Going over Macros and Micros

Options
I'm 20 years old, 220lb and 6"4' with moderate exercise.

My question is is it bad if I go over my macros and micros?? Do you gover over too??

My TDEE is 3511. and I eat around 2000 calories a day.

It's usually my total fat, sugars and sodium I tend to go over but I eat LOTS of fruits, vegie, wholegrain and fish whilst NEVER eating processed or junk!!!

Does it really matter how many fats and sugars (even if they are good) are in my diet???

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Many folks will point you to various conflicting studies on fats, in all likelihood. General consensus among reputable sources at this time is that going over on fats is not a big deal, provided you are getting sufficient protein and are not going over your TDEE (or TDEE minus a percentage; though your discrepancy between TDEE and reported caloric intake is potentially another issue).

Unless you're diabetic, prediabetic, or hypoglycemic, there's no real reason to track sugar separately from the other carbs. Stay within your calorie goal, and carb total, and you should be fine, assuming no additional factors.
  • JordanK7593
    JordanK7593 Posts: 47
    Options
    Many folks will point you to various conflicting studies on fats, in all likelihood. General consensus among reputable sources at this time is that going over on fats is not a big deal, provided you are getting sufficient protein and are not going over your TDEE (or TDEE minus a percentage; though your discrepancy between TDEE and reported caloric intake is potentially another issue).

Unless you're diabetic, prediabetic, or hypoglycemic, there's no real reason to track sugar separately from the other carbs. Stay within your calorie goal, and carb total, and you should be fine, assuming no additional factors.

Lots of big words.. What do you mean by "discrepancy between TDEE and reported caloric intake is potentially another issue"????

So I shouldn't worry about tracking my sugars and fats but make sure I'm below my carbs???
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Lots of big words.. What do you mean by "discrepancy between TDEE and reported caloric intake is potentially another issue"????

So I shouldn't worry about tracking my sugars and fats but make sure I'm below my carbs???
    If you got your TDEE from this site's calculator, there's a deficit already built in (assuming you're aiming to lose weight). Going too far below that deficit - having as high a discrepancy between TDEE and reported caloric intake as you say - can stall your weight loss.

You should make sure you are getting as close to all your protein as possible - and more is generally fine unless your doctor said otherwise for some specific medical condition. You should try to stay within your calorie goals - as close to TDEE (or TDEE minus some percent, depending, again, on how TDEE was derived) without going over as you can, with as few days over as you can manage. You should exercise; depending on how TDEE was derived, this MAY give you more calories to eat. You should see success.