Tracking everything, exercising...no weight loss?

Options
What. The. Heck. I have been working out every day, monitoring my heart rate, watching what I eat like a HAWK...and nada. I lost 6 pounds, then stopped. I changed up my routine, switched up my diet a bit...and still...nada. I can feel a difference in my arms and leg muscles and don't get as winded when I run anymore, so I know physically I am improving...but there is NO possible way I have gained like, 5 pounds in muscle in just one month. So, what could possibly be going on? The first two months were rather steady (and I even worked out LESS then, and ate worse!) with an average weight loss of 3/4ths pound per week. I have not budged more than two ounces since the beginning of the month.

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    how many calories are you eating?
  • nonellabella
    Options
    It depends on how much I exercise on any given day. I don't go over 1,700 even on my most active days, but usually stick around the 1,400-1,500 zone.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Open your diary. It is the only way those of us that are successful can answer your questions correctly.
  • nonellabella
    Options
    How do I do that? (open diary)
    Edi: NVM. Figured it out :) And I should note, I have lost inches but never officially measured them. My clothes are looser now (i.e...fitting properly).
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I'm in the same boat. Not under or over eating, eating healthy food, exercising 6 days a week, both cardio and strength, no scale movement, few inches lost and clothes not any roomier after a month of hardcore work.

I lost 5 water weight pounds a few weeks ago and then, nada. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing for the time being. Patience and consistency are my friends. Good luck!
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I also recommend opening your diary.
    Have you been measuring your waist/hips/neck/arms/legs? It's not unusual for someone to not lose much in the pound-department but to lose inches well.

Also, it is possible that you simply hit the size that your body is meant to/wants to be.
  • nonellabella
    Options
    Not too sure about that...I used to play soccer and wrestle, and even at my most fit where I only had 15% body fat, I weighed 145 pounds. That was senior year in high school though, its been a while. After my second was born I got back into working out for a while and went down to 150, so I think the 150-155 range would be my "ideal" at my age. Im 5'8" with a large frame, and pear shape, so I have always been "dense"...but 164 is just not quite what I consider my "best".
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are not logging consistently. First of all, you need to log your food consistently for at least a month to monitor your food intake. Also I would up your protein intake and lower your carbs and sodium. That much sodium can make you hold on to a lot of water.

Just my opinion!
  • xshannonxmariex
    Options
    I've had friends run into issues like this.. what you should keep in mind is muscle weighs more than fat.. you can indeed lose inches around your body (from fat) and not see a change on the scale because you've gained muscle. If you are seeing a difference in your appearance but not on the scale don't get too discouraged... this could be part of the reason.
  • nonellabella
    Options
    "Looks like you are not logging consistently. First of all, you need to log your food consistently for at least a month to monitor your food intake. Also I would up your protein intake and lower your carbs and sodium. That much sodium can make you hold on to a lot of water."

You're right, I DO need to log in more consistantly, but even on the days when my phone is acting up, I am very careful of what I eat. Water weight might be the issue, I hadn't been paying attention to sodium.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food? I recommend getting a food scale if you don't already have one.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I recommend researching eating clean. It has led to my success. I had a plateau for 8 months, I was losing inches but the scale would not budge.

I got rid of processed foods, sugar and wheat and the weight started to melt off.

If you want results give it a try for at least a month and see what happens.
  • nonellabella
    Options
    Figured out the problem :) It was my scale. I appearantly have a setting that allows me to record a weight so I can compare it to my "current" weight. I wasn't clearing it before stepping on.
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yay! That must be a relief. :smile:
  • nonellabella
    Options
    Totally was :)
  • mountaingirl1961
    mountaingirl1961 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Figured out the problem :) It was my scale. I appearantly have a setting that allows me to record a weight so I can compare it to my "current" weight. I wasn't clearing it before stepping on.

Wish that were MY problem...