Is heavy cream a healthy source of fats?

Options
brainzap
brainzap Posts: 145 Member
I find it difficult to eat enough fat, so I will put cream on my strawberries. Is this a healthy source of fat, or should I consume something like coconut oil instead?

Replies

• icandoanything2
    icandoanything2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    avocados are my favorite healthy source of fats. nuts too!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    avocados are my favorite healthy source of fats. nuts too!

I second this!
  • EngineerPrincess
    EngineerPrincess Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you are and what your body needs. If you're a middle aged obese woman with cholesterol in her family history, it's a terrible fat. If you're you, an underweight young person (like me, I'm 5'8, 120 and 21) then cream is a very good food for you to eat. I don't mean you need to consume fat to gain fat , but you need a variety of fats to keep your hair and nails from going brittle (I know what I'm talking about here too...) and I'm personally a fan of the idea you would benefit more from a variety of fatty foods than what the media deems "healthy fats" like avocados and olive oil (those are awesome foods but you need other fats too, media weight loss articles on "healthy fats" are geared towards the obese.) Good luck and try and eat more. Losing weight on purpose when you're not fat screws up your health, even if you're naturally thin (I know this from experience too.)

edit: Just wanted to let people know as a chemical/bioengineer I understand the cis and trans/saturated and unsaturated fats and their affects on heart health,but I really do think the black and white binary of "consume these but never eat those" is an incorrect conclusion to draw from that fact.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    coconut oil has amazing properties and cooking with some coconut oil or you could use coconut cream.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, OP, you'll need to look at the amount of bad fats: saturated and trans fats... Good fats are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats..

You can get good fats from olive oil, avacados and avacado oil, nuts, flaxseed oil, fish etc...
    Cream is not a bad choice for getting your fats, but don't over do it.. Having cream with strawberries is fine though
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    if you need alittle fat boost to in moderation its not bad but too much can spell trouble. But like other said there are better fats that come with other health benefits than just meeting your fat goal. Its nothing to black list completely but when you are optimizing your daily intake avocados and coconut oil bring other properties to the table. Many a ice company's CEOs have died of heart related problems. So moderation of cream is a must.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    as long as a good part of your fats comes from "healthy" fat sources like fish, nuts, avocados and various oils its perfectly fine to fill the rest with "less healthy" sources like the milk-fat in cream or animal fats.

Saturated fats are in fact not as bad as their reputation. In moderation they can be beneficial to your hormone levels and organ-funktion.

Just aim for a balance.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Not sure about healthy, but I know it's delicious!

My theory is everything in moderation.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to eat enough fat, so I will put cream on my strawberries. Is this a healthy source of fat, or should I consume something like coconut oil instead?
    Yes the fats in cream are healthy, and if you choice organic, a fatty acid called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is much higher, which is a good thing. Just under half the fat is oleic acid, a monunsaturated fat, normally abundant in avocado and olives and it has very little polyunsaturated fat, which is what we want to see......the bonus is cream taste great over strawberries.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cream...healthy????seriously?
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Animal fats are not unhealthy.

If the cream comes from a grass fed cow and is organic what would make that any more unhealthy than olive oil or peanut butter?
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk every day, and eat cheese often. I believe the saturated fat is necessary and a good source energy. Like most compounds, excess fat is not good. I understand why trans and modified fats are considered unhealthy, but not naturally occurring saturated fat from meat and milk.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

agreed...IMO milk is not healthy anyways. :laugh: :tongue:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk every day, and eat cheese often. I believe the saturated fat is necessary and a good source energy. Like most compounds, excess fat is not good. I understand why trans and modified fats are considered unhealthy, but not naturally occurring saturated fat from meat and milk.

This!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

agreed...IMO milk is not healthy anyways. :laugh: :tongue:

Milk is not cream, though. Cream is just the fat in milk. Animal fats are not unhealthy. OP, I've lost 12 pounds so far using things like heavy cream and butter - in general, a high fat diet. I'm not necessarily recommending you try this approach, but if you need a fat boost, cream is a great source.
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options

My largest macro is fat and the majority of it is sat fat. It really boils down to what you believe. I don't believe for a second sat fat is bad my grandparents ate loads of it and my grandmother lived to her 90's. It really is about your personal views on dietary fat.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I've heard from some people that full fat dairy has some benefits but honestly I am skeptical of that claim. Cream has so many calories and saturated fat - I made a vintage macaroni and cheese recipe using full fat cream and it had 800 calories per serving. Most people tell me that it's a good idea to restrict saturated fat.

All dairy is definitely a step up from hydrogenated oils, though.

For healthy fats I would recommend nuts, fish, flax seed, hemp seed, avocados, and extra virgin olive oil. I follow a lot of Dean Ornish 's views on fat so I don't cook with it. I find that it's easier to maintain a diet when the food is not as calorie dense, and fat adds quite a few calories per ounce. Fat important for nutrients to be absorbed though, so add a little. But if I have a choice between 4 ounces of sweet potato pie and two teaspoons of oil I'm definitely going with the pie !

P.S. Low fat and fat free dairy is generally good for you!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I drink 1/4 c of heavy cream almost every day. I'm also a huge fan of butter, bacon and cheese. My lipid panel had improved tremendously, as has my weight
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I've heard from some people that full fat dairy has some benefits but honestly I am skeptical of that claim. Cream has so many calories and saturated fat - I made a vintage macaroni and cheese recipe using full fat cream and it had 800 calories per serving. Most people tell me that it's a good idea to restrict saturated fat.

All dairy is definitely a step up from hydrogenated oils, though.

For healthy fats I would recommend nuts, fish, flax seed, hemp seed, avocados, and extra virgin olive oil. I follow a lot of Dean Ornish 's views on fat so I don't cook with it. I find that it's easier to maintain a diet when the food is not as calorie dense, and fat adds quite a few calories per ounce. Fat important for nutrients to be absorbed though, so add a little. But if I have a choice between 4 ounces of sweet potato pie and two teaspoons of oil I'm definitely going with the pie !

P.S. Low fat and fat free dairy is generally good for you!
    there is nothing wrong with fully hydrogenated oils
    its partially which is the problem(trans fat)

there is a difference.
    there is also nothing wrong with saturated fat.
    If anything saturated fat can be bad for those that are not physically active and eating more than body requirements.
    Then again everything is bad on a hypercaloric diet.

Should look up french paradox for those who still think saturated fat is bad
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    "I drink 1/4 c of heavy cream almost every day. I'm also a huge fan of butter, bacon and cheese. My lipid panel had improved tremendously, as has my weight "

Ditto - I eat loads of butter, bacon, cream, cheese along with veggies which I cover in butter or cream if I make creamed leeks. I eat red meat almost ever day too and have lost over 100 pounds and my blood work and general health is better at 47 than it has been since my 20's.

"Should look up french paradox for those who still think saturated fat is bad"

True - the science is now showing that there really is nothing to worry about by consuming sat fat. The whole sat fat is bad for you, that began the dogma we all believe in came about from a single chart that omitted the true results 'made up' by Ancel Keys. There are now more paradoxes than the French one coming to light too.