Your best substitution scores

Options
Adirafox
Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
The other day I made a salad with dinner. I added some blue cheese, and kind of wanted olives, but decided not to add them, since I already had the extra calories from the cheese.

The next day I made another salad and added some chopped pepperoncini peppers to my salad, and jackpot! I had that same tangy flavor the olives (green or kalamata, not the yucky canned kind) would have given, for virtually no calories!

What have been your sweetest substitution scores?

Replies

• autniccole
    autniccole Posts: 36
    Options
    Spaghetti squash for spaghetti noodles. While the taste/texture isn't exactly the same, it is a great substitute and just as filling - and only like, 45 calories/cup compared to 210 calories/cup.

And of course, applesauce in place of oil for baking.
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've really GOT to try the spaghetti squash. I'm not a huge pasta fan to begin with, but I think I am afraid my family would revolt.....especially my 8 year old, who ADORES spaghetti.
  • autniccole
    autniccole Posts: 36
    Options
    My daughter tried like two bites and said it was gross (she's 8, too) but she is the PICKIEST eater and pretty much eats NOTHING I make. So, I wasn't shocked. The spaghetti squash doesn't really have very much flavor, so it just kind of absorbs the sauce you use. The texture is different than pasta for sure, but it's not bad. I'm a picky eater (especially when it comes to texture) and I loved it.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I substitute plain greek yogurt in almost any recipe that calls for sour cream or cream cheese. I also use it to make homemade mac n cheese creamy without adding a ton of cheese so it keeps it healthier and low calorie. Im also becoming obsessed with zucchini and have been making loaded zucchini boats in place of loaded potatoes. They are so delicious!
  • apothecarist
    apothecarist Posts: 193
    Options
    Non fat plain yogurt for mayo (also low fat sour cream works great)
    Shiratake noodles for regular pasta
    Almond milk for skim milk
    Stacy's pita chips for croutons. I only use 1/2 a serving and crumble them on top of salads.

I know there's more but these are some I can remember right now...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt for sour cream and/or mayo. I like spaghetti squash but if I want pasta it just wouldn't do, lol. Honestly I haven't substituted much. I just eat smaller/lighter versions of the same thing. I switched to whole grain versions of everything 3 years ago already.