looking for people who eat 30+ g fiber/day

Options

Replies

• vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Go for it, my diary is public, doctor said no less than 30, I usually hit it.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My diary says I only need 22 g of fiber a day and I always meet that. I keep hearing about Quest bars, which ones do you get, seems like they have 2 lines of bars?
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 30 to 40 grams of fiber a day- I accomplish eat by eating whole minimally or not at all processed foods. Fruits, Veggies, Nuts, Chai Seeds, Greek Yogurt, Lentils, Beans, 100% Whole grain sprouted bread and pastas, Mariani natural honey bars (lots of different ones to chose from) when you eat whole clean foods you don't ever have a problem getting what your body needs
  • AshatanViz
    AshatanViz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i regularly eat 40 or more. mountains of apples, oranges, lentils, and vegetables do the trick. i also love eating those foods.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest challenges for me is figuring out how to get more fiber in my meals. I already eat whole grain everything and tons of fruits and veg, and there are only so many servings of beans I can take in a day. I'd love to get some ideas and inspiration by being able to look at the diaries of some people who regularly consume at least 30 grams of fiber a day. Is there anyone out there willing to let me take a peek? :flowerforyou:

I'm at 41g and haven't had dinner yet. Mine came from lots of broccoli, some strawberries, unsalted, roasted pumpkin seeds, baby spinach.

It's not difficult to eat more fiber. I stay away from bars because they have too much sugar. Eat more fruits and vegetables and you should be fine. Or add some All Bran. I don't eat cereal but I believe All Bran has lots of fiber.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I average around 35-40g/day.

Lots of frozen berries, fruit, vegetables, popcorn.....
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! I will definitely check out those Quest bars and look at the diaries that were offered up. I had no idea that avocados, chia seeds, and oats were good sources of fiber...excellent! And in answer to the question about how I was missing the mark, I never meant to imply that I was eating mostly fruits/veg/beans/whole grains...I was trying to say that I already eat a lot of those foods. I also have a pretty high protein intake. I'm also doing this for cholesterol reasons, and I'm very appreciative of the help.

If you are doing it for cholesterol reasons (me too), you need to make sure that a lot of that fiber is soluble. This is why I stick to things like psyllium husks, chia seeds and Benefiber for a large chunk of my fiber. Oats are also another good source of soluble fiber.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to fiber, so I checked today's diary and I'm at 35 so far. I you add me, you can look at my diary and see if there's anything in it that can help you.
  • thistimewillbedifferent
    thistimewillbedifferent Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I had completely forgotten about popcorn. Will have to read more about the soluble fiber issue -- have to admit I had never heard that distinction. Have been slammed both during and after working hours, so during the wkend when I have more free time I'll add those of you who offered and go through some diaries. I feel much more optimistic now that I can make this happen!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    try steel cut oats
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm always above 30, usually closer to 40, sometimes in the 50's! Lots of veggies and fruits and try adding whole grains - not brown rice and bread but things like barley and bulgar and farro - they really pack it in! Don't jip yourself with those prefab bars if you don't have to. Try for the all natural things!
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to 40, mostly to help a family member who was dealing with chronic constipation. I needed to learn the good fiber foods in order to up our household fiber intake. I don't always make it to 40, but I can usually hit close. I think today was an exceptionally fibrous day. lol I have an open diary, so feel free to look through.

I remember the frozen raspberries from Trader Joes have some crazy fiber. Fiber One products are great too, if you are OK w/more highly processed foods.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    you should be able to get your fiber without beans. Sometimes when you log certain veggies they don't have the information accurate. For instance they might not add the fiber to the item here on my fitness pal.

That said, I usually have 2 servings of oatmeal, 2 servings of veggies, and maybe a peice of fruit every day. Hitting the 30 mark just seems to happen without trying. Sometimes as high as 50.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    One of the biggest challenges for me is figuring out how to get more fiber in my meals. I already eat whole grain everything and tons of fruits and veg, and there are only so many servings of beans I can take in a day. I'd love to get some ideas and inspiration by being able to look at the diaries of some people who regularly consume at least 30 grams of fiber a day. Is there anyone out there willing to let me take a peek? :flowerforyou:
    Berries.

I have a fruit smoothie every night that's 16 grams of fiber:

1 cup blueberries
    1/2 cup each blackberries and raspberries
    1 banana
    1 T PB & Co. Dark Chocolate Dreams
    Ice
  • raybeast
    raybeast Posts: 2
    Options
    I usually get 40 grams or more a day easily. You should get Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread. Each slice contains less than 1 gram of sugar and 5 grams per slice. I also found a wrap at Wal-Mart (Flatout Flatbread Light Original) that contains 9 grams of fiber per wrap with NO sugar.

Also, you should take a fiber supplement with each meal if you don't have a high fiber food with each meal. I usually mix a sugar free fiber powder in any water or drink I have.

1 to 2 ounces of peanuts a day are a definite help. Try to keep the sugar as low as possible. Spikes in blood sugar makes your body more inclined to store fat instead of burn fat.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I'm always above 30, usually closer to 40, sometimes in the 50's! Lots of veggies and fruits and try adding whole grains - not brown rice and bread but things like barley and bulgar and farro - they really pack it in! Don't jip yourself with those prefab bars if you don't have to. Try for the all natural things!

love barley great for breakfast or soup

i don't eat as much fiber as I used to. my focus is on protein.
    but i spent years learning about it, and getting enough was my main focus,
    so i could answer lots of questions regarding fiber.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    I usually get 40 grams or more a day easily. You should get Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat Bread. Each slice contains less than 1 gram of sugar and 5 grams per slice. I also found a wrap at Wal-Mart (Flatout Flatbread Light Original) that contains 9 grams of fiber per wrap with NO sugar.

Also, you should take a fiber supplement with each meal if you don't have a high fiber food with each meal. I usually mix a sugar free fiber powder in any water or drink I have.

1 to 2 ounces of peanuts a day are a definite help. Try to keep the sugar as low as possible. Spikes in blood sugar makes your body more inclined to store fat instead of burn fat.
    ''

none of this is necessary and the extra fiber breads are always super expensive.
    rolled oats are cheaper and cook in just a few mins.
    many other cheap sources of fiber from real food.
    too much fiber from something that isn't food, will give you bad side effects.
    not to mention kill your wallet.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    made it to over 50 the other day, it's really not that hard if you're eating a diet full of vegetables and healthy grains. The protein bars I use are also very fiber heavy.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to take a look at my diary--I usually hit around 40g without any bars, supplements, added fiber foods, etc. Personally I have found that going much over 50g creates some issues the next day, even though I also drink a ton of water, so I try to stick in the 35-45 range.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I always get a minimum of 28 grams. It's very easy with lots of fruits, veggies, and legumes. I don't have tons of grains, but they are also decent sources (but usually high calories). I sort of wonder about getting your fiber non-natural sources. The main reason for fiber is heart health, not just digestive health. Does it work just as well when taken as a supplement? Who knows?

Regardless, if you make the effort get all your fiber from natural sources while also managing your macros, then you're most likely going to be eating an healthy overall diet. Veggies and fruits have lots of other health benefits in addition to the fiber! If you supplement your diet and eat junk you'll probably do fine in the short term . . . but you could be doing yourself a disservice in the long run.