HELP! Is my diet ok???

Options
Hi, I'm completely new to this - but i have been obsessing and driving everyone around me insane with my constant rambles about calories and exercises.

However, i realise i am probably making some mistakes with my diet, since i really have no idea what is ok, and what isn't - it's so difficult to find straight answers online....so i was wondering if anyone with a little more experience, than my 4 days of intense researching and obsessing, could tell me if this is ok :::

Breakfast:
2 x whole scrambled eggs (fried)
2 x mini (cocktail) pork sausages (fried)
(i fry these two abovementioned in about 1 tsp of salted butter - I LOVE my butter, and my eggs...but i doubt this ok :cry: )

Snack 1:
1 x medium apple
1 x tbs greek yoghurt (plain)
+- 10 cashew nuts
1 x sprinkle cinnamon

Lunch - Salad - which consists of:
1 x cup lettuce (iceburg)
1 x carrot
5 x slices cucumber
4 x cherry tomatoes

Snack 2 - banana and peanut butter smoothie - which consists of:
1 x medium banana
1 x tbs peanut butter
1 x tsp vanilla essence
1 x tsp coconut oil
1 x tsp honey, liquid, raw

Dinner:
1 x minute steak (basically a really thin, fat trimmed, steak, palm sized)
OR
1 x chicken break, skinless
AND
1 x veg (broccoli, avo, cauliflower, OR just a raw carrot - i don't like cooked carrots, lol)

I'm aiming for a 1,800 calorie intake - as my research suggests i do, for weightloss.

I'd really appreciate some help/advice/comments/anything - as i (clearly) have no idea what i'm doing, lol.

On a side note: i intend (and have done for the past 4 days) on doing Zuzana Light's ZWOW exercises on a daily basis, followed by 2 minutes of skipping (ie: jump rope).
(for those of you who don't know her: her workouts (which are GREAT) can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuzkaLight )

I'll be awaiting for someone to respond with much anticipation.
THANK YOU in advance! :flowerforyou:

Regards,

Terry :smile:

Replies

• onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well the only thing I'd alter is you frying your breakfast, and maybe cooking it on the stovetop and adding some pepper instead of frying to make it flavorful? (Peppers speed up fat loss, or so I've heard because of the capsaicin in them). Other than that, I'd say you're doing pretty awesome! Keep up the great work. :smile:
  • chicagospeechie
    chicagospeechie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    2 comments:

lunch looks really light - what is that, 30 calories? I would need some kind of protein (lean meat or cheese) or fat (guac or olive oil/vinegar) to get through my day.

the smoothie sounds like dessert. fruit is sweet - you don't have to add oil, peanut butter, and more sugar (honey). I'd pick *one* of those things if you need more sweetener/flavor. this will free up calories and allow you to add more protein to your lunch.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Looks fine to me
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I think your diet looks good. There is nothing wrong with whole eggs or butter, they are wholefoods.

If I were to change anything I'd swap the cashew nuts for raw almonds and free up some calories to have a protein with your salad at lunch.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Does it add up to your calorie goal? If so, it looks fine. Don't obsess over what foods you're eating, just start with eating the foods you like and meeting your calorie goal. Make whatever changes you want to over time for nutritional reasons, but for weight loss, just start with the calorie goal. It doesn't have to be complicated!

(If you want to eat cashews, oil, smoothies, peanut butter, honey etc etc then eat them. These small details come down to personal preference.)
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all,not sure why it has been suggested to not fry you're food,frying in butter is not you're enemy as most will have you believe
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    This actually seems fine to me.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It looks like a good plan to me... with one exception.

I would add some source of protein to your lunch. Fish, chicken, almonds, tofu, soy nuts,and reduced fat cheese (especiallly feta) are all pretty good sources of protein.

Also, I don't think your diet has you getting enough calcium or iron which are both critical, especially for women of childbearing age. You may want to look into either supplementing to reach the RDA for those or incorporating more foods that contain these nutrients.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with eggs and butter?
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Well the only thing I'd alter is you frying your breakfast, and maybe cooking it on the stovetop and adding some pepper instead of frying to make it flavorful? (Peppers speed up fat loss, or so I've heard because of the capsaicin in them). Other than that, I'd say you're doing pretty awesome! Keep up the great work. :smile:

:noway: :grumble:
    the only way eating spicy peppers speeds up your metabolism is if you eat them and immediately go lift up heavy *kitten* *kitten* and put it down, repeatedly. sounds like a recipe for disaster.

i agree not enough protein and other filling foods for lunch.
    and what goodmorning said.
    Also, don't feel you have to break up your meals into 6 times a day.
    eat as often as you want . 2 x a day. 11 times a day.
    so long as you're getting enough protein, healthy fats, and staying within your
    calories, you're fine. it's that simple.

and then go pick up heavy things
    and put them down.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Looks good to me!

The only thing I would suggest is freeing up some calories to add some protein to your lunch. possibly from the banana in your smoothie or 1 of your sausages at breakfast.

You don't need to stop frying your eggs, it makes them delicious and I think that's well worth the extra 80 or so calories from the butter.
  • elhatha
    elhatha Posts: 1
    Options
    Not driving insane, just annoying. Simply fill out the darn food form and review the results=Done. Maybe you should join a support group...
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    That doesn't look anywhere near 1800 calories....have you actually entered this into MFP to check the calorie count?

Protein at lunch would be a good thing to add.

Nothing wrong with the butter, eggs and sausage. Just be sure to measure/weigh everything accurately and count the calories.
  • Annie83uk
    Annie83uk Posts: 128
    Options
    are you getting enough calories? i agree with the others that you need some protein for lunch i also think you should have more than one veg with your dinner, try other meals to so you don't get bored, otherwise looks good keep it up :smile:
  • Tinx_87
    Tinx_87 Posts: 18
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! :heart:
    (except for the comment from elhatha :frown: ...ouch!)

So i've decided to make a few changes, from what i've gathered from the comments.

1. I'm keeping the 1 teaspoon of butter :tongue:
    2. I'll cut out the honey and coconut oil from my smoothie - you're right - it doesn't need it.
    3. I'll add some form of protein to my salad (i'll chop and change from the various suggestions i've received from you guys...THANK YOU!).

I cannot thank you all enough! :flowerforyou:

Let's see how the next few weeks go - very excited! :happy:

Best regards!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    WebMD recommends at least 46g of protein a day for an adult woman ... I count 36 in your sample menu. If it were me, I'd add another serving of meat or another protein to lunch. I haven't totaled it up, but it seems you're pretty low on calcium, too ... you might want to eat the whole 8oz of yoghurt for snack one, and add a little artificial sweetener to add more calcium and protein.

And frying your eggs in butter isn't going to kill you or ruin your program. Life was meant to be enjoyed.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ok for weight loss? maybe.
    ok for health? if your definition of OK is for short term...maybe.

if you'd like to include long term health and vitality, than no. not OK. frying is one of the worst ways to prepare food, creating toxins that eventually cause cancer and heart disease. and iceberg lettuce has almost no nutritional value...sure it's OK, but you deserve better than just OK!

adding some dark green leafy vegetables would be a great first step.

and see the movie Forks over Knives.
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    2 x whole scrambled eggs (fried)
    2 x mini (cocktail) pork sausages (fried)
    (i fry these two abovementioned in about 1 tsp of salted butter - I LOVE my butter, and my eggs...but i doubt this ok :cry: )

Current research is showing that eating the whole egg is far better than just the egg whites. All the good stuff is in the yoke, and the idea that eggs increase cholesterol is becoming old fashion. As for butter, the same thing goes. Research is showing that saturated fats are just fine! Butter, especially, is a good source of saturated fats. Check around the forums and the internet for what many people have written about the topic of saturated fats and eggs. It is indeed a raging ongoing debate. You can tell what side I have landed on, but it's up to you to make up your own mind.

That being said, I love my eggs fried too, but butter is a very dense source of calories (lots of calories in a small amount). So, in order to not go crazy with calories, I use a cooking spray that's as low calorie as possible. You can even use a non-stick pan so that you barely even need any kind of oil.

Edit: BunnyBeeSweet...although it's called "frying," to be honest, you're really just sauteing the egg. I'm not sure that you get the negative toxic effects of frying that you would from, say, sticking food in tank of boiling oil till it's crispy. Maybe you do, I'm not sure.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'd swap out snack two for something else. Maybe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich sandwich or ice cream.

I'd really like to see some pop tart ice cream sandwiches and heavy lifting.

Breakfast sounds yummy! maybe more sausage and bacon.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think your diet looks good. There is nothing wrong with whole eggs or butter, they are wholefoods.

If I were to change anything I'd swap the cashew nuts for raw almonds and free up some calories to have a protein with your salad at lunch.

This is exactly what I'd suggest.