Anyone else take the slow and steady approach?

Options
So yesterday I decided to change my way of doing things. I decided to take the slow and steady approach to weight loss. I keep finding myself going up and down, frustrated when I go over my calories and am tired of feeling deprived. I set my goal to 0.5 lbs per week. I want to focus and eating fresh unprocessed foods and work into an exercise routine rather than being focused on the scale. Has anyone hear lost a significant amount of weight going this route and how long did it take you?

Replies

• TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am and so far it's been working great (125 days in). Only 15 pounds away from my goal.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I find slow and steady works best. I'm doing the 5:2 diet and don't worry at all if I go over on "non-fast"days. I find I go a bit wild if I restrict too hard.
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    I didn't have a lot to lose, but followed the slow and steady plan. I lost almost 30 lbs and have now maintained my current weight for the past several months. If you are too drastic, you restrict your calories too much.....then you are not being healthy and probably grumpy as well, since you can't eat! Ha! Eat healthy food, get enough protein and veggies, and take it slow. It's not a race. Good luck!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    That's really what MFP is all about. Sensible...practical..no crash diets that ultimately don't work and make you miserable. Slow and long term sustainable is the way to go!
  • Abo1995
    Abo1995 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady is the way forward because it gives you realistic goals and calories for the day.
    I like to lose 1 pound a week or sometimes even less than that. People that lose weight really really quickly because they are depriving themselves of food usually put it back on when they start eating normally again. It's a lifestyle change and not a diet so what you are doing is something you need to do for the rest of your life. Slow and steady wins the race;).
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    yes. i have lost 14 lbs. not so big and significance but it is far better than what i was doing previously i made it to the point where working out wasnt fun anymore. and i was just crazy about the numbers rather than my health, right now i feel a lot better and i feel much healthier and now when i workout. i feel like its something i will love doing for a long time. it also helps me to put some challenges to help me keep moving. <3.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yup! It's taken me a year and a half to lose 30 pounds. But I'm focusing on changing my entire lifestyle rather than just my waistline.
  • Kifissia
    Kifissia Posts: 136
    Options
    That's what I'm doing. So much less pressure on myself and I'm feeling a difference.
  • sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!!

There's no rush, slow and steady gives you time to adjust and acclimatise yourself to your new way of life.

I've tried the quick approach before and always fail as I feel deprived.

You carry on with how your doing things if it's working or you :smile:
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I find people who run via crash diets, beyond practical food restrictions and other junk often gain their weight all back eventually and more.

Find a pace that works for you and that you can maintain without killing yourself and go with that. If you lose a pound a week or a pound a month, it's still progress.

To me the worst thing is changing your diet so that you need to waste your day thinking about food (I find this just makes things worse).
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I started out in October so slow and steady I didn't even know I was on a diet. I didn't have a scale I wasn't logging my food and I wasn't even committed to walking everyday. I lost approx 30 lbs. A guesstimate based on what size I was in clothing and what size I was able to wear by March and also a guesstimate on my daily calorie intake which wasn't too hard since I ate just about the same things most days. So anyway found this site now I am logging everyday since March something and walking everyday since April something. I don't plan on making anymore major changes anytime soon, so if I lose a pound or a pound and a half a week, I'm happy with that.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    It's a great way to do it. Some of the changes you make may be subtle but that' not a bad thing. It also becomes a way of life and if you keep making subtle changes, you will find that in time all the good stuff you put into your body will leave no room for the rubbish to go in!
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I decided to change my way of doing things. I decided to take the slow and steady approach to weight loss. I keep finding myself going up and down, frustrated when I go over my calories and am tired of feeling deprived. I set my goal to 0.5 lbs per week. I want to focus and eating fresh unprocessed foods and work into an exercise routine rather than being focused on the scale. Has anyone hear lost a significant amount of weight going this route and how long did it take you?

Slow and steady is great if you have the patience and the time to lose the weight with no pressing life issues or deadlines. I really do not want to be in weight loss mode for like 6 years. I would be 35 at the end of that. I want more kids and to be more involved with my family now. My husband wants me back. I want myself back. I have to lose weight as quickly as possible without crash dieting.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It has worked for me so far.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Yup! It's taken me a year and a half to lose 30 pounds. But I'm focusing on changing my entire lifestyle rather than just my waistline.

This.

Now I think I need to go to a library and whisper I love you in the fitness books isle.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 pounds since June with my info set at 1/2 a pound a week, and I'm a little more than halfway to my goal weight. I'll admit that sometimes I get a little mopey when I see how fast other people on this site have lost weight, but I know that this is the best method for me as I'm a lot happier when I don't feel deprived.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    yep, I usually weigh myself once a month and make walking (or any kind of exercise) a part of my everyday routine. I eat mostly unprocessed foods but I don't deprive myself I just eat whatever in moderations and keep an eye on my salt, sugar and other macro intake. Oh and I cut out ALL soda (only drink water) it has taken me a year and a half to lose 100 lbs. Good luck doll!