Losing weight so young

Options
So alot of people on this site have been really thin in high school/college and then age made them gain weight. What about those of us who are heavier from the start of puberty? Are we doomed to fatness for life?

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    No.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    There are many on here who have been heavy their whole lives. And the are doing well! One day at a time. You can do it!
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    HECK NO HONEY!! I was the fat girl all throughout jr. high and high school. My mom's a health freak and couldnt understand my weight problem, i'm talking size 13 jeans in 8th grade. Finally, I was tired of being known as the fat girl and started working out. I started out slow but within a few months I was able to run 6 miles no problem!! Being chubby during adolescence teaches you something those skinny adolescent girls who can eat anything and not gain a pound something they never have learned to do = watch what you eat and eat well. I'm 28 now and can tell you from experience that all of those skinny girls are now fat because theyre lazy and never had to work out thus, dont. Just work out and change your eating habits and you will lose the weight. If you have any questions feel free to message me =) Take care
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    So alot of people on this site have been really thin in high school/college and then age made them gain weight. What about those of us who are heavier from the start of puberty? Are we doomed to fatness for life?
    Doomed no. Higher risk to be an overweight adult, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

I was chubby growing up, but now I'm a beast. It's kind of fun having the reverse experience.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

I was chubby growing up, but now I'm a beast. It's kind of fun having the reverse experience.

^ this :D I weigh about 10 lbs less now than I did in grade 8 :) Also: muscles.
  • iyabean
    iyabean Posts: 30
    Options
    Nope.

In fact, I weigh less now than when I was half my age (11). Feels good, man.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Nope.

In fact, I weigh less now than when I was half my age (11). Feels good, man.

these! i cried the day i tried on my high-school jeans and they FELL OFF! it is such a good feeling. and now i know that i can never go back to that way of living. i know i will be healthier for the rest of my life. :)
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ha! No. I am thinner now than ever before. I went through a tragic growth/fat spurt during puberty and when I quit gymnastics, and I grew 4 inches and gained about 50 pounds in one year. I went from being a little girl to over 150 pounds. By the time I graduated high school I was over 185 pounds. I am now 150 pounds (and have been as low as 145). Just because you were overweight as an adolescent doesn't mean you have to be big forever. You can break the cycle.

ETA: I was a size 13 in middle school. I'm a size 5/7 now.