.Oetker Gluten Free version :)
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just looked at my package of Flax USA - Organic Golden Flax - Cold Milled (Costco) and it has 5g of Total Carbs per 2 Tbs (14g) per serving.

The bread looks good though! May have to give it a try!
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It looks and sounds delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe. I have been cutting carbs somewhat and avoiding bread (among other things) as a result. And the loaf of store-bought whole wheat sitting on my kitchen counter has 17 carbs per slice, so your version is still significantly lower no matter how you slice it. :-)
  • djkprojects
    Options
    Just looked at my package of Flax USA - Organic Golden Flax - Cold Milled (Costco) and it has 5g of Total Carbs per 2 Tbs (14g) per serving.

The bread looks good though! May have to give it a try!

Yes, one would think that because it's the same thing the nutrition would be not much different but that's not the case. Another low carb flaxseed is by Linswood. I'm in the UK by the way ;)
  • djkprojects
    Options
    It looks and sounds delicious. Thank you for posting the recipe. I have been cutting carbs somewhat and avoiding bread (among other things) as a result. And the loaf of store-bought whole wheat sitting on my kitchen counter has 17 carbs per slice, so your version is still significantly lower no matter how you slice it. :-)

Same here. The problem is that I've always loved bread and can't really stop eating it completely hence looking for substitutes ;) The only reasonable bread I could find that is available in stores and which is still high in carbs but only 56kcal per slice is Wheatgerm by Hovis which I eat ocassionally with peanut butter :P

EDIT: By the way, in a different post someone has mentioned that in the US carb values on products are gross and in the UK are net so that's perhaps another reason why all the differences. I'm not sure if that's the case but if so then you just need to take the amount of fibre of the amount of carbs to get the actual net value as that's what counts as "active" carbs.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Same here. The problem is that I've always loved bread and can't really stop eating it completely hence looking for substitutes ;) The only reasonable bread I could find that is available in stores and which is still high in carbs but only 56kcal per slice is Wheatgerm by Hovis which I eat ocassionally with peanut butter :P

EDIT: By the way, in a different post someone has mentioned that in the US carb values on products are gross and in the UK are net so that's perhaps another reason why all the differences. I'm not sure if that's the case but if so then you just need to take the amount of fibre of the amount of carbs to get the actual net value as that's what counts as "active" carbs.

The nutrition labels in the US list total carbs and then fiber, so we have to do the math ourselves. (lol)
    This looks like something I'll try. I'm always looking for ways to use my flax seed, and I love a good sandwich, too!
  • mom2boxerdogs
    mom2boxerdogs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious! I have made one similar to this but never have made it with herbs. I just copied this and making it tonight! WooHoo! I needed to get more fiber... this is the ticket.
  • mom2boxerdogs
    mom2boxerdogs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to come back and comment that I made this bread and I will make it again. I love it. I lost weight the week I was eating this, too. Thanks for sharing.
  • cmkile1003
    cmkile1003 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump