Side stitches / shoulder pain

Options
I have a terrible time with getting side stitches and shoulder pain/cramps. The side stitches I can usually get to go away with a walk break here and there, but those darn shoulder pains have become a deal breaker here lately. It seems it starts coming on around mile 8-9 and then will last the duration. it stinks! I try to push through it and it will come and go in waves, but I can never get it to go completely away. Yesterday, during a 14 mile run, i had that shoulder pain for the last 5 miles of the run. At mile 11.5, it was excruciating. Makes it hard to take a deep breath and just feels like someone is stabbing me in the shoulder.

Any suggestions on how to avoid this and/or make it go away?? I'm so tired of being plagued by these...I'm sure my running partner isn't too thrilled about it either!

Replies

• hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should go to a doctor!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    The side sticthing was just in an article in Runners World magazine, the September issue. If you can
    find it, the remedy is on page 78. Basically, the cause is a breathing issue and your liver. What you're
    doing now (taking a break by walking) is good.

The other recommendation is to exhale as your left foot hits the ground which causes your diaphragm
    to rise.

Do both pains happen at the same time? If so, maybe if you solve the side stich, that will also solve
    the shoulder pain.

The only other thing I can think of for the shoulder pain would be your form, in either your legs or how
    you're moving your arms. When I first started running, I had to try a few different positions on how I
    moved my arms so they were comfortable.

Doug
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I get a pain in my shoulder, which is very similar to a stitch when my stomach plays up (I have IBS) and I also sometimes get it when running if what I've eaten doesn't agree with me.

My osteopath tells me that it could be the vagus nerve causing me trouble. It is to do with digestion and the pain refers up to your shoulder - so the same thing that could be causing your stitch could be causing the shoulder pain if it is food/digestion related. I did have a bunch of articles about it, which I'll try and find for you.

Good luck,

Erika x
  • twingirls05
    Options
    I get a pain in my shoulder, which is very similar to a stitch when my stomach plays up (I have IBS) and I also sometimes get it when running if what I've eaten doesn't agree with me.

My osteopath tells me that it could be the vagus nerve causing me trouble. It is to do with digestion and the pain refers up to your shoulder - so the same thing that could be causing your stitch could be causing the shoulder pain if it is food/digestion related. I did have a bunch of articles about it, which I'll try and find for you.

Good luck,

Erika x

If you could find some more information, I would be very curious to read more. Ususally the stitch and the shoulder pain go back and forth. If I have them both at th esame time, it's not very long amount of time. Usually I'll get it in the side, then the shoulder, back to the side, etc. It's ALWAYS the right side for the shoulder pain. It reminds me of when I had my gall bladder surgery and the "gas" they fill you up with it trying to "escape" the body and causes pain in the shoulder.
  • erikazj
    Options
    I'll try to find the info for you, I think it might be on my old computer. The description you give about the gas that is trapped after gall bladder surgery reminds me of an article that described a very similar thing after lap band surgery. At first the gas is putting pressure on the vagus nerve, and then the band itself. I recall reading that digestive problems can also irritate the vagus nerve causing a similar pain. I've always referred to it as a stitch in my shoulder, and I can get it when bloated (due to the IBS), but also when running after the wrong/too much food. The pain is always in my right shoulder in the front and can make it difficult to stand up straight.

If you've had gall bladder surgery it sounds like you've had some digestion issues? It might be all linked...

All the best,

Erika x
  • owno9700
    owno9700 Posts: 24
    Options
    There is a simple remedy for this!! I had the same problem a few years ago and a Physician friend (and fellow runner) advised me to change my breathing pattern. For example, if I am inhaling when my right foot strikes the ground, change my pattern so that I inhale when my left foot strikes the ground...............sounds silly and simple but it was right on target! As for the shoulder pain, this is most likely caused from one an air being trapped under your diaphragm, which can cause shoulder pain. This can be related to your gait pattern as well and switching up your pattern may assist with getting rid of it; the other option is to do a forced exhale (this may take several repeats). The other thing that may cause the shoulder pain is reflux.....what do you drink when running long distances? Sometimes drinks like Gatorade or PowerAde can cause reflux/indigestion which can cause referred shoulder pain.
  • twingirls05
    Options
    There is a simple remedy for this!! I had the same problem a few years ago and a Physician friend (and fellow runner) advised me to change my breathing pattern. For example, if I am inhaling when my right foot strikes the ground, change my pattern so that I inhale when my left foot strikes the ground...............sounds silly and simple but it was right on target! As for the shoulder pain, this is most likely caused from one an air being trapped under your diaphragm, which can cause shoulder pain. This can be related to your gait pattern as well and switching up your pattern may assist with getting rid of it; the other option is to do a forced exhale (this may take several repeats). The other thing that may cause the shoulder pain is reflux.....what do you drink when running long distances? Sometimes drinks like Gatorade or PowerAde can cause reflux/indigestion which can cause referred shoulder pain.

I have been drinking Nuun (hydration tabs) and haven't had an issue. I did take G2 with me on this last run (b/c I got a new flavor and wanted to try it out...lol) and got the pain. I typically do'nt like G2 on my runs b/c it causes me to burp it up constantly. I only drank 8 oz of G2 on that run (b/c when I stopped to use the restroom, I filled that bottle up with water and drank that).

Thanks for the all the input. Sounds like it could be a lot of different things. I do think it could be related to my breathing. I run those long runs with a friend and we chat a lot and I know that tends to throw things off for me.
  • erikazj
    Options
    I don't get on with Gatorade, definitely causes me problems, but I have found Nuun to be ok. My osteopath did say that irritation to the vagus nerve could be caused by a tight upper body, so that could be gait/breathing related. Gas definitely causes me problems!

Good luck working it all out. It might be worth keeping notes in your food diary about how you feel so you can track whether there are any patterns with food, or tiredness etc.

Erika
  • santasbaby84
    Options
    I know I am replying to this late, but I wondered if you ever got a diagnosis for your shoulder pain and the stitch in your side. I've had a similar pain before, and it sounds similar to pleurisy. It sounds like it's lung related in the least.:smile:
  • N531044
    Options
    I have a similar problem and found this article while researching....I run in the afternoon after work and always blamed it on this. If I push myself for a faster pace 5.00 - 5.20's ( min per km I'm Canadian )

Running stitch: the facts and fiction behind this common sports injury

What have 70% of regular runners suffered from within the past year? Blisters... no, shin splints... no. Well I'll put you out of your misery - stitches. Stitches are a pain in the... well you know what I mean, and they are not confined to the running fraternity; in fact, just about anyone taking part in a sporting activity, be it swimming, team sports, aerobics or even just running for an occasional bus will have experienced a stitch at some point. There are many theories and quite a few old wives' tales about stitches, but now a couple of exercise physiologists based in New South Wales, Australia, have put together a list of the top 10 facts and fallacies.
    1. A stitch occurs in both fit and unfit people, and research suggests it is unrelated to training frequency, training volume or performance level.

2. A stitch is most prevalent among younger athletes, but older athletes can still suffer.

3. Yes you can get a stitch in the shoulder! It appears that when the diaphragm and neighbouring tissues become irritated they can refer pain to the tip of the shoulder.

4. Studies have shown that you are more likely to suffer from a stitch if you eat before a run. Drinking before a run can also be a contributing factor, but less so than eating a meal. Obviously you need to eat and drink before exercise to ensure an adequate energy supply, but research and anecdotal evidence suggests you should avoid the following:

carbonated drinks and those with a high concentration of sugar and salt;
    fatty foods;
    apples, bananas and chocolate.

5. The risk of a stitch may be increased by exercising at high intensity, failing to warm up and working out in cold conditions. Best not go for a really hard run on a cold day without warming up then!

6. The theory that stitch is caused by lack of blood flow to the diaphragm doesn't hold up for three main reasons:

it does not account for why pain occurs low in the abdomen;
    it does not explain why stitches occur during activities that do not seem to require high levels of respiratory activity (eg horse riding);
    it is not consistent with the evidence that neither lung function nor breathing is affected by a stitch.
    7. One of the most widely-accepted theories that stitches are caused by stress on the ligaments that attach the abdominal organs to the diaphragm during jolting activities like running may also be false. If it were true, why would swimmers - whose sport is relatively free from jolting movements - experience stitches?

8. The tissue that may be responsible for the pain is the parietal peritoneum, which envelops the abdominal cavity, separating the abdominal organs from the stomach muscles. This piece of tissue is sensitive to movement when irritated, which would explain why rest quickly relieves the pain. Additionally, part of the parietal peritoneum extends up and under the diaphragm, giving rise to the referred shoulder pain when irritated. What could cause this tissue to become irritated? One obvious answer is that if you fill your stomach with food and drink it's going to get bigger, causing it to push against - and so irritate - the parietal peritoneum.

9. Some breathing techniques may help to alleviate the problem. These include:

taking deeps breaths;
    grunting as you exhale;
    holding your breath;
    breathing by bloating your abdomen in and out (belly breathing).
    10. Most sufferers experience a stitch in the same place each time, and the pain is commonly described as sharp or stabbing when severe, and cramping, aching or pulling when less severe.

Sports Coach, vol 24, no 3, 29-30

Nick Grantham