How do you get the energy/motivation to exercise?

Options
Hello! I'm 5'8" & 207.2lbs as of last week. I want to really go hard and start working out a lot. But, I can't find the energy & pure motivation to do it! I mean, I WANT to. I really do. But, I sit here and look at my weights and just sigh...I stand up walk over to them, look at them, then go back and sit down. I don't know what my issue is. I want to, I hate the way I look, I really want to get back into shape! Where do you get your energy & pure motivation? I need some help figuring this out. I really do.

Replies

• MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

Here is what I watch sometimes when I don't have the motivation.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u say i want new clothes................in smaller s izes...............................
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I get naked and stand in front of the mirror - no joke. I look at everything that I hate, and I become motivated.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You have to find something you will enjoy. Blast some fun music. Once you start the endorphins will start to flow and it will get easier.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you dont need to be motivated if you are committed to your goals.

make goals and make a decision to do something daily that will help those goals come to fruition.

if you're starting out then fake it until you make it. force yourself to do something everyday 45-60 minutes a day until it because habit.
  • buttercup68110
    buttercup68110 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree I find workouts I like. I love doing kickboxing even if its just doing kickboxing dvds at home. I also think about my family and how I want to get into shape for my kids. To be able to play with them longer. My biggest motivation is myself. I have never been skinny and I am determined to get down to my goal weight. I keep alot of pictures around of me at my heaviest. Once I look at those I immediately start working out. You just need to find what works for you. You can do this.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Create a realistic and detailed plan.
    It's not about "I should work out today" and looking at some free weights while a TV show is playing.
    You make a time to work out. You know what you're going to do before you work out. Then you do it.
    Music can help get the mind and body fired up, while avoiding a visual distraction.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Inertia. A body in motion tends to stay in motion; a body at rest tends to stay at rest.

The hardest part is starting. Here's a trick I use to get started: Set a very small, very easy goal. Ok, I don't feel like going miles and miles on the treadmill, I'll just walk one lap... Well, that felt pretty good, I think I'll just do another... Hmm, I think I'll jog the next lap... Bump up the speed for the next minute... Finish off this lap and then I can walk to cool down... And so on. After that very first lap, if I really want to stop, I will stop. But once you get started, it's easier to keep going.

With the weights, you might commit to just one move. One or two sets of squats, and then you can quit. After the one or two sets, do one more if you feel like it. After that, do your presses or rows or push-ups or whatever. But keep your promise to yourself that you can stop when you want to stop, as long as you meet that first (or that next) goal.

After a while, you'll probably find yourself meeting more and more "next goals." Because, inertia.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A healthy dose of masochism helps.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

Here is what I watch sometimes when I don't have the motivation.

That one is a keeper!

I just do it. I picked something that I love to do and I don't skip a day.

I stopped being a fat, whiny, crybaby. That's what I was.

Now I rock it. Read my last blog post.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    just having the want to lose weights is motivating ... the energy, i take a caffeine pill lol
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I've been there before. Sometimes it's hard to feel motivated, and I think it helps to start slowly because sometimes doing too much too soon can make you feel discouraged. I started walking and I gradually increased the distance. I also started doing a few minutes of some DVDs (even 5 or 10 minutes) and then eventually I worked my way up to doing the whole workout.

Also, I think it's important to find workouts that you actually like doing. I found out that I really like Turbo Jam, and I actually enjoy doing it. You should find workouts that you actually like because the workouts will go by faster that way.

I've also found that it's better to just do my workouts in the morning before my day gets busy, and so I have no excuses for not working out. Finally, I think when you start noticing results, have more energy and more calories to eat, that helps a lot with motivation too.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    When I wake in the morning cranky..which is every day, because Im single...
    It reminds me that I want to meet someone, and be in the best shape of my life, for my next romp.
    Also, My abs..they are all the motivation I need
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You have to find something you will enjoy. Blast some fun music. Once you start the endorphins will start to flow and it will get easier.

This! Hated it when I first started and now I hate when I miss it!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    zombies run! used to keep me running, but im struggling with that right now. I need to get back on it, I prefer surfing but the weather has been to wild for good surf.

I don't like feeling like its a chore. I used to really feel like going for a run.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I might not always like it when I'm doing it, or I don't feel like getting started, but I love the feeling I get when I'm finished! I just tell myself, no matter what, just keep moving, and something is better than nothing. I usually finish my workout and feel good about myself afterwards, because I accomplished something:)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You just have to want it more than chilling on the couch. You may not be there yet, and that's ok. Everybody needs their "Aha" moment.

Side note, if you are eating better foods, that will help your energy levels exponentially. For me, huge heavy breakfasts weigh me down and just starts my days off wrong. Find what works for you best and utilize that to maximize you energy and workout performance.
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options
    Pick a time of day that works well for you. For me it is first thing in the morning; if I don't it doesn't happen. I didn't exercise for years because I kept thinking I would do in the evening when I got home. It never and will never happen. But I can get right out of bed and work out.

Find something you enjoy. If you are like me there will still be days you have to force yourself and just fake it when you don't feel it.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's non-negotiable for me. I work out after my morning shift at work and there are some days I just don't feel like it. But there are some days I just don't feel like brushing my teeth or going to work. But I do it anyway. What I do is chase that great feeling I have after a good workout.

Also, a few times I've made a deal with myself that I would give myself 10 minutes, and if I didn't feel like working out after being 10 minutes in, I could stop. I've never stopped after that 10 minutes lol
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    I take a picture of myself in the mirror. sometimes just looking in the mirror doesn't work because I may see myself smaller or bigger then I am.

(today was smaller day: I felt great and the mirror said ok... then I took a pic of myself and had to ask my friend if I had an odd angle... I was a crusher when they said no. I did my work out and am having a yummy healthy dinner)