Ladies who had babies in your late 30s!!

Options
2»

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My mom was 38 when she had me way back in 1966. She had no complications. The only drawback for her is that she always felt like the oldest mother at school events. The biggest drawback for me is that I am 46 years old and my mom is 84, and I know I won't have her in my life much longer. The good side of that is that we travel and vacation together a lot so I get a lot of time with her.

I was 21 when I had my son. I wasn't nearly as patient of a mom as I would have been had I been older. The upside is that get to enjoy my 40s with my husband and no small children. LOL
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Good advice, thank you OP for posting this!
    I don't have kids, but will be 32 next week and have started to wonder if it might be too late to have kids :(
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had my kids at 36 and 38. They are now 18 and 19. No problems during pregnancy. Both were born with no meds au natural. I loved being pregnant and giving birth. I was sad that I couldn't afford to have any more!.The worst thing about having kids later in life is going through menopause when your kids are going through their own hormonal swings. The house was very irrational for a while. We have all since gotten CALMER

I also wish I could have done more with the kids, skiiing, biking, hiking, camping, not sure if that was from my old age or just laziness
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 35. I had some minor issues but those weren't age related, just me being fat and some genetic stuff. But my baby is two now and totally perfect. :)
  • Amym1727
    Amym1727 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my son at 35 with no complications. I had my two daughters when I was in my 20's, and even though it took my body longer to recover (get back in shape) with my son, I have so much more patience now that I'm older. I used to have this fear that I would be the "older" mom at my son's events, but that's not the case at all. It's common in this day and age for women to have children later in life. Good luck!
  • Svolt
    Svolt Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My mother had three daughters in her 30's. She was 37, turning 38 when she gave birth to me. She had no complications during her three pregnancies.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had mine at 37 and 40. I worked full time during both pregnancies. I did not enjoy being pregnant because I was tired all the time! Although, the hardest part of being pregnant was the clothes. Since most women that are having babies are in their 20s, maternity clothed are designed for 20 year olds - not 40 year olds!

I didn't have any major complications during pregnancy. I did have 2 C sections because the first was breach and I had low amniotic fluid - so the doctor could not do a version. Second one was elected because I am 5 ft 3 inches and worried about a vbac.

My mom was 42 when she had me - so I come from a family of old moms! Saddest part is that my mom died before I had my girls. Makes me sad to think I may never meet my grandchildren.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had my gorgeous 9 week old boy <<< at almost 36. Very easy pregnancy, far easier than my first boy at 29 who was induced 6 weeks prem after my waters breaking at 25 weeks. Two miscarriages between them both at age 34.
    The last pregnancy I was even painting internal walls a week before he arrived!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Blessed with a surprise pregnancy at 36, delivered an absolutely healthy, perfect 8lb 9oz baby girl at age 37 at 40 weeks after a perfectly healthy pregnancy.

There are some concerns with birth defects after the age of 35 -- specifically chromosomal disorders that result from aging eggs. Otherwise, if the mother is healthy there are not big concerns.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I went off birth control at 37. Nothing happened until I was 42. I was super-paranoid about the health of my daughter and did everything I could to have a healthy pregnancy. If you read the WTE book's chapter on complications, so many things are out of your control. But the biggest thing you CAN control is your weight and, to some extent, pre-eclampsia. I walked every day and cut out salt. It is completely possible to have a healthy pregnancy in your 30's and 40's. But from my experience, the biggest issue is your drop in fertility as you age. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

And, by the way, there is a facebook group called "Motherhood Later Than Sooner". They also have a website: www.motherlater.com. I am a member but have no financial stake in this group. I thought I'd mention it in case anyone wanted to check it out.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    I have had 8 children. My first was born a month after I turned 20. She was a month early and 3oz high enough to not be considered a preemie. My other kids were born when I was 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 35, and 37. The only other pregnancy I had trouble with was my 7th. I had placenta previa early on but it cleared its self up. I have been able to deliver all of my children naturally and all (except #1) without drugs.

My Sister-in-law had her 2nd child at 42 and everything went perfectly. The healthier you are when you get pregnant the better. Best wishes on expanding your family.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I had my kids at 36 and 38. They are now 18 and 19. No problems during pregnancy. Both were born with no meds au natural. I loved being pregnant and giving birth. I was sad that I couldn't afford to have any more!.The worst thing about having kids later in life is going through menopause when your kids are going through their own hormonal swings. The house was very irrational for a while. We have all since gotten CALMER

I also wish I could have done more with the kids, skiiing, biking, hiking, camping, not sure if that was from my old age or just laziness

I hear you about the whole menopause thing.
    I had mine at 25, 29 & 37.
    The 3rd pregnancy was definitely more taxing on my body than the first two, but I had crummy deliveries with the 1st & 3rd.
    I am in much better shape and do a lot more now with my daughter (now 9) than before with my sons (now 17 & 21).
    Hindsight is a great perspective.
    I like to think I'm more patient with her also, but she probably doesn't think the same way...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I had my first a year ago at age 38 and am planning another which will most likely arrive about the time I turn 40. My pregnancy was a breeze, thanks largely, I'm sure, to being super fit before and during. No problems at all (didn't even get morning sickness), easy delivery and a gorgeous, healthy baby girl. My sister also had her children at 38 and 40 without trouble.
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Good to see this post, I turned 32 last month and do not yet feel at all ready to be looking after children.. still a kid myself in my own head!
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Had my last child at the age of 36 so I was considered "high-risk"...this baby weighed 10 lbs., 5 oz...he has grown to be a wonderful young man! I was sent to a dr. for an amniocentesis but they kept telling me my chances of having a child with Down's was less than my chances of losing the baby from the procedure...I told them even if he had Down's I would be having the baby anyway so they settled on doing a Level II ultrasound....He was perfectly fine!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the babies - but my boss (I am her nanny) had her first baby at 41 and her second 18months later. She said they were very easy pregnancies. She just listened to her body and ate what she wanted to eat. Her Doctors were a bit worried and over protective - one wanted to book her for a C-section but changed his mind when he saw how complication free the pregnancy was.

Swimming was her main form of exercise and I think it helped that she was in very good health
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 and I am trying to conceive right now. I have hydrocephalus (water on the brain) and when I do get pregnant if I ever do it will be high risk because I have a shunt.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    30 and 39. Both were both C-sections but the pregnancies were uneventful. The C-sections were due to a medical problem I had on the first one that they felt doing a scheduled C-section would be better for and on the second- fetal distress upon contrations because I had tried to go into labor a week before so the placenta was trying to disentegrate. I was in much better shape for the second one. I had been doing Tae Kwon Do 2 hours a day, 5 days a week up till about 10 days before the birth.