sweet potato recipes?

Options
anyone have any good sweet potato recipes? i have SO many sweet potatos right now and don't know what to do with them.. had the baked sweet potatos and sweet potato fries can't think of anything else, any ideas?

Replies

• hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you like tropical flavors, try dicing a sweet potato and sautéing it with a sliced onion in about 1T. coconut oil. Add a pound of diced chicken thighs. Saute until the chicken is browned, then add a diced whole papaya, a cup of coconut milk, a splash of rum, a few minced chiles, and a handful of chopped cilantro. Cook that for about 20 minutes, add S&P to taste, and serve it with steamed rice.

You can also make it into soup by adding chicken broth to the mix. Enjoy!
  • rosieruns
    rosieruns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oven-baked whole, and stuffed with crushed almonds, rosemary and a dollop of plain yoghurt. :)
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I cut mine into cubes, mix w/ a little bit of canola oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder & cinnamon; toss and roast in the oven until tender! Delish!!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Boil with an equal weight of carrots and a couple of cloves of crushed garlic. After boiling, add enough cumin to make it interesting, a small knob of butter and roughly mash the lot together. Seriously yummy.

ETA doing that this evening with ginger and lime chicken and a side of asparagus. My mouth is watering before I start!
  • Helliphant
    Helliphant Posts: 3
    Options
    I've had this recipe staring at me for a whie, but haven't gotten around to making it, yet. But, it looks tempting:

http://swisspaleo.ch/sweet-potato-cups-filled-with-chicken-curry/

Another recipe I have tried and absolutely love is oh so simple, but delicious: Sweet Potato Bruschetta:

http://swisspaleo.ch/marys-sweet-potato-bruschetta/

I personally leave out the vinaigrette and parmesan, and substitute black olives for green ones, but it's a good snack/light lunch.
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like sweet potato wedges. Cut them up, mix in a bowl with just enough oil to coat, add some salt+pepper and spices (I like paprika and coriander and a bit of garlic), and bake until crispy. Great substitute for processed oven chips. Or have some tzatziki as a dip.

Roast sweet potatoes also go well in a couscous salad.

Or try a sweet potato soup. Fry an onion in a bit of oil, add cubed sweet potatoes, sweat for a bit, then add some veg stock and simmer until cooked. Whizz through a mixer or with a wand, season to taste.

The options are endless really, you can do everything with them that you can do with regular spuds.
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato waffles and pancakes are a favorite in my family!!!
  • OhSayNow
    OhSayNow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Moroccan chickpea and sweet potato stew
    http://www.acouplecooks.com/2013/01/moroccan-chickpea-and-sweet-potato-stew/

I made this last night and it was fantastic...they also have quite a few other sweet potato recipes on the site.
  • jennief77
    jennief77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made a sweet potato burger recipe that I found on Pinterest...it was a really tasty alternative to a meat burger.
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sweet potato soup is really nice, and sweet potato curry with spinach (with or without chicken)

my favourite is to bake the potatoes in the oven then scoop out the filling, mix it with cheese, Quorn (or chicken), jalapenos etc. put all the mix back into the skins and put back in the oven for a bit to melt all the cheese. I have it with salad and coleslaw... beautiful!!

at the moment I'm making a pitta pizza and having sweet potato fries with it. I cover them in black pepper to make them kind of spicy! yum!

there's loads of recipes online :)
  • BalletBritt
    Options
    Sweet Potato chips!

Cut sweet potatos into thin slices
    Coat them in a little olive oil and spices of your choice
    Bake them at 250 degrees for about an hour

They go great with a little sour cream to dip them in!
  • Peanutbutterx
    Peanutbutterx Posts: 332
    Options
    Yum! these all sound really good thanks guys :-)
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I always bake them, just love them! Thank you all for the recipe ideas, I will be trying them out!:flowerforyou:
  • WhaddoWino
    WhaddoWino Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just last night I made a Lamb Tagine with Sweet Potatoes and Dates. It's super easy and delish!
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/8161/
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just mix them with normal potatos, put a bit of oil + condiments and put them in the oven
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've made this Spinach & Sweet Potato Curry recipe before and it's delish:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3715/spinach-and-sweet-potato-curry